June 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Watch battery problems again and phone app is cutting out at the top of the hill for several metres.

There is a limit to the number of times you can reasonably hint that you could use a watch for a fathers day present.

I got a watch for Mother's Day last year. I had to say point blank to my husband, "The girls want to buy me a Garmin for Mother's Day, I think that's a fabulous idea, can we go and choose one on Saturday?".

Honestly, speaking for men out there everywhere, I wish more people were this clear. AND I wish more people listened to people that are this clear.

I have an Amazon wishlist with items on it from a few $ to well over a hundred dollars. What to get me something I actually want or need and will be happy to get? Pick one, or even an Amazon gift card and I will pick one. Literally last Christmas I told someone "do not by me a hat, I just got a very nice wool one" = and they bought me a hat for Christmas. It is still sealed in its package someplace in a box. Would have been better they got me nothing.

Sorry... I am starting to rant, I think I will put myself to bed now.

I grew up with a lot of boys. I learned early on that boys/men don't do subtlety or hints. Life is so much easier and happier for everyone if you are straight up and clear with them. So many women don't get this, it's mind boggling.
    I sent my husband an email with a picture and link to the heated roller I want specifically saying I want this for Mother's Day... nope! Next time I will buy it myself!

Yeah, I don't think this is exclusively a gendered thing - I've had boyfriends who didn't listen to me when I said I didn't want something for a gift, or that I wanted a specific thing ("Of course you must want flowers/a spa day/jewelry you'll never wear!"). I think people just need to be better about listening to each other generally.
    I desperately want a Garmin too... I hinted like crazy before Mother's Day, and got really excited when a box arrived. It was a mug. When I 'joked' about thinking it was a Garmin my husband told me not to be so *kitten* dumb, like he's spend that much money on a present for me. Well, that certainly told me!

What a hurtful thing to say! *hugs*
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    @eleanorhawkins well, I hope you bought it for yourself 🖤
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I desperately want a Garmin too... I hinted like crazy before Mother's Day, and got really excited when a box arrived. It was a mug. When I 'joked' about thinking it was a Garmin my husband told me not to be so *kitten* dumb, like he's spend that much money on a present for me. Well, that certainly told me!

Well thats just crap. Makes me wanna buy you one. Which one ya want? And is it US shipping? Pm me a link. And address.

I am currently very lucky to have the financial set up we have right now. Things will change and I won't necessarily always have the financial freedoms, but I sure enjoy having my own secret account for crap I just want or I just gotta have, tires, 500$ car
    battery, maybe a new bra, college classes... oh maybe some shoes...

Look. Some of them are "cheap"
  • Elise4270
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    Re directly spelling out what you want as a gift: a co-worker at a previous company once said that he told his wife he wanted a box for Christmas. So she bought him a flag pole. Just think about that for a second...I honestly don't know who was trolling who in that household.
    Pole, box... Haha! Ohhh man.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Not sure if I will get to run later or not, but it has been many days since I last updated, so I figured I better get back on the stick.

Date...........Run.......Walk
    06/01........12M.......0.0M
    06/02........12M.......0.0M
    06/03........00M.......3.5M
    06/04........00M.......0.0M
    06/05........11M.......0.0M
    06/06........11M.......3.5M
    06/07........00M.......3.5M
    06/08........13M.......0.0M
    06/09........00M.......0.0M
    06/10........08M.......0.0M
    06/11........08M.......0.0M
    06/12........11M.......3.5M
    06/13........00M.......3.7M

---MTD: 17.5 miles walking, 86 miles running, and 0KM resting

Upcoming Races
    Hell Have No Hurry 50k Trail Race - June 29th
    Fleet Feet Liberty Mile - August 9th
    Howl at the Moon - Nighttime 5k - August 10
    EQT Pittsburgh 10 Miler - November 2nd

(a few more races yet to register for)

202? - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)

2019 GOAL: Knock a full hour off my 50k time at Hell Have No Hurry
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent did I see a clip of u on Ellen de Générés 😁
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Mari33a wrote: »
    @PastorVincent did I see a clip of u on Ellen de Générés 😁

I feel like this is something that flew over my head, but as far as I know, I have never been on that show. :)
  • hist_doc
    hist_doc Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    @eleanorhawkins well, I hope you bought it for yourself 🖤

^
    hugs. buy it for yourself :smile:
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @shanaber It's all about training. And owner attitude. Some dogs, like children, are more sociable/outgoing/boisterous or whatever than others. Not an excuse. Trouble is some people don't care, or are just plain clueless. This guy was walking a dog that is of a size that requires a muzzle to be loose in public here without even a collar on. Also, this was on a trail with massive signs at each banning dogs from being allowed to run loose on it as it's a nesting area. So no respect for the rest of the human race or nature either.

This is so true. I always tell people, there are no bad dogs only bad owners.
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    @hist_doc 80%of the people in my family have gastroparesis. It is not fun. I have escaped it so far...

@eleanorhawkins bon jovi... in Madrid? Like spain?????? My jealousy is even jealous. Have so much fun. (P.s...marriage is hard. Money stuff makes it even harder; I get it.)

Just finished 6.2 miles on the TM at a 1% incline with some lovely strides and speed work thrown in and my Garmin was not matching my pace at all. Inthink it is time to invest in a foot pod. Does anyone have one? Ya like it?
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    @hist_doc 80%of the people in my family have gastroparesis. It is not fun. I have escaped it so far...

@eleanorhawkins bon jovi... in Madrid? Like spain?????? My jealousy is even jealous. Have so much fun. (P.s...marriage is hard. Money stuff makes it even harder; I get it.)

Just finished 6.2 miles on the TM at a 1% incline with some lovely strides and speed work thrown in and my Garmin was not matching my pace at all. Inthink it is time to invest in a foot pod. Does anyone have one? Ya like it?

@RunnerGirl238 I live on the southern coast of Spain :-) Last time they came here was 9 or 10 years ago... I had a small child and even less money than now. So yeah, 25 years I've been waiting for this.
    Did I mention it's only 3 weeks and 2 days away at all? Apologies in advance for the amount of excitement and counting down of days y'all are going to have to endure from me ;-)
  • Elise4270
    edited June 2019
    Options

About the Garmin. Firstly, @Elise4270 you have a heart that is bigger than you but no way could I accept that! I currently have a fitbit (he doesn't know how much that cost either! gotta love marriage sometimes) that is about a year old. When it dies, I will replace it with a Garmin. To this end, I am saving up every bit of loose change he leaves in his pockets, change from groceries, etc etc. I could have afforded to get myself one with a little bit of money my great-aunt left me when she died. But I spent it on tickets to the Bon Jovi concert in Madrid next month. And a hotel room there, and train tickets to get there. I've been waiting 25 years to see Bon Jovi in concert. And it's almost here! 3 weeks and 2 days to go!!!! Not that I'm counting!!!! Can you tell I'm excited, much? lol

No run for me today. Friday is my rest day. Plus I have to get to the city to pick up my T-shirt and number for tomorrow night's race. Feeling a little more confident I can finish under the cutoff time now, not sure my legs will approve of me doing so though. Oh well.

Bon Jovi Sounds like an awesome splurge and celebration of your great aunts life! I bought a not terribly expensive violin when my dad died. Funny how music speaks to the soul. I thought you might be in Europe. I never realized Spain was so beautiful until last week, watching a show where retirees had their illegally built homes knocked down in Spain, guess the government there is against foreign retirees. I’d move there, if I could keep a home. Absolutely stunning. I should buy you a Garmin and come to Spain. Hahaha!