020|300 Miles - 29:19
    030|300 Miles - 29:45
    040|300 Miles - 30:40
    050|300 Miles - 31:12
    060|300 Miles - 30:59
    070|300 Miles - 29:33
    080|300 Miles - 30:34
    090|300 Miles - 29:52

Trying to get out on the water today. Kayaking, swimming, or Stand-Up Paddleboarding. Failing that, a 5 mile walk downtown is my backup. It's gonna rain for days so need to get out and get my sunshine while I can.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Wednesday
    Early morning speed work with my PT

Was supposed to do a 5 mile run but the weather was horrendous so I went to the gym for a cardio blast

1000m run/250m row
    800m run/500m row
    500m run/750m row
    300m run/1000m row
    Treadmill didn't show 50m so rounded up to the next 100m

Then I moved over to the very small free weight area of the gym to work chest.

Bench pyramid: 35kg up to 44kg in 1kg increments
    Incline dumbbell bench 3x10@8kg
    Decline dumbbell bench 3x7@12.5kg

Finished off with 5 sets of 10 burpee box jumps (well it was only a step but I worked with what I had available)
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    An hour and 45 min in a 4 sitting 2 seat (my typical seat when I'm in a 4 at the moment). It was an ok row, the water was beautiful for the most part. Our main set consisted of 5 five minute pieces broken up by various drills.

I felt like timing was a mess for everyone and I was having trouble not rushing the recovery. I'm not sure if that was an issue of not being used to the boat (it's been a month and a half since I was in a 4), the ratio of our stroke seat, the ratio of the person sitting in 3, etc. That said, at least I was really cognizant of the fact that timing and ratio were an issue. I also felt really good about some of the power 10s we did in terms of my suspension.

I'll probably cox during Saturday's practice, if not one of my practices next week.
  • eromligyppah
    eromligyppah Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    21 DFX Dirty 30 extreme
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Catch-up report: Rowed a four Tuesday night, kinda choppy water but manageable; besides, we had a coach/safety launch so a little more conditions risk is acceptable. Too much East wind to row yesterday as planned (West would've been fine :( ). Spin class this morning.
    aokoye wrote: »
    <snip>
    I felt like timing was a mess for everyone and I was having trouble not rushing the recovery. I'm not sure if that was an issue of not being used to the boat (it's been a month and a half since I was in a 4), the ratio of our stroke seat, the ratio of the person sitting in 3, etc. That said, at least I was really cognizant of the fact that timing and ratio were an issue. I also felt really good about some of the power 10s we did in terms of my suspension.

I'll probably cox during Saturday's practice, if not one of my practices next week.

If you can get away with it, consider feeling for the boat rhythm, then close your eyes for a few strokes and work off feel/sound.

It's a fun thing to do in cox, if a boat's rhythm is off, assuming the coach allows some alone time and freedom: Have them take ten to focus fully on the boat feel, and have the stroke work on being very steady/predictable. Maybe add some extra focus pieces if there's still an obvious problem other than pure rhythm (ten to catch together, match handle height or whatever the big-deal issue is.), but make the "focus on feel" piece the final one pre-drill.

Then have them close their eyes for ten. Most boats get better, not worse . . . sometimes much better. Most rowers who haven't done it are surprised. (You don't necessarily have to tell them long ahead of time that eyes closed is coming ;) . . . but know your boat!) It won't work well with total newbie beginners, but is fine even with low intermediates (they need to have basic stroke mechanics kind of internalized).
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Catch-up report: Rowed a four Tuesday night, kinda choppy water but manageable; besides, we had a coach/safety launch so a little more conditions risk is acceptable. Too much East wind to row yesterday as planned (West would've been fine :( ). Spin class this morning.
    <snip>

If you can get away with it, consider feeling for the boat rhythm, then close your eyes for a few strokes and work off feel/sound.

It's a fun thing to do in cox, if a boat's rhythm is off, assuming the coach allows some alone time and freedom: Have them take ten to focus fully on the boat feel, and have the stroke work on being very steady/predictable. Maybe add some extra focus pieces if there's still an obvious problem other than pure rhythm (ten to catch together, match handle height or whatever the big-deal issue is.), but make the "focus on feel" piece the final one pre-drill.

Then have them close their eyes for ten. Most boats get better, not worse . . . sometimes much better. Most rowers who haven't done it are surprised. (You don't necessarily have to tell them long ahead of time that eyes closed is coming ;) . . . but know your boat!) It won't work well with total newbie beginners, but is fine even with low intermediates (they need to have basic stroke mechanics kind of internalized).
    Yay for getting to row but boo for choppy water. I'm slowly getting used to rowing through small wakes without feeling really nervous. It's a bit of a work in progress.

Yeah we definitely row 10 or 20 strokes with eyes closed sometimes. We did last Thursday actually. I was kind of surprised we didn't do more drills to focus on timing today, though it may have been an issue of trying to fit in the five 5min pieces while also allowing for us to warm up and cool down. That and our coach was keeping an eye on an 8 that was being coxed by someone who had never coxed before so while we had a very capable cox who also did some good coaching, it wasn't our coach.

It looks like we're going to do some feet out drills on Saturday but there's also a very high chance of me coxing so...it's funny because I was going to volunteer to cox today, but my coach was running late and I was in deep conversation with someone by the time he got there. Though at the same time...we'll be launchless on Saturday so me coxing for my second time on a pretty busy river (other crews, dragon boats, outriggers, and fishermen) actually would probably be a very bad idea.
  • CentaurusSoter
    CentaurusSoter Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    5 more miles on foot. That's 15 miles total and I haven't even hit the lake yet. Good day so far.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    <snip>

It looks like we're going to do some feet out drills on Saturday but there's also a very high chance of me coxing so...it's funny because I was going to volunteer to cox today, but my coach was running late and I was in deep conversation with someone by the time he got there. Though at the same time...we'll be launchless on Saturday so me coxing for my second time on a pretty busy river (other crews, dragon boats, outriggers, and fishermen) actually would probably be a very bad idea.

You'd do fine. You're the cox: You can make them slow down, take a break, "check down hard, now!", or whatever you need to do to keep them safe. They don't need to know why you're doing what you're doing. Keep confidence in your voice, and err on the side of safety. :)
  • firef1y72
    Options
    Thursday

1 mile warm up run, finally getting some speed back one of my fastest miles in a while

Legs.
    First time deadlifting this year, pyramids starting at 40kg and increasing by 2.5kg a set up to 62.5kg them 1 rep at 65kg/70kg/75kg/80kg.
    Still another 19.5kg to get back to my previous 1 rep pr but not a bad start.

Then supersettted straight leg kb deadlifts and swings (3x10@12kg) will definitely be increasing that weight.

Finished with standing calf raises (20kg) supersetted with single leg push downs (amazed at how much glute strength still got)

Moved straight on to 30min PT
    4 rounds of

50 Jack's
    40 squats (bum to floor)
    30 ladders
    20 push ups
    10 burpees.

Then had circuits this evening
  • sarebearr
    sarebearr Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Tonight's plan:

Romanian Deadlift: 3 sets, 20 reps
    Squat: 3 sets, 20 reps
    Push Press: 3 sets, 10 reps

Hip Thrusts: 3 sets, 20 reps
    Standing Single Arm Cable Row: 3 sets, 15 reps
    Russian Kettlebell Swing: 3 sets, 20 reps

Pushups: 3 sets of 10
    Side Plank with Arm Extension: 3 sets, 15 reps
    Pull Ups: Until failure
  • rldeclercq4
    rldeclercq4 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Bi’s, tri’s, obliques for about 25 minutes then a 3 mile run
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    For the first time in nearly 2 weeks (thanks to 'not measles')... I exercised. Short bike ride.
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Today, a 65 minute walk followed by 45 minutes of mowing the lawn! lol Tomorrow? Hoping for a sweet 5+ mile hike on some back trails. (Followed by another 45 minutes of mowing the lawn, danged lawn won't stop growing! :D )
  • Finafoshizzle93
    Finafoshizzle93 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    6 mile run at 9:25 average per mile
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    Rest day. Actually went out for lunch and had a great Mexican food plate, something I seldom due nowadays. Call it a light cardio day as I chowed down. Back at it tomorrow.
  • byebyebi93
    byebyebi93 Posts: 7 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Today was the first day I've intentionally set out to work out since my late teens, and I walked for 26 minutes, aerobics style, with the pointy elbows and all, lol! I'm working a gym membership into my budget in a few weeks and since I haven't worked out in so long, I want to slowly kind of reintroduce my body to all the things it thought I'd left behind when I quit cheerleading lol!! Not anything to brag about (especially compared to everyone else's, my God you guys are impressive!) But I did it without talking myself out if it or anything so I count it as a win.
  • Whey125
    Whey125 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Friday: rest day but I did 20 mins aerobics
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Yoga...
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I plan on after work getting in a 3 mile walk, as long as the weather allows it. Happy Friday, everyone!
  • firef1y72
    Options
    30 min PT, boxing, running, squat jumps, press ups, lunge jumps and a few burpees as a punishment for not being quick enough

Tabata
    Total body conditioning (legs bums and tums)

5 mile run in the rain and hail