April 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless - love that pack too! If mine doesn't work out I will give it a try!
    @amirahdaboss - I am glad you found out what is going on as a result of the accident and that they can do something about it. Also very happy to see you running!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo - looks much happier out in the leaves!
  • Lazy_Bones_85
    Lazy_Bones_85 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    MTD is 18.3, goal for April is 100 miles.
    I have a 5K race on Sat April 13.
    My "A" race of the summer is a 10K on July 4.
    My "A" race of the winter is a 15K in late January.

04.01: 3.5M Interval Run (Pace 7:42) Total: 3.5
    04.02: 4.5M Easy Run (Pace 9:02) Total: 8.0
    04.03: Scheduled Rest Day
    04.04: 3.1M Pace Run (Pace 8:15) Total: 11.1
    04.05: 7.2M Long Run (Pace 9:43) Total: 18.3
    04.06: Scheduled Rest Day

I wear a Fitbit (Charge HR 3). I've started paying more attention to my HR. I notice when I'm doing intervals or a pace run and running hard (7:45-8:30 pace), my HR can be in the 175-185 range. I am fit, 33, F, with no known health issues so I figure this is normal. When I run easy at around 9:00-9:45, my heart rate isn't that much lower, maybe around 160. When I looked back at all my runs over the past few years ( I got a Fitbit in Jan 2015), I notice the same trend- no huge HR differences between an easy run and a hard run. I notice differences in my breathing and "effort" during the run. I travel frequently for work so some days I am forced to run on a treadmill (different treadmills) and if I test my Fitbit to the hand sensors, it's usually within 3-4 beats. Is it normal to have only a 15 beat difference despite a 1:30/M difference in pace regularly? Another example: On Jan 1, I ran a 100 minute long run at 9:31/M. No stress, perfect running temp of 57 under cloudy/misty conditions, HR was 166. On Feb 17, I raced a 15K at 8:54/M with a heart rate of 179 at 51 degrees and misty conditions. Very similar elevation changes, same max elevation (the race was in the same city I live and run in regularly), an almost 40 second pace difference, yet a small 11 beats per minute HR difference. When I bike ride or walk, my HR stays in the 110-130 range so it's not like all exercise makes me have a high heart rate.

I also understand that the internet is not the place to get a heart diagnosis. I just know that some runners really pay attention to zones, and I find that no matter what speed I run at, regardless of how easy and comfortable the pace feels, my HR is rarely less than 160. My resting HR at night is usually in the low-mid 50s. I can't really slow my pace down any more when I run because I feel then that my form changes and I actually work harder. I'm more or less curious if anyone else experiences little change in HR despite changes in pace.

I hope everyone is enjoying the springtime! Have a great weekend!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    @amirahdaboss oh that sounds terrible! I hope is something that can be addressed with PT. Anyway, don’t hesitate to seek options. Keep us updated.

@shanaber thanks for the dog grooming reply.

@girlinahat Something coming your way and a letter will also find you. I had the thought this morning that we might consider this to be a group run.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    and my first 26.2 tomorrow.
    if i at least start, then i can see how far i can go. i wasn't trying to make any records other than to finish. minimal pace is 15mph before the sag bus grabs you. i think there is 1 at 10k and one at 13.1
    15 mph minimum??? While you said you wasn't trying to make any records, at that speed you'll crack the marathon in 01:44:53 and pretty much have no choice in the matter. :wink:

I can barely manage 15mph on my bike... I bet the sag bus starts 30 minutes into the race or something like that.
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Is it normal to have only a 15 beat difference despite a 1:30/M difference in pace regularly?

In my sample of 1 (and oh look! we're the same age), I think it's not uncommon to see.

My situation is the other way around - I have trouble getting my heart rate up significantly. My super easy 5km run today had me at 140bpm. A 1500m time trial last summer, in the heat of the day, averaged out at 157bpm. I can barely get it up to 160bpm and only for a very short period of time.

A friend of mine is on the opposite end. His HR shoots up to 175+bpm and stays there whenever he's moving faster than a slow jog. I did a long run with him when he'd first gotten a HRM. His watch was set to alert him whenever he went past 180bpm. We were running for nearly two hours, the damn thing never shut up. :/
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,442 Member
    Options
    Is it normal to have only a 15 beat difference despite a 1:30/M difference in pace regularly?

To give you another data set:
    I too have a hard time getting my heart rate up significantly. Normal easy runs are about a 120 BPM. Resting HR is in the very low 40's. Granted, I don't do a lot of speed work, so my average run is usually at an easy effort (9-9:30/mi). The last 'race' I did was a 15K a few months ago. Averaged 8:02/mi pace, and HR shot up to 140.
    I have had my watch tell me my HR was 180 or 200 a few times, but I write those off as cadence lock errors.
    Everyone is different, so it is hard to compare specific HR numbers to others. But general trends are helpful to see.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    MTD is 18.3, goal for April is 100 miles.
    I have a 5K race on Sat April 13.
    My "A" race of the summer is a 10K on July 4.
    My "A" race of the winter is a 15K in late January.

04.01: 3.5M Interval Run (Pace 7:42) Total: 3.5
    04.02: 4.5M Easy Run (Pace 9:02) Total: 8.0
    04.03: Scheduled Rest Day
    04.04: 3.1M Pace Run (Pace 8:15) Total: 11.1
    04.05: 7.2M Long Run (Pace 9:43) Total: 18.3
    04.06: Scheduled Rest Day

I wear a Fitbit (Charge HR 3). I've started paying more attention to my HR. I notice when I'm doing intervals or a pace run and running hard (7:45-8:30 pace), my HR can be in the 175-185 range. I am fit, 33, F, with no known health issues so I figure this is normal. When I run easy at around 9:00-9:45, my heart rate isn't that much lower, maybe around 160. When I looked back at all my runs over the past few years ( I got a Fitbit in Jan 2015), I notice the same trend- no huge HR differences between an easy run and a hard run. I notice differences in my breathing and "effort" during the run. I travel frequently for work so some days I am forced to run on a treadmill (different treadmills) and if I test my Fitbit to the hand sensors, it's usually within 3-4 beats. Is it normal to have only a 15 beat difference despite a 1:30/M difference in pace regularly? Another example: On Jan 1, I ran a 100 minute long run at 9:31/M. No stress, perfect running temp of 57 under cloudy/misty conditions, HR was 166. On Feb 17, I raced a 15K at 8:54/M with a heart rate of 179 at 51 degrees and misty conditions. Very similar elevation changes, same max elevation (the race was in the same city I live and run in regularly), an almost 40 second pace difference, yet a small 11 beats per minute HR difference. When I bike ride or walk, my HR stays in the 110-130 range so it's not like all exercise makes me have a high heart rate.

I also understand that the internet is not the place to get a heart diagnosis. I just know that some runners really pay attention to zones, and I find that no matter what speed I run at, regardless of how easy and comfortable the pace feels, my HR is rarely less than 160. My resting HR at night is usually in the low-mid 50s. I can't really slow my pace down any more when I run because I feel then that my form changes and I actually work harder. I'm more or less curious if anyone else experiences little change in HR despite changes in pace.

I hope everyone is enjoying the springtime! Have a great weekend!

FIRST ASK A CARDIOLOGIST IF YOU HAVE CONCERNS ABOUT YOUR HEART...

However, nothing you said seems wrong to me. :) So many things can impact HR. Food you have eaten, weather, mental condition, and so on.