May 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Very late to this month's challenge but i have been getting out there. 4 miles today and that's the last run before my half marathon on Sunday, few niggles in my knee but not bad. Can't believe it's come round so fast! The weather has been pretty bad here, on Wednesday it was pouring all day and 8 degrees. If it's like that on Sunday I don't think I'll be running as I am not good with cold. Forecast isn't looking too bad but it is going to be a cold morning so I need to find a few layers i don't mind losing. Any last minute tips for a novice half marathoner welcome. I am not going be fast, I am aiming for 3 hours, but I want to finish.

Enjoy it, trust your training, after you finish make sure you walk for a while and STRETCH!!!!!

This is a big thing that novice racers get wrong to their peril. After a race, you need a cool down period. If you stop and sit you are likely to pass out. Drink good liquids, eat something when your stomach is ready, walk a while. Stretching like @eleanorhawkins will help prevent DOMS too. The important thing it to focus on coming down for a slow gentle landing after the race, and not crashing hard.

Thank you both. I will try and remember this. I need to keep moving as I get very cold, very quickly, especially when tired and then it can all go bad very quickly. I am getting my kit ready now and have packed warm comfy clothes for the way home but I will instruct hubby to meet me at the finish with a warm layer, and to make me keep moving. What counts as 'good liquids'?
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Very late to this month's challenge but i have been getting out there. 4 miles today and that's the last run before my half marathon on Sunday, few niggles in my knee but not bad. Can't believe it's come round so fast! The weather has been pretty bad here, on Wednesday it was pouring all day and 8 degrees. If it's like that on Sunday I don't think I'll be running as I am not good with cold. Forecast isn't looking too bad but it is going to be a cold morning so I need to find a few layers i don't mind losing. Any last minute tips for a novice half marathoner welcome. I am not going be fast, I am aiming for 3 hours, but I want to finish.

Enjoy it, trust your training, after you finish make sure you walk for a while and STRETCH!!!!!

This is a big thing that novice racers get wrong to their peril. After a race, you need a cool down period. If you stop and sit you are likely to pass out. Drink good liquids, eat something when your stomach is ready, walk a while. Stretching like @eleanorhawkins will help prevent DOMS too. The important thing it to focus on coming down for a slow gentle landing after the race, and not crashing hard.

Thank you both. I will try and remember this. I need to keep moving as I get very cold, very quickly, especially when tired and then it can all go bad very quickly. I am getting my kit ready now and have packed warm comfy clothes for the way home but I will instruct hubby to meet me at the finish with a warm layer, and to make me keep moving. What counts as 'good liquids'?

Stuff with sugar and electrolytes that sites well in your stomach. Gatorade, Nunn, whatever works well for you.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,657 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options

Stuff with sugar and electrolytes that sites well in your stomach. Gatorade, Nunn, whatever works well for you.

I fueled my half with jelly babies and water every couple of miles, and my husband waited for me at the finish line with a chocolate milkshake. Someone told me at some point it was a good recovery drink, and as a chocoholic I think the thought of that kept me going towards the end!
    Definitely get changed into warm, dry clothes as soon as you can in those conditions! I don't know whether it's a thing where you are, but often here local gyms collaborate with races by allowing runners to use their showers afterwards either for free or for a symbolic amount (like 1€) which they give to charity. If anything like that is possible it might also help?

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

I fueled my half with jelly babies and water every couple of miles, and my husband waited for me at the finish line with a chocolate milkshake. Someone told me at some point it was a good recovery drink, and as a chocoholic I think the thought of that kept me going towards the end!
    Definitely get changed into warm, dry clothes as soon as you can in those conditions! I don't know whether it's a thing where you are, but often here local gyms collaborate with races by allowing runners to use their showers afterwards either for free or for a symbolic amount (like 1€) which they give to charity. If anything like that is possible it might also help?

Good point. Chocolate milk (or milkshake) is like the best thing ever after a race, IMO :D
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options

I spent the morning taking my mom to the cardiologist’s office for a med check then running errands. She’s not feeling so good the last couple of weeks since her arrhythmia returned. The doctor had suggested trying to manage her symptoms with medication, trying another cardioversion, or doing an ablation. Mom went with the least obtrusive option (medication) but I’m not confident after today that it’s going to work. I love her and want her to feel better, but it’s so hard to keep her spirits up. She wants to just accept feeling awful all the time, but that’s what got her stuck in the hospital in the first place.

Dad went through much the same until about 9 months ago. He was able to be medication managed, and had already had one cardioversion for Atrial fibrillation, with more medication to help it stick...until it didn't. His persistent arrhythmia was waking him up at night and he was symptomatic at rest. I was finally able to talk him into the ablation. 9 months later he is off all but the more essential medications, and his doctor is hoping to start weaning down the blood pressure and anticoagulant medications soon. I hope your mom does well with medication management, but you may want to start planting seeds about ablation ma'am.

That sounds pretty familiar, and tracks with what I'm hearing from mom's doctors. I'm currently working on convincing her to get a sleep study done (we're pretty sure that sleep apnea was the underlying cause of the heart failure) - she gets overwhelmed easy so focusing on one thing at a time seems to help.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I was exhausted when I got home but tried journaling about how I was feeling and I think it helped. I’d love to run but I know I’d want to push it too hard. So instead I’m going to take a nap. Therapy this afternoon is definitely needed.
    I journal all the time. I started when my husband was in the hospital and I felt I didn't really have the ability to talk to anyone about my feelings. (I had to be there 24/7, so couldn't talk in front of him.) After he passed away, journaling was my saving grace. Hope your mom can find the right combination/procedure to help her have a better quality of life.

I'm so sorry about your husband - I know that death comes for us all but it's so much easier to pretend it's not real... until it is.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Great job @ereck44 on your mini marathon!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,055 Member
    Options
    @simcon1 Sorry to hear about your friend. Hope he recovers soon.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    I’m down in Blenheim with a girlfriend this weekend for the Vineyard Half. As it’s a Saturday event we’re all done and dusted and are sitting back in our motel room drinking the bottle of bubbles we got in lieu of a finishers medal (no complaints here).

Starting the race I had no real idea of what time to expect - the course is flat but through vineyards so maybe 75 percent was on grass, with 20 percent on gravel, and just a little road running here and there. The weather was perfect: cool and clear, and the scenery was stunning. When we weren’t in the vines we were ruining along the top of stop banks by the river.

As an ‘off-road’ event and a destination half my only wish was to go sub-2 hours. A friend had run 1:56 last year and it was in the back of my mind to beat her. As it turned out, while grassy, they had mown it short and the ground was hard packed and more level than expected so times were faster than expected.

Not only did I come in under two hours, I managed to squeak in under 1:50. Totally thrilled. Even better, I placed 7th of 100 in my age group!
    c03sw6c2twf0.png

qykxahyfgpc5.jpeg

fl17hazaw4jt.jpeg
    [spoiler/]
    Congratulations! Awesome stuff and mmmmm wine so good!