June Total: 106.5k
    June Goal: 150k

January Total: 131k
    February Total: 159.5k
    March Total: 183k
    April Total: 126k
    May Total: 128k

Monthly average: 145.5k

Next year when you pop in here claiming your December 2019 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?
    Run at least 4 5k races.
    Get under 30:00 and a PR for 5k.
    Average at least 135k per month, which would put me over 1,000 miles for the year.

Run the Year Team: Five for Nineteen

Scheduled rest day today. Golfed and fished instead.

2019 Races:

4-13 Shine the Light 5K - 31:12 chip time; First Place male 65 and older
    6-30 Strides for Starfish 5K
    7-27 Solon Home Days 5K
  • zeesparrow
    zeesparrow Posts: 348 Member
    edited June 2019
    @zeesparrow Hal says on his website 'there's nothing magical about his choice to stick the 5 and 10km races in the plan but they bring some valuable race experience' or something to that effect. He says you don't have to run them and also that they can be at other times. If I remember correctly, I found myself a couple of 'virtual races' to run on my own on those days and just ran a little hard than I would usually during training. But.... you do you ;-)
    Yeah, if you were to follow the spirit of the plan, run a 5k at race pace. Personally, I just run that day as any other training run, and I suspect most people do.

A virtual race! Yes! That is a great idea! That's what I did when I finished the C25K plan last fall/winter. I just went back to the same site and signed up for another.

Thank you so much for the suggestion.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Ran 4 miles, noticed halfway through post run walk that we were going to make it back too late to eat at our preferred restaurant and ran another half mile. Not a bad run but so, so, hot. Bright sunlight, and where we were running at Shelby Farms there are long stretches without shade. Dewpoint 75 again, temp somewhere in the 90s. Even the bicyclists were dripping with sweat. You know those days when a cycle passes you, and you’re like, “Can I just kinda hop on behind you like kids used to ride double in 5th grade and you carry me back to someplace with air conditioning?” We were passed by a guy who said, “The faster I run the sooner I can stop!”

We saw another bunny. That makes three runs in a row of seeing bunnies. I think this one was a hare, he had very long ears and different fur.

Running another half mile in the heat was worth it when we got to our sandwich shop and the waitress said, “Oh, I think we’re out of shawarma,” and the owner said, “For you we have shawarma, I put it back especially for you!” Much shawarma, iced ginger sage tea, and baklava, in the blessed air conditioning.

@Avidkeo and @midwesterner85 hope the moves go smoothly and the kitties settle in well!
  • NiigataA
    NiigataA Posts: 61 Member
    So . . . the virtual race will do something for you. It will be a speed workout with a physiological benefit. But you will be missing any of the psychological learning that might have happened in a real race environment. If the virtual race is the best you can do, do it. But if you can run a real organized race about when the training plan calls for it, run the organized race.

So true! My first (and only) 10k several years back I played leap frog with another runner which upped my pace majorly.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    MOVED! I left yesterday with our girls. Drove about half way, stayed the night in a motel, then came the rest of the way this morning. Currently relaxing on my in laws couch. Hubby wont be coming until tomorrow. I hope he makes it in one day cause I want to do park run on Saturday! If not I'll wait a week. Running hasn't happened in over a week, with being sick and moving. Sigh.

@Avidkeo Excellent!

I am moving right now too. Got everything loaded up last night in the truck with help from people I work with (at old location) and their kids. Old house is cleaned up and the cat is waiting in the last room.l to be emptied. I noticed I forgot to pull out some clean undergarments and socks to wear today and tomorrow. Oh well... I will treat it like when I am backpacking and don't change clothes every day.

There was a snag picking up the truck yesterday afternoon. One of the lights on the tow dolly (to pull my car) doesn't work. I ended up taking the truck to get it loaded and leaving my car/dolly there. I will grab that this morning on the way out of town.

Right now, I just need to get the cat in the truck. He has been given a pill to help calm him. Realtor is scheduled to come in just over 1.5 hrs. so and we can do paperwork to list it and then I leave for good. Between now and then, I will get the cat loaded and try to catch up on social media.

Plan is to drive all day / stop frequently for kitty and I to eat, use bathroom, etc. I will arrive and unload tomorrow. I should have plenty of time to stop and sleep for an hour or 2 here and there along the way.

Hope it goes well! We decided to fly our kitty. So he was in a kitty motel for a few days, and today they put him on a plane this morning. I go and collect him in a few hours. Decided it was way easier than trying to drive with him over two days.

How much does moving suck!

Just picked up my uniform, and I'm a small pant, and size 10 (us size 8) in the top! Woop woop

Aw, my kitty is not used to other people and having others care for him would be very stressful for everyone. This way is the same level of stressful for him, less stress for me, and nobody elwe gets hurt. I do worry about him, though, because he has been scared and won't use the litter box or drink water. I offer every time I stop, which is often. So now I am leaving a water bowl in his carrier while I take a nap at a rest stop. Hopefully he drinks now.

Cats don't travel well. You might find some CBD oil. We started using it with some success with an ADD-like cat and another that isn't keen on the kitten. Petco like places will prob have some calming chews , (that none of my cats will eat), and some spray you can put on your hand and wipe on him. We use one from Jackson Galaxy (online), and it works well.

Last resort, if his anxiety is high, you could stop in a vet and explain, they might be able to help.

When we moved, thankfully just 30 minutes away, the best thing was a familiar set up, familiar smells. One cat needed time on the bed with us, playing "pink 'nake". It just a pink pajama tie she's played with her whole life.iy was magic, you could see she just forgot everything was new for a moment.

Don't forget the power of road treats. My dog would get chicken nuggets. I had a cat that sat in the car waiting and would go with you to Sonic for chicken. Worst chicken eating cat ever. You couldn't say "chicken" in front of him. Some treats may help him forget his anxiety. And if they are a bit salty, he may want that water.

Your cat will be okay without water for a bit. We moved from Delaware to Georgia and back then to Oklahoma with 2 cats. They recover with a little TLC, oh cats... LOTS OF TLC on their terms.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Heh. Just came in from my lunch walk and I saw this fellow running and every now and again he checked his bare wrist. I am thinking he forgot his GPS watch. :smiley: I wanted to call out "If it is not tracked it never happened!" but that might cause a social interaction, so I kept walking instead.

hahaha