WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2019

Options

Replies

• 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Allie ~ My dad was in the small community hospital for two years before his death and my brothers hired full time ladies to sit with him. He was almost blind and bed ridden. A hospital is an unusual place for a person to spend two years of their life but that's what he was able to do. I think you would be good at being a sitter but I also think it could be very boring. Now my DH is basically being the care give for his BnL. He takes him to his dr. appointments, shopping, etc. He also sees that his bills get paid and checks in on his house.

Julie ~ I don't know what teaching field you are in but the school situation seems to be a poisonous environment. Also, all the stress you are facing with obtaining a higher degree seems very unusual. My DnL is working on her 6 yr degrees and taking all of the courses online. She will probably go on to get her PHD in administration. Anyway, your whole situation seems very strange to me...JMO.

Kelly ~ I agree with Karen's comment about you and Joaquin both being two cuties! :)

Michele ~ My son and family stayed in Daytona for 6 days. Their favorite meal there was at a place called "StingRay."
    They also visited Inlet Harbor which was rebuilt after the bad storms several years ago. I grew up going to Inlet Harbor.

Thanks for the encouraging comments concerning my exercise!

Carol in GA
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    KElly kJ- no I have mine in the refrigerator still trying to learn how to freeze 🥶 them been watching how to videos on that. My air fryer was dirty sitting in dawn detergent so couldn’t use it yesterday! Ohhhh noooooo as JR would put it lol. I cooked in the oven to reheat hubby was eating cold 🥶 broccoli didn’t say a word he said your Peri-Scaring me today I rather eat cold broccoli then tell you it’s not hot. Chicken was dried out from being reheated too in the oven sigh oh well. Got my barring today so should be better. Today frying pan 🍳 only need 1 to make egg y toast (toad in the holes 🕳 or egg in a basket 🧺). Then dinner don’t know yet might use airfryer for cheese sandwiches 🥪 or do something else waiting to figure out Daughters mood y JRs.

w3qk2vtu8yaz.jpeg

Allie- Check your senior magazine y newspaper in your town to any bulletin boards at hospitals to assisted living centers people post there too who do assisted living.Their companies that screen y send out workers (middle men). Hospice Care. A page or two back someone posted the link for the online site to tell ones. The towns Free Clinics especially church affiliate ones keep a list of them! In my old town a catholic free clinic had the names another town was posted in the hospice swap shop along with free food to healthcare help station once a week they had a list of names on those days for folks just needing information. Type in hospital sitters online can find more stuff out cause some companies post online so they can be found.Hospitals sometimes have a list at the Help Desks. Hope you find a good one.

Exhausted today just tired 😴 one of those days today I’m sluggish the snail 🐌 moooooovin along soooo slow.
    Here’s hoping the days faster than I am lol

Amber Tx
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Did a Kathy Smith Full Body Workout DVD. When I went to do the Total Body Workout DVD, it was broken. I don’t know if it came broken or if I broke it taking it out of the case, so I did Kathy Smith’s DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to take the water class.

Well, last night at ceramics I put Sally in to be fired. We shall see how it comes out since I had to paint over it after it had been fired once

Amber – what brand of microwave did you get?

Allie – there is much more to a job than money. If it’s something you enjoy, you will be more inclined to go above and beyond (like researching something) and this will be noticed most likely in a promotion or raise. So even tho in the beginning you may not be making what you are making now, eventually you will most likely be making more. Everyone deserves a job that they WANT to go to. Going with what M said, when my father was dying we had a lady who lived with him. She did everything, laundry, cooking, cleaning. Yes, I would go spend the weekends with him so that she could be with her family. And I was VERY grateful, I paid her much more than she asked for, mainly because it was worth it to me for my peace of mind. You told M that you didn’t think they had someone like that over here. He lived in NJ. So they absolutely do have them.

Michele in NC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    Busy day cleaning, tidying and shopping for tomorrow 's visitors. It is my old yoga friend who is coming with her 80 year old husband. They will arrive in their RV before going to their camp site. I've made mango and coconut ice cream and got loads of stuff for posh self assemble sandwiches. Plus flour less chocolate cake. :open_mouth:
    A walk along the sea front is a definite. :D

Just got some dusting to do upstairs. A nap and a hair wash before dancing. Don't know if DH will be back in time for that. I will go anyway.

KJ - I've made the curry for tonight. Lots of veg in it. He is a demon for his veggies.
    I am so excited for you seeing Joaquin.!!!!!! Xxxxx

Love Heather UK XXXXXX
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    It is Construction Week this week. We are learning about all sorts of conventional construction tools (trucks of all sorts, materials, types of structures), but we are also going a bit more "abstract". One of the families brought two Monarch chrysalis to us yesterday morning to watch them hatch. One of them hatched about a half hour after arriving here, so we really enjoyed watching her dry her wings (it was a female) and releasing her. The other is still in it's green stage; so a few more days. ANyway, that prompted a talk about the construction of a chrysalis/cocoon. I got blankets, scarves, and various materials out for the kids to make their own cocoon. We will also be talking about "construction" of a story; basically timeline. Where they figure out the order that things happened. Also construction of a meal, where they will "build" the perfect meal, choosing their food from the food pyramid. I bought pretzel stix and marshmallows so that they can build structures using those (hopefully they can do this before eating all of the supplies!) We also have all of the assorted blocks, bricks, tiles to build any sort of building that they may want. Friday's construction lunch and snack will be served in dump trucks, as they build their lunch on their plates.

You do such interesting things with the kids. :)

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Allie – there is much more to a job than money. If it’s something you enjoy, you will be more inclined to go above and beyond (like researching something) and this will be noticed most likely in a promotion or raise. So even tho in the beginning you may not be making what you are making now, eventually you will most likely be making more. Everyone deserves a job that they WANT to go to. Going with what M said, when my father was dying we had a lady who lived with him. She did everything, laundry, cooking, cleaning. Yes, I would go spend the weekends with him so that she could be with her family. And I was VERY grateful, I paid her much more than she asked for, mainly because it was worth it to me for my peace of mind. You told M that you didn’t think they had someone like that over here. He lived in NJ. So they absolutely do have them.

Michele in NC

Actually, we're talking about two different things. :)

A hospital or patient sitter is a person who sits with a person in the hospital to make sure they don't get out of bed, or pull out their tubes, and who feeds them, and helps clean them, etc., taking the pressure off the nurses. It can be a bit boring, and a lot of them just sat there and read, but at times it can be quite active too, and you can learn a lot if you want.

What you're describing is a home care worker, and in your case, it was a live-in home care worker.

My husband had both.

However, there are opportunities in both areas! :) Here, if you want to be a sitter, I think you've got to apply with the hospital. If you want to be a home care worker, you usually join an agency who will assign you to jobs. That might be different in different places.

M in Oz
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,423 Member
    Options
    Allie - you have probably already checked this out, but if not, here's an idea.

Are there any home health care agencies close to you where you could apply and just let them know you would only be available an occasional morning or afternoon (on your days off) each week. Not CNA work, but the shopping/transportation to doctors - medical appointments/light housecleaning & cooking. You would likely only make minimum wage, but it would help your social security earnings.

Try it out, get a little more income since the dentist is cutting your hours back. You would still have time to tend to your DFIL, do other things you enjoy.

My housecleaner actually does this type of work in addition to cleaning houses. Of course, it's under the table payment but she enjoys it. And it's only 2 to 3 hours at a time, once or twice a week. She's been helping an older client declutter and even cleans out the fridge for her. And chatting/company with the gal the whole time.

I think you've already been doing that for someone a little bit in your condo building?

Just an idea. Something I've considered if I'm able and if I outlive DH.

Good luck. <3

Lanette
    Cool SW WA State
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    Options
    Allie- My Mom used to post in the local newspaper to other places she trained to do nursing in Canada 🇨🇦 had the requirements for her states. She liked the inhome y hospital sitting.She did research first some states y towns have bad ones y good ones. If it’s so bad it’s in the news avoid it or the one with a bad reputation in town.

Michele NC- 23ezm95xvn5c.jpeg
    Here’s my new Chef Mike
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hamilton-Beach-0-9-Cu-Ft-900W-Stainless-Steel-Microwave/50638697
    I used up all my e-gift cards on it y then credit card for the rest. Chose Hamilton my last one lasted a little past 2years. I like the 0.9cubic feet 900watt. Some folks like bigger or smaller ,but this meets my needs.
    Mine would go out during my Daughter visit wouldn’t you know! She loves to warm stuff in one in the middle of the night cause our stove part for baking is too high up on the wall for her. We’re winging it until the new one arrives on the 16th or 18th.
    Amber Tx
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    <3
  • vickyracine
    vickyracine Posts: 6 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Took the pups for their walk and did some weeding in one of the flower gardens before it gets too hot. Love early morning walks. My time to clear my head and get ready for the day! 😃

Vicky. Wisconsin
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,804 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the information, I will be stopping at the senior center and will look to see if they have any senior magazines.. also will check the Hospital website..
    patient sitter, just sitting in the hospital wouldnt be ideal because there is no movement most of the time.. I want to stay active..
    I will keep you informed on my progress ,because this Dental Job is done for me, i think what he is trying to do is push me out.. cant fire me because of age discrimation ,but ways around that..
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Allie - Lynette had a wonderful suggestion! When they see how good you are with the patients, they will be more inclined to give you more and more, there will be opportunities for advancement (on your terms). Good for you checking out the senior center!

Michele in NC
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    Options
    bfljksvemoo4.jpeg
    JR yesterday wore his Construction 🚧 Boots,wanted his long board shorts sz 6/7 so fit his waist but not length but you know kids y super heroes it was Spider-Man,y his Batman tank top just his size 6 (He’s sz 5 but this sz 6fits too I like that it doesn’t ride up! ) He was very unsure about strangers which is why he looks wary 😒. Lol so serious in public.

Oh yes the microwave same one I owned that broke.I was going to get something different but caved boughtvwhat I know. I miss the good old days when microwave were $20 tho. A cheapest ones $35 now of days regular price $48.
    Amber Tx
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Michele ~ I got the restaurant wrong. There is no Stingray restaurant in Daytona. I looked again and it was Riptides! :) Old age and bad memory! :s And, it's in Ormond Beach!