WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2019

Options

Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    KIM LOL about the cicadas...I love the sound of them. A favorite childhood lazy-summer-night-sound. I can answer a few of your questions. Some are 13 year, some 17 year, but the births are staggered. The 17-year ones actually do emerge from the soil every 17 years. It's just that there is a new class of graduates every year, so it's different 17-year locusts this year than last year. Some years there are a lot more than others. Also, there are actually some annual locusts as well, so...
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I love summer crickets the noise is a sound that reminds me of summer nights on vacation at my grandma's in Riverside (southern california) - Riverside is a pretty name, but not a pretty town LOL however grandmas was the best.

thanks for the info Karen!
  • b4leaving
    b4leaving Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies!

I had fillings done today. As I've mentioned, I have a lot of anxiety at the dentist (and most doctor's appts), so they were able to do "oral sedation". Basically, I went in, drank down some medicated mixture and took a gravol, sat for an hour until I was good and sedated (while they took my blood pressure and pulse/O2 a few times), and then they did the fillings in about 2.5 hours while I was all gaga. It went really well. I am still pretty dopey and it's about 10 hours later. That was much better than previous dental appointments! :) And I had a really great nap when I got home.

Everything else is going ok. I lost some more weight and that feels great.

Vince (my partner) is doing better with his ankle sprain. He goes into physio tomorrow, hopefully will get his next set of exercises. He's not very patient with physio. Last time he went twice. He's pretty sure he's only going twice again! We did buy some crutches online, so at least he'll have them for next time.

Oh, we had a mourning dove that only has one foot. I spent a lot of time watching him/her. It uses it's wings sometimes like crutches. I hope it does ok. It's shown up almost every day for about a week and spends a lot of time on our deck. We have a lot of mourning doves around, so I assume it has a mate.

Well, I am super sleepy so I guess I'll go to bed again.

-Shannon in rural Ontario, Canada
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    t2237.gif
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,127 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Allie - This is said with only love and caring, but can I recommend that you carefully proof for spelling the paper work you fill out, there are a couple of words you often mis-spell here and there is nothing worst than undermining ones best efforts by having a glaring (to those who can spell) spelling error... It came to mind as Saturday is one of those you often put an e where the u is... (an e makes more sense to me too... but the dictionary says u). I did an application when I was looking and had 2 spelling errors, I didn't get the job and when I followed up on it they said that was the reason the hiring manager would not even consider me. Lesson learned!.. I use spell check and read everything backwards -(start from the end and read to the beginning) if it is something that is critical. MFP is not critical - so please don't take this with any hurt, it is typed with love.

Kim
    N. California

I agree with Kim. And as a Ph.D. in English who has taught writing for decades, and as a horrible speller, I recommend Richard Cohen's Washington Post essay from 1992, Spelling Hell, written after Dan Quale's potato(e) mistake. The upshot is that spelling well has nothing to do with intelligence, but that doesn't stop people from making judgments about us if we are poor (or careless) spellers. So, I am a horrible (and sometimes careless) speller, but I am a good proofreader. Kim's suggestion to read from the end of the document is spot on. I also proofread by reading out loud to myself.

On my phone, so I'll stop there.

Do look up Cohen's article. It's a classic, and one of my favs.

Felicia, who thanks God everyday for spell checking

I might have to look up that essay.

I'm also an atrocious speller if left to my own devices ... but a pretty good proof reader. And I also proof read by reading out loud. I catch so many mistakes that way!

Spell checking is a wonderful thing! I keep wondering why my fellow student ... and instructors ... don't use it more often.

M in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,331 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Felicia - Looked it up. Great fun! Thanks. :D I think, over here, that spelling, while important, is not quite such an obsession. (See George Bernard Shaw on the subject ) Though I am appalled by the low level of grammar at the BBC. My DH and I sit there nit picking every night. A sure sign we are getting old. :laugh: I'm still a stickler for 'fewer' and 'less'. Plus many, many other things that annoy us intensely. Our biggest hatred is 'iconic'. It is used everywhere and, usually, wrongly. :#

Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Still catching up - hope everyone is well <3

Viv
    UK
  • Machka9
    Options
    Friday evening.
    Sleety rain is falling.
    Windy.
    6C but "feels like" -2.7C.
    And a whole list of inside things to do this weekend!

Machka in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,787 Member
    Options
    well no I feel like a heal or is it heel? spelling was never my best subject and I apologize as I have some brainac's here and I know improper spelling can drive people crazy..
    I don't know if I have spell check on here,but will sure look it up.
    working 11-5 today and 8:30-1 tomorrow
  • Machka9
    edited July 2019
    Options
    If you use Google Chrome, click the three little dots stacked on each other in the top right corner of the screen. Then choose Settings from the drop down ...

0p2pcdiqin81.png

Scroll down to where it says Advanced. Click the word Advanced.

Scroll down to Languages. Turn on Basic Spell Check and select your preference of English.

b8cu040i6pdu.png

Then when you type you'll get red squiggly lines under misspelled words. :)

And when we do a document in Word (like a CV or report or instruction manual, etc.) we run it through 'Spelling & Grammar' under the Review tab. Or at least I do because spelling isn't my strongest point and when I get typing I can miss letters now and then.

We can set the Grammar options as well to pick up as much or as little of the grammar as we want.

For my university courses, I've got my Grammar settings set to pick up quite a lot so that the Reading Level ends up quite high.

For instructions I don't set the Grammar settings as "picky" because I want the Reading Level somewhat lower.

Machka in Oz
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    <3
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,328 Member
    Options
    Allie: Don’t worry about your spelling here. It’s just that we want you to make the best impression you can for employers. My DH is a terrible speller as he is dyslexic. He finds spell check very handy. I spell-check anything of his that is official, as spell check isn’t foolproof (and neither am I, come to think of it 😂).

It’s dull, but dry here, a normal summer day for us! 😂. I’m doing some sewing and crochet in between getting my steps in.

☘️ Terri
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Happy Friday! I am sitting here, drinking my coffee and feeling like I should have toothpicks holding my eyelids open. Yeesh! I didn't sleep well last night. (Maybe some sort of subconscious anxiety about the kids arrival tomorrow?) My ankle is still swollen from mowing both the front and the back yards in one evening. I kind of surprised myself and got them both mowed in two hours! I must have been walking fast! lol It looks great, though; but my ankle is stiff and very uncomfortable last night.
    Oh, my dear Allie- Do not feel like a heel or heal. As the others have said, some very smart people are poor spellers. My hubby is one of those. He has, what I like to call, a "math" brain. He is very organized, analytical, former accountant, exceptional spatial reasoning; but his spelling, grammar, and language skills are in the toilet. SO...years ago, when he had to draft letters and such for work, I was his proof reader. I am the opposite, skill-wise. Math and mind puzzles like Soduku are NOT my strong point. I have such a mental block against numbers that I tend to become a bit surly whenever I know I have to do math to figure things out. lol Sometimes, I have found that spell check and auto correct are part of MY own personal spelling problem. I can't even count the number of times auto correct has inserted what IT thinks I want to say and it ends up being pure gibberish! Infuriating! :s
    Connie- We don't have many cicada up here in West Michigan; but we do have summers when there are quite a few, and my daycare kids LOVE to find their shells! My husband is not a "nature guy", so when he first saw the cicadas/cicada shells he got a bit freaked out! lol They are quite big! Funny about kids and the stuff they find and want to keep. Like your daughter, my daycare kids found the skeleton of a raccoon by our walking path this past spring. I had gloves on, so we examined the jawbone and took a bit of that home (it was broken) to put on our outdoor "treasure" table (so parents could see it). They were very sad that we didn't bring the whole thing home, and also sad when I tossed the jawbone at the end of the week. lol Glad your mom is on the up and up! I am sure it was the rousing rendition of Bohemian Rhapsody! :p
    Heather- A few years back, the american news media began using the word "troop" to mean ONE military person. For example; "Two troops were killed while on maneuvers..." In my mind, this means two entire troops of a dozen or more men! For the media, this means two men. This drove me crazy and still does. It has been added to the dictionary to mean: one military person or a group of military people. GRRRR...I know that this is how our language grows and evolves; these little acceptances and changes, but my brain just cringes at the use of that word to mean a single person. How wonderful for your friend to be able to help with the packing of Ros's things and to be thinking of all of her friends as she does it! It must put a smile on your face and in your heart every time you see the bright pink scarf! Glad your DH got his veggies! ;)
    Amber- Your new cut looks fantastic! You have a very young face! I love the pics of your kids playing together! <3
    Pip- Is your annual conference coming up; when you take a pic with your friend? I love that pic of the two of you! B)
    Karen VA - So sorry about your partner's son's mother in law. I think even when people are declining and death is near, it is still quite jarring when the end comes. So sad that she didn't get to hold the baby. But babies are wonderful to hold during times of loss. A true "circle of life" feeling.
    Barbie - Yea, for you! You are a true queen when it comes to dancing and keeping moving! I am so inspired by your posts of your activity! <3
    Beth, Meg, Sue, Rori, Machka and all I haven't mentioned- hugs to you all as you face/handle life's challenges!
    Welcome new ladies! Jump in when you feel the urge. Remember to bookmark the page by clicking on the star that is on the same line as the title.

"The boy will be here, tomorrow, bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow there'll be (grand)son. Just thinking about tomorrow, clears away the cobwebs and the sorrow, 'til there's none...."

"Tomorrow! Tomorrow! They'll be here! Tomorrow! It's only a day away!" ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Speling. The bain of my existentialism.
    :smiley:
    From KJ: Oh, my dear Allie- Do not feel like a heel or heal. As the others have said, some very smart people are poor spellers.
    Hear, here! :smile:

Allie -
    Some of the smartest folks I know don't necessarily spell (or type) well, including my husband. He also wouldn't know where to find the caps key on his phone if his life depended on it. We know who you are, and we do not judge, I promise you, but Kim's right, employers do. When I was in that position, I did as well, as someone who hired people a lot in various jobs. I pitched more than one resume or job application in the trash because of it... my best advice is to have someone you trust look at your job applications and/or resume in order to have a second pair of eyes on it. Everyone needs an editor. I go back and edit my posts here a lot - not for y'all's sake, but for mine. :wink:

inaloghome - Welcome. No advice on the exercise calories adding in at the top, sorry, but someone else here may be able to help.

Re: words beings being misused, I abhor the misuse of "literally." Makes my teeth hurt. Especially the phrase to note embarrassment, "I literally just died there on the spot." Well, no, you didn't, because I can see you standing there talking to me. It's apparently become acceptable as hyperbole, and it makes me flinch. Literally.

There's also a legal commercial that annoys me along those same lines, when the narrator says, "If you or a loved one has died after using such-and-such product, contact 1-800-SHYSTER." I end up yelling at the TV - "If I died, how am I supposed to contact you, you goober!"

I also catch typos all the dang time in newscasts with tickers running along the bottom of the screen, and advertisements where there is text... it's a curse, having been a newspaper editor in another life.

Happy Friday, y'all,
    Lisa in Arkansas