WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2019

Options

Replies

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,523 Member
    Options
    NYKaren "google class for beginners"? Would you tell us more about the class, how you found it and the nifty tricks you learned?
    Karen in BC takes a long time to get energy back after a bout of pneumonia. Listen to your body, you REALLY don't want to relapse.
    Lisa paid off 75K in 3 years? Amazing!
    Carol "I don't really feel old" me neither, except for my knees which are pooped from line dancing the third time this week. ;)
    Heather safe travels.
    Ginny in OH and Laura in LA, well done on the steps!
    welcome meljoemom, let us know what you'd like us to call you and your general location.

Read all the posts but too pooped to respond. Line dance gals tried a new place tonight, very pleasant, we may be back a couple of Fridays a month. But boy, an extra 2 hrs of dancing over my normal for the week and I'm bushed!

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    walk one more step 3/30, 60 g protein 3/30, rx/vits 3/30, meditate 2/30, knee exercises 2/30, SWSY 0/30, play with Tumble 3/30, hang up or purge art 0/4 AF 2/30.
    Word for 2019: "GOOD" good attitude, good food, good times, good choices, good enough, feel good, GOOD!
    04/05 LT: new line dance class-Y MT: play with Tumble-N ST: make tuna salad-Y
  • grogers511
    grogers511 Posts: 476 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    📙Accountability post for Friday, April 5th
    ✔️1. Carbs 50g max with no more than 25g per meal. (50g)
    ✔️2. Fiber 25g. (41g)
    ✔️3. Track in MFP. Complete the entry daily.
    ✔️4. Exercise - log 30 Fitbit minutes (34 Active minutes).
    ✖️5. No eating after 9pm. To prevent late night snacking & get a good 12 hour overnight fast.
    ✖️6. In bed by midnight.

• Felt better today.
    • Attempted to get up earlier after 7 hours of sleep. It didn’t work. Went back to bed and slept 2 more hours.
    Bright point today. Baseball season. Hubby likes hot dogs occasionally watching the game on TV at home. He made me a low carb chili dog bowl. No bun. Really proud he didn’t attempt to get me to eat the bun. (He frequently says - “1 bun isn’t going to kill you.” And if i could stop at the 1 bun - it wouldn’t. For me - the bun is like a gateway drug. Stayed within my macros for the day.

-- Ginger in Texas
    7tnq6lk1gxw6.png
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Well yesterday I got the grand total of 5,853 steps! (normally around 16,000) Started the day as usual with my early dog walk, came home and had breakfast, was starting to get ready to go sit with my dad whilst mum went shopping when I suddenly felt so dizzy. :( It knocked me for six and I started to feel sick, didn't know what to do with myself, couldn't lie down I felt worse. I sat very still and tried not to move my head. Had to call mum and say I was unwell but if she made a shopping list Paul (DS) would go shopping for her. Around 2pm I started to feel a little better, but felt groggy for the rest of the day. I have never felt so ill in my life!

Glad to say that I'm feeling much better today, but for some reason feel hungry.

All the talk about grocery shopping has made me think, since my dad has been poorly I have ordered online, but have noticed I am buying too many ready meals and not enough fresh food. I'm a vegetarian as is my daughter but my son still eats meat. I really should start cooking things from scratch again. I made a lovely Quorn mince cottage pie last week, but need to brush up on my herbs/spices etc to add a bit more flavour. I will cook chicken breast for my son and use Quorn or Soya for myself. I always cook a Sunday dinner as my grandson visits (another veggie much to my sons disgust!) and any left overs go into the croc pot/slow cooker for Monday. As my son works late 3 nights a week, I have been buying ready meals for him as I'm usually in bed by the time he gets home. I could just as easily leave something in the croc pot. I'll definitely have to give some more thought to our eating habits.

Better get a move on, I'm taking it steady today, and have a few things to do before I go get my dads papers and as it is Saturday there's the lottery that they do too to sort out. They keep me busy :)

PS The weather looks as if it's going to be sunny for your visit to York Heather - glad you brought the sunshine with you :)

Love to all <3
    Viv York UK
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,230 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    April is apparently stress awareness month.

For me, I have found that strenuous exercise helps. When I could run, a fast (for me) run helped and now that I've got a rowing machine, it can help too. Climbing stairs at work in the middle of a stressful day helps a bit as well. I wish I could go for brisk walks at lunch, but I've been too busy for months now.

Getting things done and off my long, long list of things to do helps as well. I have a sense of relief when I can take an item or two off the list.

Music can be helpful, and the type of music depends on my mood.

And reading before bed is something I look forward to.

What works for you?

Machka in Oz
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Machka - a cuddle with the dog, nature! I really feel better if I can go out and work in MY yard, I think it's a combo of exercise, accomplishing something, and doing something that is just for me...

Yes nature! I should have added that! :)

"Our" beach one evening recently ...

q6d1n5yhisp9.png

Machka in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,830 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies~
    I am up having my tea.. was just reading my colonoscopy procedure manual and it said no nuts or seeds the week before.oops I had some yesterday but wont have anymore this week.. going to start a bit of a fast for the next 5 days... the day before jello and clear liquids, and day of well i have to get the rest of the prep in my 5 hrs before procedure.. so say the procedure is at 7-8 am i have to drink this stuff at 2-3 am ohhh goodness thank goodness it isnt a regular accurance.(sp)
    Chris is coming today to finish today only a little bit to do, his helper was a no show and I had to get to work .so he is coming after I finish feeding DFIL.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Saturday -- Today my husband and I went for a bicycle ride!

First we went shopping for several things including roses and shelves. Then we cruised up the cycleway and back, over the new cycling and pedestrian bridge, and out to Fish Frenzy for dinner.

Distance: 16.01km
    Elevation: 142m
    Moving Time: 1:07:20
    Elapsed Time: 1:48:05
    Speed: Avg: 14.3km/h | Max: 24.8km/h

Machka in Oz
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,837 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! I didn't sleep well and have been awake since about 3:30am (out of bed since 4:30am). *sigh I think the reason is my body just decided it wasn't tired any more. I haven't had Trentin since Monday night; so I have been able to get a full eight hours every night! Last night my body seemed to think five hours of sleep was plenty. It happens, I guess.
    Machka- Depending on what kind of stress I am feeling, depends on what I do to relieve it. Example: IF my stress is causing me anger or due to anger/frustration with others, I need to do something physical and preferably cardio- like running, punching, kicking. My music for this has to be up tempo and slightly "angry", like some tracks from the Braveheart soundtrack, Eminem, a few Alanis Morissette songs, some of the darker 80s alternative stuff... If the stress is from things that I am letting bother me (to do lists, deadlines I have set for myself and likely won't meet) I need to make peace with myself over it. I usually do something more quiet and meditative like walking, sitting and just breathing, painting and sanding seem to be meditative for me as well. This music (if I play some; sometimes I don't) is usually softer and more of a classical bent. Enya, Andrea Bocelli, Braveheart tracks, Clair de Lune. Either way, both stress busters usually end with a playing of Viva la Vida by Coldplay as that is my ultimate mood lifter. Arms spread apart, face turned to the sky and spinning. Always. It works for me. :)
    Viv- Your "sick" feeling makes me nervous for you! Those symptoms you listed are heart attack symptoms. They could also be a blood sugar issue. If you have experienced them before, or if you do again, please have it checked out.
    Janet- Gorgeous family photo of your grandson's family! BAby Matthew is getting so big!
    Dana- Love the garden photos! Looks like it was a beautiful day!
    Michele- I must have missed something about Vince and the trains. Are they model trains? Does he make them or collect them? I grew up next door to a man who built a model train landscape in his basement. Hills, village, tunnels, trestles,many different engines and cars, people, etc...THEN, in his backyard (his backyard went about a half mile into the woods) he built a larger scale model train and tracks, complete with trestles, tunnels, a station, etc. with trains that people could ride on. He was always the conductor (complete with outfit) and would take neighborhood kids (and sometimes their parents) on rides through the woods.
    Welcome new ladies

I am going to stop here. I have to get my grocery list made so I can get out and get that done. Not adding the stress of a late start to my day! ttfn (Oh! That reminds me, I watched Christopher Robin last night. Very cute movie) xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Barbara My staff development center provides classes on topics/subjects that are meaningful to colleagues. Technology is growing and changing in the district (I remember when email was first introduced!) Anyway, this google class is teaching me how to move my microsoft word docs into google docs, share them with colleagues and start to develop my own google classroom which allows me to put notices on a site that is available to students and parents. It is tricky because we shift between the 2 "clouds" if I am understanding it correctly, one cloud is for communications between faculty/admin and the other cloud is safe for students and families to access. For me, I am used to communicating the old fashioned way, pick up the phone, write a note, send an email! But now things are moving to communicating through this "cloud". I am obviously not an early adopter or digital native but I do recognize that I can improve what I do. Here's an example, I have kids who lose their sheet music faster than you can say jiminy crickets! With this classroom site, the student goes to my virtual classroom, and downloads a pdf copy of the music, which means they don't have to wait to see me the following week to ask for another part---now that is a good thing, I just have to get comfortable with it.

The teacher was really kind, understanding, didn't roll her eyes at me when I didn't understand how to navigate between these "clouds" Overall I wish I could take a class with her all semester, but I only have one more class--I'm actually excited to do some homework so I can ask more questions! Wow, that's a good teacher.

Janetr I love the tuba!

NYKAREN
  • Machka9
    Options
    klanders30 wrote: »
    Barbara My staff development center provides classes on topics/subjects that are meaningful to colleagues. Technology is growing and changing in the district (I remember when email was first introduced!) Anyway, this google class is teaching me how to move my microsoft word docs into google docs, share them with colleagues and start to develop my own google classroom which allows me to put notices on a site that is available to students and parents. It is tricky because we shift between the 2 "clouds" if I am understanding it correctly, one cloud is for communications between faculty/admin and the other cloud is safe for students and families to access. For me, I am used to communicating the old fashioned way, pick up the phone, write a note, send an email! But now things are moving to communicating through this "cloud". I am obviously not an early adopter or digital native but I do recognize that I can improve what I do. Here's an example, I have kids who lose their sheet music faster than you can say jiminy crickets! With this classroom site, the student goes to my virtual classroom, and downloads a pdf copy of the music, which means they don't have to wait to see me the following week to ask for another part---now that is a good thing, I just have to get comfortable with it.

The teacher was really kind, understanding, didn't roll her eyes at me when I didn't understand how to navigate between these "clouds" Overall I wish I could take a class with her all semester, but I only have one more class--I'm actually excited to do some homework so I can ask more questions! Wow, that's a good teacher.

Janetr I love the tuba!

NYKAREN

OK, that's similar to what my university does. I can access all the course material from any computer or my phone. I can read it online or I can download it.

And when an assignment is ready to submit, we submit it online. Most classes have an 11:55 pm due time for assignments. Curiously, my current class has a 5 pm due time which is a bit of a pain because I'm at work then!

I've also got some of my own stuff on Google cloud ... especially things like assignments I've completed ... so that I can access them wherever I am. No more going into a panic that I've forgotten an assignment at home. :) I put some of the stuff for the cycling club we're with there too, in case we need it when we're out hosting or riding an event.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    Regarding techniques to deal with stress, none of mine are healthy, so you're making me think about this, Machka, which is a really good thing. When I simply can't change the way things are going with anything, or at least it feels that way, I change the color or cut of my hair. :D That's about as healthy as I get. I'm thinking I need to change that!

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

You've just reminded me, I was going to do my roots this weekend!

• 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Machka, Dana, Heather, and Janet ~ Thanks for sharing your photos of grands, beautiful flora, and a serene beach!

Heather ~ Safe trip for you and your husband.

Michele ~ Is your pool heated? It's still too chilly here in Georgia to open a pool.

Viv ~ Hope your illness passes and does not recur.

Lisa ~ Good to hear that your son is finding success! I firmly believe that many young people do so much better when they have some years pass between high school and college.

Drinking my third cup of coffee...I like it really hot and have to keep reheating in the microwave. Then, we will go visit the BnL and again try to make him realize he needs a power of attorney whether it be us or someone else he picks. Otherwise, it's going to court and they will get it done along with quite a deal of expense.

Carol in GA
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,999 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    :) A long time ago I remember dealing with stress (my marriage was a mess) by pruning the rhododendrons. They were old and did well with the pruning I did. At other times in my life, I've dealt with stress by baking (no wonder I had extra pounds that I didn't want). More recently I deal with stress by walking with or without dogs and riding my exercise bike.

Kate, congrats on your success with the Parkrun.

<3 Barbie from drizzly NW WA
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,818 Member
    Options
    Barbara - I think I would enjoy a line dance class, I should check into see what there is available around here. When I was working and looking everything was happening during the day and I couldn’t attend, but I could maybe do it while I’m jib searching.

Machka - I really relax after a stressful day by having a nice hot soak in the tub. I also really love a nice walk in nature, living where I do that doesn’t get to happen often though.

Viv - your spell yesterday sounds serious. I hope if it doesn’t recur, take care of you too.

Kelly - it must have been a nice break to not have Trentin every evening.

Karen in NY - the school that my Grandson is in used and online portal for homework, notices, etc. My daughter likes it because she can go check it and see what is happening without having to depend on him to tell her.

Carol - I agree with you about time between high school and college. I think too many take something that they really don’t like when they get into it, but they’ve spent so much it’s hard to change.

Today I am going to finish the invitations for the bachelorette party and think about designing some more wedding invitations, my daughter offered my name to a wedding buy/sell site to a bride looking for a particular style. I will be meeting her this week.

I totally revamped my resume again yesterday based on the recommendations from the career counsellor. I now need to do the cover letter and get it sent off to her.

I don’t know if we have the Grands today or not, either way I need to go get some groceries.

Tracey In Edmonton
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,743 Member
    Options
    =