July 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @Teresa502 well done on your race - sounds like a challenge. I've been tempted to do one of those downhill half marathons, but I always hear it's so hard on your legs. Glad you made it through, especially in the heat. Thanks for sharing your race report too.

@shanaber so sorry to hear of the dog bite! Sounds terrible but I hope it heals well and doesn't cause you too much pain or recovery time.

Thanks guys for the congrats on my race.

Hugs to everyone.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @T1DCarnivoreRunner I didn’t realize you were in the Memphis area now! Which park are you running? My favorite long run park is Shelby Farms, on the Greenline. The weather has been terrible here, like running through soup, surely that’s not helping the quality of your runs either. I’ve been running at night recently because I just can’t handle the combo of heat and humidity.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic Congratulations on a great race! Maybe not as improved as you hoped but still, finishing fast and cutting 5 minutes is nothing to sneeze at.

@shanaber sorry about the dog bite, that is very uncool. Sounds like Hobbes wasn’t there to get hurt which is good at least. Heal well!

@Teresa502 Holy cow that’s a lot of drop! Surprised your quads aren’t screaming at you. Congratulations and thanks for the race report. I was reading something the other day that said watermelon is an ideal recovery food for some nutrient related reason but I can’t remember the details. In any case I love watermelon!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @T1DCarnivoreRunner I didn’t realize you were in the Memphis area now! Which park are you running? My favorite long run park is Shelby Farms, on the Greenline. The weather has been terrible here, like running through soup, surely that’s not helping the quality of your runs either. I’ve been running at night recently because I just can’t handle the combo of heat and humidity.

@rheddmobile Well, I am not actually in the Memphis area... I live close to Dyersburg. But for long runs, I can't run locally due to boredom on the 1/2 mile local trail or danger on the narrow roads. So I have been going to Memphis for long runs on weekends... yes, at Shelby Farms Park and on the Greenline. Actually, yesterday was the first time I went any reasonable distance on the Greenline. Nobody told me there are dirt trails alongside. I did not follow them this time, but observed some dirt trails on either side under the bridge between the jail and the highway maintenance building.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    The last pictures of him are smiling and running a race. I can not think of a more fitting send-off for him than that.

Beautiful. :heart:

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    In the tradition of @MobyCarp, who always wrote a great and insightful race report, I will write a short report of my race today. I know we all wish that we could read his report today too (I just read his last one, so much detail and knowledge of his running and himself) and it doesn't feel great to celebrate, but I'm sure he'd understand.

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    07/01/19 :::: 3.0 :::: 3.0
    07/02/19 :::: 4.4 :::: 7.5
    07/03/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 7.5
    07/04/19 :::: 10.1 :::: 17.5
    07/05/19 :::: 3.1 :::: 20.6
    07/06/19 :::: 4.5 :::: 25.2
    07/07/19 :::: 4.5 :::: 29.7
    07/08/19 :::: 3.9 :::: 33.5
    07/09/19 :::: 2.6 :::: 36.1
    07/10/19 :::: 4.6 :::: 40.7
    07/11/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 40.7
    07/12/19 :::: 3.5 :::: 44.2
    07/13/19 :::: 4.0 :::: 48.2
    07/14/19 :::: 9.4 :::: 57.6

Today was the Boilermaker 15k in Utica, NY, which is a large race (about 12,000 runners) that attracts some elite competition. First place for the men was Gabriel Geay - @Teresa502 this is the guy you mentioned right? - who finished in 43:36, a 4:41 pace. First place woman was Caroline Rotich, who finished in 49:07.

And now for the perspective from way back in the pack. The weather was pretty fortunate, around 70 degrees and overcast to start. Word has it that it has never rained during the Boilermaker race in its 42-year history. It was humid though, so I definitely felt it was hotter than the temps implied and I took lots of water, ice and popsicles along the way.

There was about a 15-minute delay in the start of the race because of a police emergency. Apparently there was a homicide close to but off the course (and unrelated to the race). Once the gun went off, it took a while for us to make it across the start line in the crowd. I wanted to be sure I didn't start out too fast, and this was not a problem with how packed it was. I didn't feel great the first couple of miles, I think I stiffened up standing around at the start so long. By the third mile I was doing a bit better but it was gradually uphill. And then the big hill that peaks at about the 4-mile marker. I actually struggled more on the gradual part that I had forgotten about and did better on the hillier hill that I dreaded, but the sun decided to come out full force for a bit so that was a tough stretch. Then a nice long downhill section between miles 4-6 was a great way to make up a little of that time (and the clouds returned!) and I tried to just relax and let gravity do a lot of the work. Mile 4 was my slowest and mile 5 was my fastest split of the race. Then I was trying to kick it to the 10k marker because I thought I might be close to a 10k PR (I wasn't) and then I felt kind of wiped after that - which is not great when there's still 5k to go.

Back uphill a little to mile 7 and then mostly downhill for the rest of the race. The last two miles seemed to last forever. I recognized the street that we finished on but was surprised how far down the finish still was. Even so, the last two miles were the 2nd and 3rd fastest of the race so I'm glad I was able to hang on and finish strong.

My time was 1:37:41 (10:29 avg pace), which is better than last year by 5.5 minutes. Which isn't saying a whole lot but that was my main goal going into this so I was glad. I know I can run a better race. I feel like I'm still really struggling with pacing and consistency. My splits are all over the place, although generally related to the elevation changes. I walked too much for water stops (more stops than I needed and stopping and walking through rather than just slowing), and this is a mental thing more than anything. I am grateful that I have thus far managed to be healthy and I feel like my training season is going okay, so I am hopeful that I can pull together a good race or two in the fall.

By the way, MobyCarp lived only about 1.5 hours away from me and I always enjoyed the overlap in what is local to us. I had hoped I would cross paths with him in person at a race someday but we never ran the same race the same year. Raising a glass to him now.

@katharmonic What a great run! Lovely pace.

And 5 and a half minutes faster than last year is wonderful.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what, but I feel a real need to pay tribute in some way to Kevin. We should put our heads together as a group and come up with something when we come to terms with the news.

I don't know if Kevin had anything undone on his running bucket list, but if anyone knows of something, we could help him finish it.
    Or we can do another 24 hour run like we did for @KeepRunningFatboy
  • Squish815
    Squish815 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Just popped on to catch up and have seen the sad news about @MobyCarp . I'll be thinking of his family and will be dedicating my next outdoor run to him.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    July 1 – 5.18 miles + 9 miles cycling + 30 min weights
    July 2 – 30 min kickboxing + 30 min Pilates
    July 3 – 5 miles + 45 min Yoga + 11 miles cycling
    July 4 – 4.09 miles – Red, White and Boom race
    July 5 – 22 miles cycling
    July 6 – 10 miles + SUP
    July 7 – rest
    July 8 – 5 miles + 30 min weights + 10.3 miles cycling after work
    July 9 – 30 min stretching + 30 min lower body weights
    July 10 – 5.07 miles + 45 min yoga
    July 11 – rest
    July 12 – bootcamp
    July 13 – 13.1 miles – The Scream
    July 14 – rest
    July 15 – 4.31 miles
    Total – 51.75 running miles (Goal 110 miles)

97% humidity made this morning’s run a real sweat fest. I foam rolled a little yesterday but legs are still sore from Saturday.

Thanks @Scott6255, @quilteryoyo, @katharmonic, @rheddmobile and all the “likes” for my race report.

Sorry you’re having issues regulating your BG @T1DCarnivoreRunner. Hope you can get things settled soon. The big swings that come with it are so hard on the body.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Just a heads up, Amazon Prime Day sale has Garmin on sale, some at like 50% off. If you were thinking of an upgrade, today would be a good day"

Link to sale: Gamin Sale On Amazon
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    Went out to just do an easy 8-9 mile run this morning, and was thinking about @MobyCarp. Since he was a numbers guy, I thought it would be kinda cool to do a run that matched pace to miles. If Kevin were doing it, he would probably call a 6/6 (6:00 min/mi 6 mile run) and easy run, but I am not up to his standard. I might could have done an 8/8 if I thought of it sooner, but first few miles were slow. So I ended up doing 8.5 miles in 8:50. Just something to dedicate to Kevin.

exercise.png

This is a great idea, I just wish I could keep pace... at all.