June 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    @hist_doc I abandoned my Apple Watch and switched to a Garmin Forerunner 935. I had nothing but various issues and limitations with it. It was not as accurate, it lost runs, and so on. That was Apple Watch 2 though, not sure how the modern ones stack up. I am very happy with my Garmin. There is nothing that I used on the Apple Watch that the Garmin cannot do, and most of it better. Based on the advertising alone with the current Apple Watch, I definitely have no desire to go back yet.
  • PastorVincent
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Spent the weekend in Snowdonia National Park, North Wales on a 'scrambling' weekend. To be honest I didn't really know what 'scrambling' was, but apparently it's climbing over boulders and taking a not so obvious route to the top of a mountain.

My legs are tired now (and I have a mahoosive bruise on my buttock from slipping and landing hard on my left cheek). There are no photos of it.

Here's some photos of the weekend - it typically rained the whole of Saturday but yesterday was nice. Back to normal now and will resume running shortly after all this punishing my body by hiking hills and then some!!
    bwtjbe8bphqy.jpg
    qadumsfx0i7e.jpg
    ykhpstbopdp6.jpg
    uaumm7j4xeyw.jpg
    icegtipcbaj1.jpg
    8c4vhsydyznl.jpg
    edw9273lq0vs.jpg
    s6aywsqpzydr.jpg

That looks like an awesome place to hike! But yeah, I would imagine you would need a rest day after that! :D
  • PastorVincent
    karllundy wrote: »
    Hi y'all! I haven't been in a monthly challenge / thread for sooo long! Not sure I should jump back in as I tend to spend too much time reading up on everyone's awesomeness. In for 110 this month. Currently at 28.9.

Contemplating trying for my first full in October, but not sure about the time commitment for training.

Welcome back! Yeah, the time commitment is pretty much the reason I have capped myself at 50k, and I keep that close to the marathon so that I only have to train once. There are only so many hours in a week to play with.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    @girlinahat - I am sure the views are well worth the climb required! It really looks like it would be fun!
    @karlundy - welcome back!
    @NiigataA - I wish someone had told me to slow down and not try to go too far, too fast. Build slowly to avoid over use injuries. Along that same line 'if you can't hold a normal conversation (no huffing and puffing and full sentences) you are going too fast'.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    NiigataA wrote: »
    I think I’ll join you guys! I’m getting back into running after a looooong break.

Goal for June: 50km
    So far: 12 km

Looks like a long way but Ive been getting back into the groove so I’m hoping to start increasing the distance I’m doing.

What are some tips and tricks you wish you’d known as a newbie ish runner?

I just love newbies ! Another monthly question!!!!

Welcome @NiigataA !

What I wished I knew as a new runner?

I wish I understood that:
    1) while running is or may be uncomfortable it should not be painful. Listen to your body. Ask, don't assume.
    2) That running slow means slow down even if you think you are already slow.
    3) ... Oh running will not entitle you to eat with reckless abandonment.
    4) regular running will make you stronger and healthier, it will not (necessarily) make you like an elite athlete.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    @girlinahat that looks so cool! I would love to go scrambling there.

@karllundy welcome back! Which full are you thinking about? I know you put in a lot of miles so I'm sure you can do it, but I get it. I'm not up for the training commitment again this summer, I've got too many other things I want to do and last summer was so much preparing for my first (and probably only) full. But I'm really glad I did it. This year I'm splitting the marathon in two and doing back-to-back halves - I'm doing the Kansas City and Des Moines half marathons in October as part of the KC and DSM I-35 challenge. It seems much more reasonable when I compare it to the fact that two of my (crazy) friends are doing the fulls back-to-back.

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    06/01/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 0.0
    06/02/19 :::: 13.2 :::: 13.2
    06/03/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 13.2
    06/04/19 :::: 1.3 :::: 14.5
    06/05/19 :::: 5.0 :::: 19.5
    06/06/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 19.5
    06/07/19 :::: 3.6 :::: 23.2
    06/08/19 :::: 5.7 :::: 28.9
    06/09/19 :::: 4.9 :::: 33.7
    06/10/19 :::: 3.2 :::: 36.9
    06/11/19 :::: 2.0 :::: 38.9

A bad night of sleep last night resulted in hitting the snooze a time or two, but at least I got a 2-mile warm-up done today. Strength training was pretty much all pulling exercises today including attempts at a full unassisted pull-up. Alllllllllmoooooost there.
  • PastorVincent
    I think I’ll join you guys! I’m getting back into running after a looooong break.

Looks like a long way but Ive been getting back into the groove so I’m hoping to start increasing the distance I’m doing.

I was VERY grateful that at my first 10-mile race a fellow guy told me about lubrication on my nipples. I saw many first-time male runners that day with bloody shirts but I was able to avoid it.

Since then I have found other places chaff and learned the use of BodyGlide to prevent chafing.
  • runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Well, I am late to the game this month.

The last two months, I've been able to get 110 miles, so I'd like to set my first goal to 110 miles and my stretch goal at 120 miles. Marathon training is in full swing; I gotta get on the ball.

June 1 - 6 miles
    June 2 - 10 miles
    June 4 - 3 miles

19 miles for June

Miles until Goal #1 - 91miles
    Miles until Goal #2 - 101 miles

June 5 - 3 miles of speed work

22 miles for June

Miles until Goal #1 - 88 miles
    Miles until Goal #2 - 98 miles

June 6 - 7 miles after work to help clear my head

29 miles for June

Miles until Goal #1 - 81 miles
    Miles until Goal #2 - 91 miles

June 8 - 3.1 miles (5K with hubby, he got a new PR)
    June 9 - 14 miles

46.1 miles for June

Miles until Goal #1 - 63.9 miles
    Miles until Goal #2 - 73.9 miles

June 11 - 4 miles
    June 12 - 6.2 miles

56.3 miles for June

Miles until Goal #1 - 53.7 miles
    Miles until Goal #2 - 63.7 miles
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member

Welcome! I'm still a newbie-ish runner, but I would say that my best advice (that hasn't already been given by someone else) is to check out strength training as a supplemental activity if you are looking for something to do in your off days. I'm a fan of taking it one step at a time, so maybe right now focusing on running is the way to go. But in the future, if you're not doing any strength training, I cannot recommend it enough both to support your running and your health generally.