WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2019

Options

Replies

• trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Machka, I'm a map person, and your lunchtime walking map makes me just drool! That and the picture of the lovely setting for the cenotaph. I assume it's to commemorate war dead?

NY Karen! What a great opportunity for you AND for the kids! I'm envious! Although I'm seeing "Million Dollar Quartet" in a few weeks here in the town where I first saw it when it originated in our own Village Theater. They're bringing it back up due to popular demand. I LOVE musicals!

Lisa in AR, can you tolerate spinach, raisins or other iron rich foods? I would think the fiber in the greens would sort of offset any negative reactions. Or, if you like it as I do, liver once a week? I hope your problems get reduced or eliminated (VERY bad pun!) soon.

Heather UK, I'm delighted to hear that the trip was worth it! It sounds as if the visit AND the journey went well!

Went and got my "shot in the eye" today for my macular degeneration. The Dr. saw some improvement today so we're cautiously extending the time between shots to 6 weeks from 4. That doesn't hurt my feelings at all, though the shots ARE more or less pain-free. However, I'll do whatever it takes to preserve my sight.

I haven't been getting out for brief walks as I promisedyself I would, and though my choices have been healthy and withiny guidelines, I've replied a great deal on prepared frozen foods. That being said, I have never been all that interested in cooking since it is just for myself. For a dollar or two more, I get just the nutrients I need, with little or no waste. I have been trying my hand at steel cut oats in the morning, though, and that's worked out well. I presoak them the night before so they cook faster.

I have been getting to be most nights before midnight, too. Since I sleep a solid 8.5-9 hours, that really helps, but I've always loved lazing in bed in the morning. Not sleeping, but plsnningy day, checking for messages or email, just watching the cats and the weather some mornings. This time of the evening (9pm) is the tail end of my peak energy time, which now begins around noon. No wonder I loved seeing shift!

Sharon, tapering down, Near Seattle.
  • Luxyp
    Luxyp Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Goals for May (even though I am late to join this group):
    Run - 6x week
    Sleep > 6 hours per night (my issue is I can’t stay asleep)
    Food < 1200 calories of natural, healthy food (no sugar or processed food; and eat calorie dense foods only 1x day)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,107 Member
    Options
    What happened to short flus?

I recall:

Day 1: feel icky.

Days 2-4: feel like I'm going to die with raging fever, nausea & vomiting, etc.

Days 5&6: recovery.

And done.

Now we seem to get flus that last 6 weeks rather than 6 days.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka - It seems these people that are supposed experts are causing you a lot more work than they are at providing you help. Unbelievable.

Yeah ... they stress me out. Got the assessment back and will be discussing a few points with them. They just don't "get" it.

However, they were all right with some of it.

So maybe I just need to roll one eye instead of both of them. :lol: But a little part of me was really hoping they'd get it right and that I wouldn't have to call a meeting or something. Oh well ... on it goes.

Katla49 wrote: »
    (((Machka))): Is there a higher level of management where you could take your complaints about the RTW worker? Can you request that a different person be assigned? :huh?:

I'm now in conversation with 5 different people. Unfortunately, I don't think it's getting any better.
  • Machka9
    Options
    trucker743 wrote: »
    Machka, I'm a map person, and your lunchtime walking map makes me just drool! That and the picture of the lovely setting for the cenotaph. I assume it's to commemorate war dead?

Yes, the cenotaph is for all the wars ...

21922868663_52da33c469_c.jpg

And this is more of what I saw as I walked along the waterfront ... :)

22330093778_75d90ef8e7_c.jpg

40682652913_6787612841_c.jpg

trucker743 wrote: »
    Went and got my "shot in the eye" today for my macular degeneration. The Dr. saw some improvement today so we're cautiously extending the time between shots to 6 weeks from 4. That doesn't hurt my feelings at all, though the shots ARE more or less pain-free. However, I'll do whatever it takes to preserve my sight.

That just sent shudders down my spine!!!!

I don't mind getting shots in the arm. I don't mind bloodwork. Medical people can do a lot of things to me. But I have a real "thing" about my eyes ... or anyone else's eyes. And shots in the eye .............. I might have to be sedated for something like that!!

Machka in Oz

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,668 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Ummm...Pip? You do know that you married a dream, right? lol Love that pic of Kirby! Once upon a time I dated a few guys with that "look". The carefree, surfer guy look (with hair just long enough to bother my mom).
    Michele- I don't think you need to fret about Pete and Denise going places without you or being gone all day. I don't mean any offense by what I am about to say, so please take it in the kind way I am intending, I think they are just feeling the need for their time alone. Or alone with the baby. You have been with them a while and I think they are ready to test their parenting wings out on their own. All new young parents/couples get this way after extended visits from mothers/mother in laws. As I said, don't feel bad about that; be proud! YOu raised a daughter that can DO this and recognizes that she CAN do it! You are still needed as a mom/grandma; just not round the clock. ANd that is a good thing! I am sure you are ready to get back to your own home and life, as well! Just enjoy these last few days/hours with them and PJ, give them extra hugs and stop stressing about things!
    NY Karen- That is a show that will stick with those kids for their lifetime! I have always wanted to see Lion King on stage. Haven't yet, though.
    Machka- My hubby gets the flu often. He also gets the flu shot. I do have to say that the older he has gotten, the flu just seems to hang in there longer. I think because I am surrounded by little germ machines, and have been for 25 years, my immune system is iron clad. I hardly get sick. A cold here and there, and if I catch it early enough, it is soon gone. That is a very "knock on wood" statement; but I hope my strong immune system stays with me my entire life.
    Sharon- Gah! A needle in the eye! ugh! If I ever have to have that done, I will want to bring my DH with me just so I can watch him pass out from the sight of it. lol at least I would get some entertainment out of that! (He passed out when I had an epidural with my youngest)
    Beth- So happy your son's oral surgery went well. Aren't children's hospitals amazing?! We have a really great one, nearby, and I have visited from time to time and the staff, volunteers, and families are just so upbeat, fun and there is a kind of palpable joyous/hopeful vibe on all of the floors. Special people!
    Mary- So glad your sister's fall didn't end up with more injury to her!
    Heather- Happy your trip and time with your brother went well! Wow! Your life sounds like a whirlwind, right now, with family things, the kids/grandkids in and out, and trying to fit your everyday tasks in there...I am sure the calm is coming. Sometimes the normal routine is so comforting!

Well, the first couple of kids are here. I am potty training one of them so the day has started out well, with one successful deposit made! Yea! One kid potty trained = five less diapers each day/ 25 less diapers each week! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

That is one of my favorite pics of him. That’s what he looked like when we met. When I first met him, I thought he was so out of my league u know? I was at my fattest then, 198lbs and so depressed and thinking of my husband who had died. I always thought he was and still is very good looking. I am truly a blessed woman 😍
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,668 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Rori: Thanks from DH for the birthday wishes. Me, too. :heart:

Michelle: Thanks for the birthday wishes for DH. :smiley:

Barbie: I hope the visit from Jake’s brother goes very well. :star:

Pip: Love the picture of Kirby back when. No wonder you were attracted to him. :wink:

Becca: I am glad you’re pleased with your new home. :smiley:

Today was DH’s birthday. Son and daughter both called. Lovely to hear from them. DH is up in bed. It is way too early but I may join him anyway. I haven’t made up my mind yet.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Yeah, he was and still is a hottie
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbie: I hope you enjoy the visit from Jake’s brother and his wife. I am among those who have dropped facebook, although I drop in once in a long while. I never psot personal information there. :star:

Rebecca: I hope you’re feeling better soon. :flowerforyou:

It is only 6:17 and I’ve taken the dog out for his morning potty trip. Not as good as I hoped, but better than it has been recently. His pleas to get up at the crack of dawn are exhausting me. I seriously need more sleep.

My iphone won’t turn on this morning. Has anyone else had that problem? If so, how did you deal with it?

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Barbie OMG I LOVE that photo of the two of you! Your smile is so beautiful. Thank you for posting that. Your husband looks so much like a boy named Tom who I went to high school with. He was a shy athletic brainiac and had all the girls swooning. He only had eyes for one girl, though, and he married her. They had a passel of kids and now a passel of grandkids. <3

Karen in Virginia
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Barbie ~ Love the pic of you and Jake as youngun's! Your dark curly hair is so cute. :)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,324 Member
    Options
    Wow BARBIE! You were seriously great looking, what a smile! Plus I have sunglasses envy! :D Jake isn't bad either. :p

Just been for my VERY FIRST 8k run. All way down to the i360 and back. :drinker: I didn't time myself, just took it easy. DH walked alongside me. <3

The cleaner is coming later this afternoon. I've told her to try to be a bit earlier next time. Never mind. When she is here she does a fantastic job with her helper. I would just like a set time.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Pip ~ Thanks so much for sharing your story! You were truly blessed to find Kirby as he was to find you.

Carol in GA
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    ✔️ 1. weighed in 59;(weight back up!)
    ✔️ 2. tracked so far
    ✔️3. 30 min exercise
    ✔️ 4. five minutes meditation
    x 5.Spend at least 2h on long term writing project yesterday
    x 6.produce at least 10-finished pages per day average long term yesterday(from May 13 to May19 )
    ✔️ 7. Take care of at least one shorter (1 pagish) writing or administrative task/bill, (union work doesn't count)
    ✔️8. At least 15 min cleaning
    ✔️ 9. At least 15 min filing/paperwork
    ✔️10.average 1100 calories net

• Overall Feeling : very stressed
    • Tracking : so far, so good
    • Exercise : 15 min elliptical+ 18 min steps, + 15 min cleaning
    • 1100 calories net average : so far so good
    • Long term writing 2h: no
    • produce at least 10-finished pages per day average long term project yesterday(from May 13 to May19 ) yesterday : no
    • Short term writing/admin : yes, important mail sent out
    • Bright Spots : above checked off things, classes are over

Grateful :
    1. nice students made me laugh so much yesterday during our last class
    2. things checked off above
    3. gym
    4. café
    5. insurance

once again I feel super-stressed about something.not that bearable. boo. it makes it really hard to work on long time project. I'm afraid I'll mess it up. I checked off all the rest. sigh.