WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2019

Options

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Heather & Machka you’re lucky to have such great weather most of the time. I can’t imagine living without AC. It’s so humid in Minnesota. When I was younger I remember using cold wash clothes on my forehead and laying in front of the fan along side of my three sisters!

Rita - congratulations! You have fantastic results!

<3

Mary from Minnesota/Arizona
  • cmsavells
    cmsavells Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    The weather has been weird all over the world. Around the first of July, the weather people here said we had rain 22 out of 24 weekends. We have had several minor and one moderate flooding event on the river this year. July hits and we have had very little rain suddenly. It was over 90 degrees for 3 weeks. A cold front came Monday and it has been fabulous. I have a second floor bedroom with poor AC, but it has been cool enough at night that I could open the window a bit because it has been down to 60 at night. That is practically unheard of in Louisville in summer!! It’s been so relaxing to listen to the tree frogs at night!

Connie in KY
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    July Goals

Health
    1. Write what I'm grateful for here daily ✔️
    2. At least 30 min exercise 6 days a week lost track this week, major heat wave
    3.Track all 0
    4. Five minutes meditation 5 days a week ?
    5. Average 1100 calories net ?
    6. Lose 1-2 kilos maybe .5 k?
    7. Take measurements every 2 weeks (?) 0
    8. Go to free coaching session ✔️
    9. Try one class per week at gym. Try different classes. went 1x
    11. Use city bike 1x a week (I also signed up many months ago at about 3-4 euros per month, there was no bike free the first time I wanted to use it and I had completely forgotten about it, it's not in my habits). 0
    12. eat fresh leafy greens 4 days a week 0

Long term writing
    12. Spend at least 2h/day on long term writing project average 0
    13. Produce at least 3 rough pages per day average 0

Home
    14. Average at least 15 min/day of cleaning maybe

Paper
    15. Make a list of short term tasks, etc and prioritise them, and do them didn't list, did some
    16. Take care of at least 2 short term (1 pagish) writing or administrative task/bill per week ✔️
    17. Taxes 0
    18. 1 h per week filing 0

Art
    19. 1 hour on art project (other than sketching) per week 0

Work
    20. do one work-related thing per week other than the above, to progress (I have to network and take initiative etc, in my job and I haven't been doing so much since focusing on thesis) ✔️

Remaining from May to do in July : Make appointment with dentist 2

Grateful:
    -less hot today
    -kind and high integrity director in one of my 3 schools
    -major progress in one school
    -supportive colleagues in 2 schools
    -good lawyer
    -insurance

It was, they say, the hottest day ever on record in Paris yesterday. Very few individuals have AC in most of France. Usually it gets cool at night (60s -70s) but it didn't really -went down to 80s or 90 at 4 am -7 am or so.

Traditionally the old stone houses with thick walls did a good job of keeping out the heat. I was in one in 2003 when we had our last major heat wave and it was ok.

I had a cold (or gluten reaction, I had a beer at a friend's on Sunday, very exceptionally), and a low fever (just about 100 degrees) at the same time. I was walking very slowly so that elderly people were passing me on the street, and spent much of the day in bed with fan blowing on cool bottle of water and wet towel to keep the temperature down to 90 and not 107 as it was outside. Windows and shades closed to keep out heat, til it gets cool and open up between about 4 am and 8 am or so. Not a great feeling.

I found out they were making city halls with AC available to go and cool off. I probably would have gone had I known.
    the movies playing nearby didn't really call to me and you can only spend so much time in a shop.

Still have a cold (or gluten reaction or reaction to pollution) but it's "only" going to be 85 today and not 107 like yesterday. It's supposed to rain tonight and the heat wave will break. thank goodness. I usually do fine in hot weather but not so much this time.
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    thanks for the shout out auntie B! I'm overwhelmed by so many pages since last post 3 days ago.
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Morning, afternoon and evening, all...

Up far too early, but slightly stressed, and hoping the body will cooperate. The doctor-recommended fiber had far beyond the effects it was supposed to, so my gut is not happy. Just really tired of my body not working correctly. But, coffee is uploading, and I'll be my cheerful self shortly, one hopes. I'm also a big, fat dreader, I always have been, but once I'm up in the middle of the event/travel/whatever I've been dreading, I do fine.

Case in point: tonight's evening event, the block party, is taking over the museum and store area around the Purse Museum in downtown Little Rock. I find the whole notion a bit esoteric, and don't carry a purse for a lot of different reasons. The biggest one being, while they do make them big enough to hold a laptop, you'll dislocate your shoulder hauling it around for very long, so I tend to use a backpack to distribute the weight. What's funny about that is that I have designed and created more than one quilted purse (one of the few creations I've actually sold!) Still won't haul one around, though.

Nonetheless, I'll probably enjoy it when I get there, even if it's just my own inner, hopefully unvoiced questions of "why the heck would anyone ever use one of those?" Trying to "flip the script" to making it a place to get new ideas for constructing future ones. And, I'm not taking my laptop with me, for a change, as there won't be any place to store it safely, so just taking my Fire tablet in my suitcase. I'll regret that in the morning, but not for long, as our first meeting to get organized for conference day is at 7 a.m. :)

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,763 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    I am up and having my tea and will watch Joyce in a minute on my laptop.I usually do that in the mornings..I enjoy getting up before it gets light and I put out the FD meal worms as soon as I get up so my birdie friends can have breakfast without anyone yapping at me.. no bird feeder so no nasty grams.
    I am assisting today and tomorrow and then that will be done..
    and what I do give my DFIL is either chef boy r dee or compleats which are microwavable...
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,309 Member
    Options
    Rained overnight and much cooler today. I hope to get out for a run this pm. My knee is clicking a bit, so I hope it holds up. All the rowing I have done in the hot weather may have pulled my knee a bit. It doesn't hurt, so, if I take it easy, it might be ok.

Haven't decided what to have for dinner. I'm out of ideas. :(

Going to wash the guest linen ready for Monday when my friend stays. I've been sleeping in her bed!

I'm entertaining the kids and their ex nanny on Wednesday, the day after the reunion. I had a menu planned, but my son says the nanny is very, very picky and hardly eats anything. :s Hmmmmmm. I think chicken is on the menu, but I've got to get everything in advance.

I'm feeling a bit confused with trying to fit all the commitments in. :|

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,056 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Heather & Machka you’re lucky to have such great weather most of the time. I can’t imagine living without AC. It’s so humid in Minnesota. When I was younger I remember using cold wash clothes on my forehead and laying in front of the fan along side of my three sisters!

Rita - congratulations! You have fantastic results!

<3

Mary from Minnesota/Arizona

Well, the houses here have been built with the theory that we've got great weather most of the time. :) Unfortunately, the weather isn't particularly brilliant much of the time. It's so chilly and often wet down here in Tasmania for at least 6 months of the year ... and then on the mainland, some places are blazing hot in summer and chilly & wet in winter, others are just hot most of the time.

For reasons that I can't figure out, many houses here are more or less shells. Newer ones might have a little electric heater. Older ones are heated with a fireplace ... we lived in one like that for a while. Gorgeous house but so cold in the mornings in winter after the fire in the main part of the house had gone out. The hardwood floor would be almost frosty. We lived in a town on the edge of the Snowy Mountains, in between two ski mountains then.

And then, if it gets hot in summer, the houses get really hot.

The houses here are also very noisy because of the lack of insulation and double glazing. When someone walks past, it sounds like they've come right up to the window.

I lived in Winnipeg, Manitoba for a lot of years, and I'd call most of the houses here "3-season" houses.

My husband and I have said that if we ever came into some money, we'd like to build a house to Canadian standards. We figure that we wouldn't have to put heating or air con in it! Decent insulation would make such a difference. :)

Machka in Chilly Tasmania :)
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Lisa Oh my gosh, thanks for posting that Purse Museum link. The 'Girl Scouts Through the Decades' exhibit looks very interesting, the previous exhibits are fascinating, I want to go! This is almost as good as Julia Child's kitchen at the Smithsonian!!! Right up there with the Micromosaics.

Barbara Your high school friend's boyfriend was quite the imaginative prankster, LOL!!! Too funny.

Karen in Virginia
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,641 Member
    Options
    ///
  • pipcd34
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    Great NSV for me yesterday! I am no longer a diabetic with my A1C down to 5.1!! My liver has healed as well! Doc has cut my BP meds in half, lowered my thyroid meds, and removed 2 supplements that I no longer need which all were contributing to my bowel issues and lightheaded symptoms of late! Feel better all ready! Still have to visit gastroenterologist and cardiologist to make sure all is good. I’m also only 5 pounds away from a normal weight for my height and age. All this improvement since starting the LCHF way of eating in December! First time in 35 years I’ve had a great results at doc! I’m usually getting more meds not less!

RV Rita happy in Roswell NM

AWESOME SAUCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,393 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday, Ladies! I'm playing catch-up here.

RVRita - Wonderful news on all fronts for you. B) Please tell us again your target metrics on carb grams. Also, do you isolate the sugar carbs as well? And what's your total weight loss to date?

Rori - a bear! What excitement! Folks often spot them about a mile from us along the powerline, they must have plenty to eat so steer clear of our pocket of suburbia. So glad you have a pool there in your complex and are able to enjoy it. Do they keep it heated and open in the winter?

Lisa - I can see why you are such a fan of Oat Bran, great results there with the lower LDL. So glad your tests came out OK.

NYKaren
    - thank you for the link on lowering cholesterol. Always good to have reminders on while I'm making out my grocery list.

The last CSA box had small red beets, plenty of great looking potatoes (we don't eat many) and a big zucchini. I need to get the beets cooked up and maybe slice/sauté the zucchini. Hopefully the potatoes will keep for a long while tucked into the fridge crisper. Crossing fingers I'll start getting plenty of green beans, most of which I'll blanche and freeze IQF on a cookie sheet. Love them in the winter and added to soups and stews.

Beth - hope your comments made an impact on getting your DS's housing situation/care improved.

LuciB - Absolutely adorable grandchildren! Serene and beautiful FL photo! Thanks for sharing!

Ginny - I can smell the fair food from here! Grilled pork chops and corn sound yummy, glad you were able to avoid the sweet stuff!

Terri - Happy 53rd! Thank you for the photos of your beautiful country! Glad your boat is all fixed up! Any fishermen in the family, by the way?

Machka
    - so interesting about the home construction in your area, almost sounds like the tropics (from what I've read.) Your description takes me back to my childhood home, northern Indiana. No central heat/furnace, Dad put in an LP (Propane) gas heater in the living room and cut a hole in the ceiling above it to heat the upstairs where the kids' bedrooms were & stuck a register there. Insulation in the house built in the mid 1800's was lath & plaster, single pane windows. I can remember trying to find a warm place to lay out my books and do homework in the winter, and that's really the only complaint I recall having a childhood which, by today's standards, would be poverty in the US. Hot summer nights - we kids slept outside and thought it was exciting until the mosquitos chased us back inside.

Today, we're very grateful for A/C!!

Lisa
    - love the "Time has a caterpillar has expired" <3

Still no word on the results of my ultrasound on Tuesday, but no news is good news - I guess - in that they didn't find anything super nasty in there. Just hoping they found something that explains this pain and is fixable.

On another front, I finally broke down and got a new blood pressure device. We had two whose results were getting iffy, one was at least 25 years old, the newer one, 15. So now have an Omron which is nifty.

I'm afraid I've been straying from my plan, so will start posting it as a reminder.

Make it a great day, ladies!

Lanette
    SW WA State

Program guidelines: IF 12:12, Net carbs under 80 gm, Fiber over 25 gm, Total sugar under 50 gm. Added sugars under 10 gm. On maintenance attempting to ditch 5 lbs. 1500 - 1600 cal/day.

Maintenance - 1900 - 2100 cal/day, staying away from sugar/empty calorie starches.

Macros: 25% Carb, 55% Fat, 20% Protein

• Machka9
    Options
    Happily ...

When I left work today, I noticed that it wasn't pitch black!! We've gained 23 minutes of daylight!! :grin: It was pitch black by the time I got home, but still it was nice to walk out of work and actually be able to see a bit.

I've been organising the dressing room, and today, I found a pair of slippers I haven't seen in ages. I think I brought them from Canada. I have a pair of really heavy-duty slippers for the particularly cold evenings, but these are perfect for mildly chilly evenings.

I'm sort of getting on top of things at work too.

And it's Friday evening!! :)

Machka in Oz
  • pipcd34
    Options
    5 DAY streak of riding in to work from the gym. just go to the gym to shower, then riding in the darkness, coming to work in the daylight.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,309 Member
    Options
    Been out for my first run in a few days. Hip Hooray! :D Breezy, cooler. One swimmer and one windsurfer in the waves.

Still haven't got dinner sorted. My brain is on strike.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Options
    Been out for my first run in a few days. Hip Hooray! :D Breezy, cooler. One swimmer and one windsurfer in the waves.

Still haven't got dinner sorted. My brain is on strike.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

BBQ Hamburgers!

Saag Paneer

Grilled Cheese with a side salad

:)