June 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    8 mile this morning. Weather was pretty amazing for middle of June (63F, ONLY 83% humidity). Slow start, then picked it up a little. In fact, on my route there is a permanent "Your Speed" electronic sign. When no cars are around, I sometimes like to see if I can get it to register me running towards it. This morning I decided to tried it when I got close I started increasing my speed. It started picking me up at around 10mph, it increased to 12/13, then started getting faster, 15,18,20,23.... I thought damn!, I am flying. Then a second later I see headlights behind me and a car was approaching :# . Duh. Well Garmin shows I hit 12.4mph, so that's ok.

exercise.png

I'm always really tempted to do that too, but there are always cars/people about I wouldn't want to see me doing it!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    8 mile this morning. Weather was pretty amazing for middle of June (63F, ONLY 83% humidity). Slow start, then picked it up a little. In fact, on my route there is a permanent "Your Speed" electronic sign. When no cars are around, I sometimes like to see if I can get it to register me running towards it. This morning I decided to tried it when I got close I started increasing my speed. It started picking me up at around 10mph, it increased to 12/13, then started getting faster, 15,18,20,23.... I thought damn!, I am flying. Then a second later I see headlights behind me and a car was approaching :# . Duh. Well Garmin shows I hit 12.4mph, so that's ok.

exercise.png

I'm always really tempted to do that too, but there are always cars/people about I wouldn't want to see me doing it!

I am GUESSING you, being much smaller and less reflective, than a car, probably can not even trip it if you were doing 20mph. But that is a guess. Does anyone actually know?
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    6-1 7.5k slow
    6-2 11k easy
    6-3 rest
    6-4 7k moderate
    6-5 7k easy
    6-6 rest
    6-7 7k slow
    6-8 9k slow
    6-9 7k easy
    6-10 rest
    6-11 7k intervals
    6-12 7k moderate

June Total: 69.5k
    June Goal: 150k

January Total: 131k
    February Total: 159.5k
    March Total: 183k
    April Total: 126k
    May Total: 128k

Monthly average: 145.5k

Next year when you pop in here claiming your December 2019 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?
    Run at least 4 5k races.
    Get under 30:00 and a PR for 5k.
    Average at least 135k per month, which would put me over 1,000 miles for the year.

Run the Year Team: Five for Nineteen

Sunny, light breeze, and 60 degrees F this morning. Just went out and had fun.

2019 Races:

4-13 Shine the Light 5K - 31:12 chip time; First Place male 65 and older
    6-30 Strides for Starfish 5K
    7-27 Solon Home Days 5K
  • hist_doc
    hist_doc Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    NiigataA wrote: »
    What are some tips and tricks you wish you’d known as a newbie ish runner?

Another one... TRAIN IN BAD WEATHER. Train in good weather. Train in medicore weather. Pretty much train in all weather, save the real extremes. But Rain, snow, cold, hot, etc... train in it. Other wise two things will happen:

1) A bad streak of weather will knock you out of the habit of running, and for many people that puts them in a slump for a long time.

2) If you race, you can not pick the weather on race day. So you need to be ready to run in whatever. Rarely do they cancel a race.

ˆthis
    I'll never forget my first 15 miler in a total downpour. It made me a stronger runner (and better athlete). I ended up doing most of the training for my first full by myself. While I ended up running that race injured, I finished without stopping (aside from bathroom breaks)--I credit the training in conditions described above because it gave me the mental strength to keep going.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    hist_doc wrote: »
    @shanaber, @MegaMooseEsq, @PastorVincent thanks for the feedback. I can't decide if I completely regret my choice in switching (I had a Fenix 5S). To be honest, the Garmin app was pretty awful and I always experienced issues with it. I like the Apple 4 a lot but the app also stinks--editing workouts is a pretty fundamental tool if you ask me. I can't believe they haven't addressed this issue after four iterations of the watch. Oh well. I called support and they asked me to calibrate my watch--I can't recall if I did that when I purchased it.

Oh, I do not use the Garmin app. I just have it pipe all things to RunKeeper and Strava and Apple Health and MFP. I use the functions of the watch during the run, but anything post-run, I use apps geared for whatever I am looking for. I did the same when I had the Apple Watch.

IMO: The watch is the tool for REAL-TIME feedback, tracking and control - not post-activity analysis.
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    @hist_doc Yes! That was me. I've been hemming and hawing about doing a full for a while. I do A LOT of training on the mill. My kids are 6 and 3, so I run while they sleep. I also have parents in the area who come hang w/ my kids while I run cause they are amazing people. I'm thinking I'll do a tune-in half marathon in August/September. Thank you for the advice. I'll be doing two a days I am sure.

Also, I love my Garmin. The app is fine, but I don't do too much with it.

@NiigataA Welcome to the club! It's an addiction. You've had great advice. My last piece: stay hydrated, buy two pair of shoes, invest in good compression wear if you run long distance :)

Tonight is my first club run. 6 miles with them, speed word and hills. I don't have a clue how to fuel for an evening run. I usually run fasted (anything below 5 miles) since I run early early early. Suggestions?

I lifted and TRX'd this morning, so I know I have to replenish well before tonight.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    jenkofb wrote: »
    Hi all! I am pretty new to running. I have actually never really enjoyed it, lol, but I started doing C25K in the beginning of May and somewhere along the line I have gotten hooked. I am still doing run/walk but slowly progressing. We have some decent hills in my neighborhood and I run up the hills and walk down them. This gives my knee a little break as the downhills can be difficult on it. Currently, my goal is to run more than walk as I progress and it's been slow progress, but I'm still on track and headed in the right direction.

Here is what I did this morning:
    29jebbxqfrtf.png

Welcome! Sounds like you have the right idea on how to start. Just remember the only real key thing is "left right left right until done" :)
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    6/1 - 8.0 miles
    6/2 – 2.0 miles + lower body PIYO
    6/3 – 5.0 miles + yoga
    6/4 – 1.2 miles TM + upper body PIYO
    6/5 – 5.0 miles + yoga
    6/6 – 1.1 miles TM + PIYO Sweat (20 minutes)
    6/7 – 5.0 miles
    6/8 – 11.25 miles
    6/9 – 1 mile
    6/10 – 4.65 miles
    6/11 – 1.20 miles
    6/12 - 4.64 miles + yoga

@NiigataA @beksinLondon @martacamsan @jenkofb – Welcome!
    @Avidkeo – Sorry you are sick on top of everything else you have going on. I hope you recover quickly.
    @Scott6255 – So funny about the speed gauge!

What I wish I knew as a new runner? I have to agree with @Elise4270 – you can’t eat whatever you want just because you ran! People will tell you that you can – ignore them!

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

What I wish I knew as a new runner? I have to agree with @Elise4270 – you can’t eat whatever you want just because you ran! People will tell you that you can – ignore them!

@Teresa502 ya, and the same people say "oh you are so skinny, you can afford to eat all the cake/pie/pizza". Lie. Just don't believe it no matter how good it sounds!

Sitting at Baylor waiting my "10 minutes before you can go post steroid shot, so we know you're okay". No Dr dreamy today. But the doc I had was chatty and kept my mind off of the anxiety, I did good thanks to him. Not a cry baby today. Hip is wonderful. If only the leg was stronger and healed, I'd run 10 miles today.

I almost rescheduled today with a migraine. But work wants doc notes, so figured I'd come down and get them.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,979 Member
    Options
    June goal: 90 miles

6/2: 8.51 miles
    6/4: 5.52 miles
    6/5: 5.26 miles
    6/6: 5.51 miles
    6/9: 10.05 miles
    6/11: 6.25 miles
    6/12: 6.10 miles

47.2/90 miles completed

It was another 63F morning for my run. The humidity was higher than yesterday and the dew point was higher, so it wasn't quite as comfortable as yesterday, but it was still nice, especially for June. I ran 6.1 miles. I got some light rain this morning too starting about halfway through the run. It did help to keep me cool. It was really an uneventful run, but I enjoyed it a lot. Tomorrow morning is supposed to be another nice morning (maybe nicer than yesterday). I'll enjoy it while I can. Next week it looks like we'll be back to lows in the mid 70's.

exercise.png

2019 races:
    2/2/19: Catch the Groundhog Half Marathon - PR 2:15:17
    5/18/19: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon - Cancelled due to weather
  • PastorVincent
    Options

exercise.png

I am GUESSING you, being much smaller and less reflective, than a car, probably can not even trip it if you were doing 20mph. But that is a guess. Does anyone actually know?

Oh yeah, for sure. When I am running @ 4:30am, normally no cars on the road. It has clocked me many times. My 'PR' for this sign is 13mph right now :p Hoping to crack that mark soon. Wish it showed in finer increments than 1mph!

DANG IT. Now I have to watch for a sign like that. #grrr
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    6/12 - 5.0 miles, cool and humid. Slower than usual pace.
    Currently at 33.9 / 110 miles for June.

@katharmonic - Either IMT Des Moines or KC for full. Still on the fence - never done one and not sure I can get the long runs in with my kids' crazy school / activity schedules, especially longer mid-week runs. Maybe all train for the I-35 challenge too! 13.1 + 13.1 = 26.2 in ~24 hours :wink: