WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2019

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,127 Member
    Options
    This just came up in my FB memories, and I thought of you, Heather ...

"Today we took a trip into Melbourne to see the Bay and the colourful little beach houses. Brighton Beach is about 150 km from where we live, and the beach we stopped at just past Mordialloc is about 160 km."

rxwuz2jakm06.png

Now we live less than 1 km from the beach, and there are little boat houses around but not really beach houses.

Machka in Oz
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    1948Peachy wrote: »
    What interesting discussions here today!

Karen, I had to look up existentialism and still can't figure out what you were saying about your brain. I do the Washington Post daily crossword and am constantly having to look up the meaning of some of their clue words. I also do Pogo Scrabble online and am amazed at some of the words the players come up with.

When I was in college 50 yrs ago, there were no computers to help with spelling. In my English 101 class, the professor told us that if there were any misspelled words in our papers that we would automatically get an "F." So, I sat on the floor with a dictionary and had to look up many, many words.

Before I began teaching, I worked as a secretary for a large insurance company. I was so embarrassed when the president of the company brought a letter I had typed back to my boss because it had a commonly used word misspelled.

Today, spell check is my friend! Love it!

Carol in GA

Carol I was just playing a silly game with misspelled words and an incorrect word choice ("existentialism" instead of "existence"). It didn't actually mean anything, LOL! It was my warped way of saying "spelling is the bane of my existence". <3

Tracey Is this the cutest couple EVER? p0k2k8je3xra.png

Karen in Virginia
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Anyone here have any tips to get a 2yr old boy to suck on a straw? He blows only blows never sucks it’s hard to get him to put it in his mouth 👄! I’ve tried a few tricks I did with my Daughter but she was a quick learner on cups to straws she had a glassware set of her own at 2! JRs well cup tosser to straw blower ...were not to good with silverware either.Had sister y me drinking the straw to show him. He blows goes mmmm aggghhhh water 💦 like he drank it but he hasn’t (He’s a great imaginative pretender- she was literal kid with little imagination) . He also calls his tent a castle tower. Bought multiple silverware types he likes to hold them with a bent weird angled wrist or toss it grab with his hands lol like me with chop sticks. I put tea so he could see it go through a giant plastic straw in a Chuckie Cheese mouse head cup.

Amber Tx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Karen in VA: This is not an optimal time to bury a loved one in New Orleans, to understate the situation. My son’s best friend since grade school lives there and we’re hoping he and his family are safe and dry. I’ve seen pictures of water half way up their front steps. :ohwell:

Allie: Your willingness to be forgiving of your cheating ex is amazing. I admire your generosity of spirit. I certainly couldn’t do it. :noway: Kim’s advice on spelling is excellent. If you are filling out job applications, you need to be sure your spelling and punctuation are accurate. It will make the first impression of you & is likely to make a difference to someone who is hiring an employee. :heart:

Meg: WTG! Yard work is good for the body and mind. :flowerforyou:

Lanette: I’ve been missing Barbara’s posts, too. I hope we hear from her soon. :star:

Machka: You are not alone in expecting LY to be used properly. :wink:

Snowflake: Good to see that you’re still around! :smiley:

Yoga at 10 today. I’m still in my jammies. It is time to get moving!

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,127 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Friday evening.
    Sleety rain is falling.
    Windy.
    6C but "feels like" -2.7C.
    And a whole list of inside things to do this weekend!

One of my indoor activities has been attempting to organise my dressing room. I've come to the conclusion that if I lost 5 kg, most of my tops would fit better.

Hopefully we'll get our home gym set up this weekend. That should help.

M in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,331 Member
    Options
    Machka - gorgeous beach huts! (That's what we call them :) )

I had to ring the help line at the bank because I was not receiving the OTP texts. The man, from Northern Ireland it sounded like, was very nice. It turned out that my stupid phone had taken it upon itself to block all text messages from my bank. Plus from my phone network provider. I would never have known had he not guided me through the steps to find out. How that happened is a mystery. :#

Then I got an email, which was clearly a rogue one, purporting to be from the National Lottery. Watch out anyone from the UK. It was very authentic looking.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,407 Member
    Options
    A silly spelling story story: Our county's Director of Public Works used to have a fast-typing secretary who'd often type "Pu bic" (space left intentionally) instead of Public. IT department finally had to go in there and tweak Word on her PC disallow the word "Pu bic" lol.

In proofreading my own correspondence when I worked there, I often made the same error myself. :# Yikes!

Did anyone in the Seattle area feel the earthquake just north of there early this morning?

Lanette
  • b4leaving
    b4leaving Posts: 90 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    inaloghome wrote: »
    is there a way to not add exercise calories to the amount of daily calories you are allowed. I am trying to lose weight not eat more because I exercise. thanks in a log home in MA

hi there - I add all my own exercises to MFP and then put a "1" or "2" for calories expended (it won't let you put "0"). I also don't eat exercises calories as I feel it contributes to disordered eating behaviour for me. good luck!

-Shannon
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,936 Member
    Options
    Missed posting and reading yesterday. Phone app wasn’t working. Trying to catch up again. Super hot here and I’ve found I’m very intolerant to heat all of a sudden. Not sure what’s happening there.

Pg. 35 done

RV Rita
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    Options
    aee2a8k7gvq7.jpeg
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday! It is still HOT here and the water outside of town is still flowing hard and raising. DSIL is still fighting and I am worried about this whole deal. We both don't work this weekend so I am thinking another trip to Kansas is in the works. Tomorrow afternoon is our great grandson's 5th birthday party and don't want to miss that if possible. Car is still in shop so motorcycle will have to work.

Beth--Sorry to hear about all the problems with your son's care.

Barbie--Glad to hear your extra class was fun. Not surprised you are not tired. You have more energy then most people I know.

Shannon--Glad your dentist appointment went well. I am the same way.

Tracey--I enjoy hearing all about the wedding and the part about the first kiss was something I have never heard of, but what a special moment. Just looked at the pictures and thanks for sharing. Beautiful.

NYKaren--Good for you on inviting neighbor to lunch. I like to do things like that but chicken out.

Well ladies time to sign off.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE <3
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,328 Member
    Options
    ☘️
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    Options
    2qe5xcl80mdp.jpeg
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,331 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    My best ever autocorrect was when I was talking about the yoga mat I bought for my DDIL's Christmas present.
    I said that Jess's yoga mat had arrived from Amazon. It came out as Jesus's yoga mat. Perfect! :D

The Hairy Bikers chicken dish was delicious as always, but I could not find the boneless, skinless chicken thighs that I usually use. I used breast. Much too dry. My lovely DH rushed out at the last minute to get me cooking chorizo from our local butcher. Fabulous! I use red peppers, not green.

I count 400 calories per portion and it's one of our staples. We had it with spinach.
    Hairy Bikers Spanish-style Chicken Bake.
    It's on line, but the link wouldn't copy on my tablet.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Woke up with the thought in my mind that this thread is what the Internet was supposed to be... a way for geographically separated people to be part of a community that isn't possible in the physical world. Not one single thought or way of thinking, but all of them, wound around each other, centered around a few points of congruity, women, over 50, reaching for a healthier life. Best of all, we know as a group and as individuals that physical, mental and emotional health are ALL part of the equation. My thoughts exactly!
    I am still here, only just finished page 33, need to do some catch up, but life has gotten in the way! A couple of notes:
    Pip, hoping Kirby had a very happy birthday!
    Rebecca, Athena is just so perfect, I've never really seen such a perfect "rosebud" mouth!
    Machka, glad you had such an enjoyable time at the farm, the photos really are lovely and Mr Higgins is very pretty.
    Kelly, excited for you for the imminent arrival of your family!
    That's all my memory allows for now! The scale is being kind and then not so kind, but I am taking solace in that the numbers that are bouncing back and forth are, in general, lower than they have been previously, so it looks like progress may be being made.
    I decided a while back that I would like to get a bicycle and ride to work, it's about 10k and can be mostly done on a very popular recreation and commuter trail so not a lot of traffic to worry about. A friend of mine offered to lend me her bike for a bit to see if I really did like it and, my concern, if I could actually do it! Well, turns out I can do it, went for a practice ride on Monday, then biked to work on Wed. It's been really good having the loaner bike, I've found out a bunch of stuff that I will be looking for when I buy a bike and the seat is going to be a major consideration! She just has the narrow "usual" seat and, well, my backside has never felt more abused! I also noticed that I will need a helmet with a brim of some sort, or I will be getting a baseball cap to use under the helmet as on my way home Wed I had the sun in my eyes a few times to the point where I could not see anything. This only happened a few times and for very brief periods of time (split second) but it was very unnerving. It was just the angle of the sun, so I feel a visor of some sort would be a huge help. I also found out that I need a smaller bike than hers, and I want a bell on mine, easier than calling out to people when coming up behind them. All in all a fairly positive experience, even though I fell a few times, can't quite get totally coordinated on the stop the bike and put down the foot thing, but I'm getting better! It'd been about 25 years since I'd been on a bike, so feeling pretty proud of myself for that! This will only be a fair weather and longer day thing, not prepared for riding in the rain or the dark as this trail is not lit at all.
    Happy Anniversary to a few people, Happy Birthday to a few more (Sue good on your hubby and family for the surprise party!). Congrats to those celebrating anything else, hugs for those who need them and welcome to the newbies! Just jump in when a topic interests you, we are a chatty bunch! Also please sign a name and general location so we can keep everybody straight (not that that always works for me, but.... lol)
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island, still on Facebook, but constantly using the buttons to "hide" stuff from various folks that is reposted and of no interest to me, it is gradually making my facebook feed more interesting!
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    July Goals
    This week

Health
    1. Write what I'm grateful for here daily✔️✔️✔️✔️
    2. At least 30 min exercise 6 days a week✔️✔️✔️✔️
    3.Track all ✔️✔️✔️✔️
    4. Five minutes meditation 5 days a week ✔️
    5. Average 1100 calories net average✔️✔️
    6. Lose 1-2 kilos/month
    7. Take measurements every 2 weeks (?) ]not yet
    8. Go to free coaching session ✔️
    9. Try one class per week at gym (I had signed up-annual sign up- for the 7 euros a month extra for classes and havent gone since the "zen" stretching classes weren't great.) ✔️
    10. Use city bike 1x a week (I also signed up many months ago at about 3-4 euros per month, there was no bike free the first time I wanted to use it and I had completely forgotten about it, it's not in my habits). not yet
    11. eat fresh leafy greens 4 days a week ✔️✔️✔️
    12. try skipping breakfast had breakfast at 10 ✔️✔️✔️
    13. less than 50 carbs ✔️x xxx
    Long term writing
    14. Spend at least 2h/day on long term writing project averagex x✔️xxx
    15. Produce at least 3 rough pages per day average xxxxx

Home
    14. Average at least 15 min/day of cleaning ✔️✔️✔️✔️✔️

Paper
    15. Make a list of short term tasks, etc and prioritise them, x
    16. Take care of at least 2 short term (1 pagish) writing or administrative task/bill per week not yet
    17. Taxes not yet
    18. 1 h per week filing not yet

Art
    19. 1 hour on art project (other than sketching) per week not yet

Work
    20. do one work-related thing per week other than the above, to progress (I have to network and take initiative etc, in my job and I haven't been doing so much since focusing on thesis ) not specifically

Remaining from May to do some day : Make appointment with dentist 2

Grateful:
    some very friendly people at work
    some helpful people at work
    one director who seems really good
    mild weather
    going away for a few days next week
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    @Machka9 "But sometimes trauma means that there is a lot of extra work dumped on people. Recovery is not an easy, smooth, straightforward process." I agree. some people just have a lot of work they have to do. It can depend on cost of living and income per hour. a cleaning person in an expensive city has to work many hours to get by, plus still clean the home, pay bills, take care of kids if there are some, and so on. or a worker in a factory in china working 16h a day to not make a living wage. we don't all have equal situations.