Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The most polarizing food: where do you stand?

Replies

• SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Bacon with sweets thing doesn't seem a huge step, since big weekend breakfasts when I was a kid (one of the things my dad cooked) were always bacon, eggs, and then pancakes or waffles. Or maybe bacon with french toast. Maple syrup on the pancakes or waffles or french toast would also get on the bacon.

Sausage would work too in the breakfast context, but we mostly would have bacon.

So you had bacon, eggs and pancakes with syrup all on the same plate?

Never had maple syrup on mine.. always butter, sugar and lemon juice.

Your pancakes sound like British pancakes - more like crepes, very thin and usually rolled up? That's how my mum made them, and we always had sugar and lemon juice on them.

North American pancakes are much thicker, and fabulous with syrup. (Like drop scones or Scotch pancakes, if you've ever had those - not sure if they're purely British.) And yes, bacon, sausage, egg, AND the pancakes and syrup on the same plate! :) Bonus points for also puring syrup over the bacon and sausages...
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    Maple bacon donuts. Just sayin'... :)

Did someone call me?!?

Oh, man, I love a maple bacon long john.

I was thinking of you when I posted that - you must have tuned in! :)
  • SueSueDio
    Five0Six wrote: »
    Oh, and peanut butter and bacon sandwiches. :) Or PB and bacon on a burger...

I used to go to a hot dog hut that had a beef hot dog with bacon and peanut butter. The idea grossed me out so much....until one day, I must have been low on protein or something and suddenly my mouth watered at the idea. Bought it and practically had a foodgasm with that first bite.

If you're feeling adventurous, try a peanut butter sandwich with some chopped raw onion in it. I thought my husband was insane when he first tried to get me to eat that, and I resisted for ages. But it works surprisingly well!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    geiznekcm wrote: »
    Cinnamon on watermelon, anyone?

Cayenne pepper or hot sauce on everything (BUT watermelon)?

Jamaican-style (nutmeg-y) hot sauce on grapefruit, for sure.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Bacon with sweets thing doesn't seem a huge step, since big weekend breakfasts when I was a kid (one of the things my dad cooked) were always bacon, eggs, and then pancakes or waffles. Or maybe bacon with french toast. Maple syrup on the pancakes or waffles or french toast would also get on the bacon.

Sausage would work too in the breakfast context, but we mostly would have bacon.

Your pancakes sound like British pancakes - more like crepes, very thin and usually rolled up? That's how my mum made them, and we always had sugar and lemon juice on them.

North American pancakes are much thicker, and fabulous with syrup. (Like drop scones or Scotch pancakes, if you've ever had those - not sure if they're purely British.) And yes, bacon, sausage, egg, AND the pancakes and syrup on the same plate! :) Bonus points for also puring syrup over the bacon and sausages...

No.. these aren't thin, they are like an American pancake not crepe. It's possible it's just a my family thing 😁

I still can't imagine sweet syrup on savoury food like sausages or bacon. I think maybe I should try the syrup on pancakes though.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member

No.. these aren't thin, they are like an American pancake not crepe. It's possible it's just a my family thing 😁

I still can't imagine sweet syrup on savoury food like sausages or bacon. I think maybe I should try the syrup on pancakes though.

They sound like Scotch pancakes, only bigger :)
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    MrUgly wrote: »
    i7a3jdn3zz84.jpg

From Father's Day with my son. He took me to Friendly's and I had Butter Pecan ice cream with crispy bacon topping. I think I'm still sweating it off, but Mother of Pearl it was good.

Ice cream and bacon.. I can't even imagine

I can imagine it! Bleaughhhhhh!

Lol.. the idea is so foreign to me, it would be like dropping ice cream in a beer or pairing sardines with stewed peaches..

If you can make a root beer float, I don't see why you couldn't make a regular beer float!

And bacon on vanilla ice cream would be absolutely divine, salty crunchiness in creamy vanilla-ness. :tongue: Nom, nom, nom...

Omg a beer float actually sounds like it would be good. (And I don't drink, lol) I am surprised this isn't a popular thing.
  • maureenseel1984
    maureenseel1984 Posts: 397 Member
    i7a3jdn3zz84.jpg

From Father's Day with my son. He took me to Friendly's and I had Butter Pecan ice cream with crispy bacon topping. I think I'm still sweating it off, but Mother of Pearl it was good.

Lol.. the idea is so foreign to me, it would be like dropping ice cream in a beer or pairing sardines with stewed peaches..

If you can make a root beer float, I don't see why you couldn't make a regular beer float!

And bacon on vanilla ice cream would be absolutely divine, salty crunchiness in creamy vanilla-ness. :tongue: Nom, nom, nom...

Omg a beer float actually sounds like it would be good. (And I don't drink, lol) I am surprised this isn't a popular thing.

Totally could be. I've had beers that were super sweet and would pair nicely with something like a vanilla bean ice cream... (ex: toffee stout, coffee porters, chocolate stout...I had one recently that was a salted caramel coconut something-it's like these beers were designed to be dessert.)
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    i7a3jdn3zz84.jpg

Totally could be. I've had beers that were super sweet and would pair nicely with something like a vanilla bean ice cream... (ex: toffee stout, coffee porters, chocolate stout...I had one recently that was a salted caramel coconut something-it's like these beers were designed to be dessert.)

I got this beer as a gift...didn't care for it too much because it was so sweet. But maybe with ice cream...
    g0qegx8yd8id.png
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Talk about sweet and savoury; try caramelizing your bacon. It’s got it all; smoky, salty, fatty and sweet.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Bacon and sweets seemed to be a huge craze locally for me about 5 years ago. It horrified my husband, who doesn't eat or like bacon, because one particular bakery would have a huge case of treats and everything would smell and taste vaguely of bacon due to some bacon maple scones & bacon-topped donuts they offered.

For me it's not abhorrent but not particularly enticing, either. I'd try it, I guess! I don't mind a plate of pancakes with sausage or bacon that gets a little maple syrup on...
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    i7a3jdn3zz84.jpg

Root beer float for me, vanilla bean ice cream.

On the bacon...good maple syrup is amazing. One of my favorite go to breakfasts was eggs over easy, bacon, pancakes and toast with a good jam. Liberal amounts of syrup on everything but the toast. That was for mopping up what was left. :)

I really want that now lol.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    For many years, an ice cream parlour I loved served its own made-on-premises Guinness ice cream. Apparently it was really good.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,023 Member
    edited July 2019

Yep.

Never heard of putting sugar or lemon juice on pancakes, maybe more of an Australian thing? And for some reason I've never liked butter on mine.

I sometimes make these higher fiber/higher protein pancakes now (the only eggs in that meal are in the pancakes, because of calories adding up) and eat with bacon and unfrosted frozen berries, usually strawberries, as they become syrup like, but I can totally see pancakes with bacon and eggs being tasty now, with the yolk (over easy) and syrup getting on the bacon and pancakes.

Tbh, I'm not sure if it's an Australian thing or just that my nana always made them like that (she had Scottish ancestors) She made pansized pancakes and slathered them with butter then sprinkled with sugar and then lemon juice.. I think I can see now how I maybe ended up here 🤔😁

It's a British thing. Always have butter, sugar, and lemon on pancakes on Shrove Tuesday. (Just before Lent starts) Thick pancakes (called drop scones) are Scots/Irish in origin, thinner crepes are more English.
  • slimgirljo15

Yep.

Never heard of putting sugar or lemon juice on pancakes, maybe more of an Australian thing? And for some reason I've never liked butter on mine.

I sometimes make these higher fiber/higher protein pancakes now (the only eggs in that meal are in the pancakes, because of calories adding up) and eat with bacon and unfrosted frozen berries, usually strawberries, as they become syrup like, but I can totally see pancakes with bacon and eggs being tasty now, with the yolk (over easy) and syrup getting on the bacon and pancakes.

Tbh, I'm not sure if it's an Australian thing or just that my nana always made them like that (she had Scottish ancestors) She made pansized pancakes and slathered them with butter then sprinkled with sugar and then lemon juice.. I think I can see now how I maybe ended up here 🤔😁

It's a British thing. Always have butter, sugar, and lemon on pancakes on Shrove Tuesday. (Just before Lent starts) Thick pancakes (called drop scones) are Scots/Irish in origin, thinner crepes are more English.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that eats them that way. I was beginning to think I was alone. 😁
  • smithker75
    smithker75 Posts: 80 Member
    edited July 2019

I'm Australian and many cafes here sell pancakes with bacon and maple syrup. I appreciate a side of caramelised banana with mine too...
  • slimgirljo15
    edited July 2019
    smithker75 wrote: »

I'm Australian and many cafes here sell pancakes with bacon and maple syrup. I appreciate a side of caramelised banana with mine too...

Yeah.. I'm Australian too, yes there are Americanised cafes serving it in the last couple years.. we have many American influences popping up but I'm betting though as a kid you'd never have seen that combo or even thought of it..
    I'm just saying I'll have my eggs, bacon and toast sans syrup thanks 😁

Oh and caramelized banana and ice cream.. yes please 🤤
  • MichelleMinn
    MichelleMinn Posts: 90 Member

I do love a good pizza
    t1971.gif

Ever had Detroit-style pizza?

Not that I know of.

What sort of pizza is it?

Thick crust, with the crust carmelized. Sauce goes on last. Brick cheese.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member

Yeah.. I'm Australian too, yes there are Americanised cafes serving it in the last couple years.. we have many American influences popping up but I'm betting though as a kid you'd never have seen that combo or even thought of it..
    I'm just saying I'll have my eggs, bacon and toast sans syrup thanks 😁

Oh and caramelized banana and ice cream.. yes please 🤤

I just made buttermilk pancakes this morning topped with maple syrup and bananas. I don't put sugar in my pancakes, though, so perhaps what I'm making is more technically flatbread? I usually like my pancakes with butter too, but since I'm trying to keep the calories in check today, I skipped that. Pancakes with strawberry jam, apple butter or plum butter are a nice switch up, too!

Though the carmelized banana and ice cream sounds divine!