May 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart I wear Darn Tough socks. The summer version are quarter length, and billed as "running" socks. They're thinner than the micro-crew length billed as "Hike/Trek" that I wear in the winter, but they aren't compression. Wick the sweat away, prevent blisters, they're good. If you need compression, they don't do that.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    @Elise4270 Glad your husband likes his shoes...which ones did he go for? I currently run with the Epic React Flyknit 2, but I may try the Epic Phantom React Flyknit next time, as there'll never be a problem with the laces coming undone, lol.

@kgirlhart I've been wearing Balega's Enduro V-Tech low cut socks for a long time...in this part of the world, I use them pretty much as a year-round sock.

Total: 261.38 / 200 miles

He’s in the Nike Zoom Fly FK. He’s spent so much on various shoes lately, he wasn’t sure he wanted to part with much more not knowing if they’d work for him. Dh likes the balega socks too. The ones he has, are thicker than the Steigen, I think in the toes and heel- or that may be an entirely different sock I’m thinking of. I’ve yet to try them. @kgirlhart definitely worth considering. I haven’t heard of anyone that didn’t like them.

Your cat still a pain? Waking you up early in the a.m.? Two of mine have gone bonkers. One licked me awake at 530 this morning and wouldn’t stop. She had food, door was open-she could go out. And she’s been annoying all day. Another cat is just stupid and it’s like 10x worse now. I think he has kitty cat mad cat disease. I’m going to have to shut them outside soon if this goes on much longer.

ETA @shanaber interesting read!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    So out for my run, it is raining again, but no hail. All is seeming fine when I come across this:

78s31ml823fd.jpg

I stop pull up the local power company's web page to find a number to call, and it says to call 911 (emergency services) - That seems odd. The wires are clearly intact somehow, but I do as they say and call up. They said they would send a cop out to check on it. Again, odd. What is the police going to do? Not like they can fix it. They will just end up calling back to the dispatcher and someone will eventually call the power company to fix it. Seems like a lot of time and money could be saved if I could have just called the power company directly.

Ah well.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    So out for my run, it is raining again, but no hail. All is seeming fine when I come across this:

78s31ml823fd.jpg

I stop pull up the local power company's web page to find a number to call, and it says to call 911 (emergency services) - That seems odd. The wires are clearly intact somehow, but I do as they say and call up. They said they would send a cop out to check on it. Again, odd. What is the police going to do? Not like they can fix it. They will just end up calling back to the dispatcher and someone will eventually call the power company to fix it. Seems like a lot of time and money could be saved if I could have just called the power company directly.

Ah well.

The local authorities will block off a dangerous area in case anything is live or goes live. Happens here often.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

78s31ml823fd.jpg

Ah well.

The local authorities will block off a dangerous area in case anything is live or goes live. Happens here often.

Yes, someone who doesn't know any better might go touching stuff. It is shocking (pun intended) that some people are more curious than careful.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options

78s31ml823fd.jpg

Ah well.

Yes, someone who doesn't know any better might go touching stuff. It is shocking (pun intended) that some people are more curious than careful.

I remember when a power pole came down in my shared driveway. I am safely in my house refusing to move until the power company or fire department show up, in contrast, my neighbour is picking her way over the live wires to come and chat. Mad.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @girlinahat Beautiful ! The hike sounds amazing! I don’t think we have anything so beautiful in the US. Glad to see you back.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat that hike looks so amazing. Where is it?
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options

78s31ml823fd.jpg

Ah well.

So, funny story. My dad worked for many many years for Verizon (phone company). When he first started he was a cable splicer so knows all about the wires, and cables, and telephone poles, and all that jazz. Anyway, a number of years ago on one of our annual family vacations we were in the Canadian Rockies. We were walking somewhere where we ended up along a road and there was a cable down from some power lines. There was a very serious Canadian Mountie there, doing a very serious job of making sure no one came near the very serious issue of this cable being down on the ground. As we go past my dad turns to us and goes, that's a cable for cable TV, not a single thing dangerous about that! :D BUT! Better safe than sorry, I always say!
  • Elise4270
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Double post
  • Elise4270
    edited May 2019
    Options

78s31ml823fd.jpg

Ah well.

So, funny story. My dad worked for many many years for Verizon (phone company). When he first started he was a cable splicer so knows all about the wires, and cables, and telephone poles, and all that jazz. Anyway, a number of years ago on one of our annual family vacations we were in the Canadian Rockies. We were walking somewhere where we ended up along a road and there was a cable down from some power lines. There was a very serious Canadian Mountie there, doing a very serious job of making sure no one came near the very serious issue of this cable being down on the ground. As we go past my dad turns to us and goes, that's a cable for cable TV, not a single thing dangerous about that! :D BUT! Better safe than sorry, I always say!

Haha! Now that's good to hear! I'll confess to driving over downed cable lines. I figured the real danger is the live power wire arcing and bouncing around. So, I always expect a live one to be easily identified, probably not the safest mindset.

ETA @rheddmobile I went outside last night and listened to the frogs. There are 2 ponds close. The closest one, next door, was silent while the one a few houses to the east was strangely loud. If I weren't so gimpy, I'd have dragged dh with me to listen.