WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2019

Options

Replies

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Well JRs closet is done ✅.He had 2 Poop 💩 Explosions that he saved up just for this so scrubbed the house clean everywhere he touched except the tub.Gathering courage y strength for that next. JRs very happy 😃 giggly now.
    Haven’t had time to use up my extra calories yet today but need too .Got to finish the tub tho first things first.Then clean up before I eat or anything. Ran out of time to walk but feel I did nothing but walk from closet to kitchen table then cleaning up a storm so exhausted.Hopefully I burnt some sort of calorie. Hubby will be home for JRs nails y lotions 🧴 soon but first he’s fighting traffic to finish at a job site. Long day tomorrow will be a day of rest y walking.
    JRs happy with his handful of munchies y ant 🐜 show.He’s talking more so he surprised me y the pizza 🍕 kid with his food critic complaints. My Son can sound like his father y grandfathers rolled into one.
    Calls his Father “Daddy-o “ tells him to swing lol 😂. JR was so serious about his “Our last pizza did not have enough sauce!” That the millennial told him to file a complaint with his manager said sorry.I kept thinking as JR kept going on about how he wants sauce we paid for sauce! The young man gave his coworkers name said he made the pizza not him he didn’t know if it has sauce. I couldn’t believe how dumb of a conversation I was watching he’s 2 he won’t call your boss he can’t work a phone yet he’s in a diaper not a suit! I tipped the poor kid sent him on his way. JR should have said there was no cheese on it last order was somebody who ordered extra sauce, less cheese,pepperoni,y mushrooms 🍄 was definitely not our pizza 🍕. I don’t tell them but I only give good reviews to them because half of them are polite teens learning their first jobs...apparently their easy to push around even by 2yr olds bet their boss tramples them!

Amber Tx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

day 5
    no gym workout

bike ride hm 2 gym- 6.20min, 14.8amph, 140mhr, 1.56mi= 78c
    apple watch- 63c
    bike ride gym 2 sumn station- 47.58min, 14.8amph, 145mhr, 11.83mi= 502c
    apple watch- 436c
    jog station 2 wrk- 4.59min, 149mhr, 10.14min mi, .48mi= 67c
    apple watch- 58c
    jog wrk 2 sta- 4.13min, 9.29min mi, 150mhr, .44mi= 69c
    apple watch- 60c
    bike ride dome 2 hm, windy!- 17.38min, 8.6amph, 148mhr, 2.53mi= 198c
    apple watch- 141c

total cal 914
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Interesting discussion regarding various housing standards. My home is a brick ranch, build in 1956. No real wall insulation but not too bad. Should probably get attic insulation replaced/added to but haven't had the motivation for that. Since my husband passed in 2015 I have had windows replaced, new roof and remodeled the 1956 kitchen. Was going to have oak floors refinished, but dealing with that with two cats seemed too overwhelming. I had a decent quality laminate put throughout upstairs (that way, the house has oak floors!). Figured that was not so very different from wall to wall carpet (which I personally hate). Next job is replace interior doors (tried painting the old pine veneer doors, didn't really work), so I am going to replace them and closet doors with white doors. Hope to get that set up in the next few weeks, then upstairs will be in good shape. Will address the basement next year. Just trying to get some necessary updates done so house will be in condition to sell if I decide to move after retirement. In the meantime, I am enjoying the finished improvements husband and I always talked about but he always said would cost too much.

Had a scare at work today-staff member had possible fentanyl exposure. Got her to hospital who determined if there was one, it was minimal. Still took steps to clean area. She is home and doing well. All associated staff handled emergency well. Learned a couple things about our procedures we need to tweak. Even though you have a plan for such things, you always learn something, Thankfully this is only second time we have had to put protocol in action.

One of the reasons I got my new car a couple of years ago was to have hands free ability for calls. I only have my personal phone synced, but key staff at work have my personal number to call when I am on the rode. It just seems more people are angry, whether driving or walking.

Hope everyone's weekend gets off to a good start.

Ginny in Ohio
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Well, Tami home - hopefully recuperating from a cyst that had exploded on one of her; Will slept on the sofa (probably a recliner. He went on to take the girls home and turned around and went to Baton Rouge. I am unclear if they went home before going back home or what. The Natchez, MS ER/hospital is in bad condition. So that is why they were told to go to Jackson, MS or Baton Rouge, LA. They did surgery on her earlier this week (or late last week. Today we got a call from Trey and during their cruise and Trey fell and broke his ankle or leg (not sure which), and is supposed to go back in 2 weeks; I think he can go to an Orthopedist here (but, their friends live in Chipley, FL). On crutches, so that upsets Louis. He really needs him working.

In Georgia hands-free is not contained to just cellphones. They will also stop you from eating and drinking as well. Louis doesn't use his flip phone and lets Trey do all the phone stuff.

As for bikers - they are supposed to ride according to traffic, not pedestrians (on the same side as the traffic flows, and are supposed to stop at stop signs, and wait for the light to change. Now, in NY they have these people riding scooters. Saw one cross over 5 lanes of traffic. Stupid really is as stupid does. Reading C.J. Cox books, Louis got me started on those.

Not much happening down here in SWGA - other than it has been 'hot'!!!!! We grew up in a large 2-story house. In the upstairs hall, he had someone put in a commercial fan. When we had our windows open (lined drapes) it would pull them out 3 or 4 feet into the room. Daddy finally had an on and off switch so he could turn it on or off

Lenora
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,127 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Machka: Building a house to Canadian Standards is an excellent idea. I hope it is one that you are eventually able to do. Do you ever consider moving back to Canada? :huh:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Yes ... and but my husband's accident has put those plans on the backburner. We can't even go for a visit in the foreseeable future.

Katla49 wrote: »
    Machka: Your kitchen is sparkling clean and I love the color choices, but it seems very different not to have upper cupboards. I haven’t seen a kitchen like it before. :star:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

That was just before we moved in. :grin: It is a lot fuller than that now.

It's the same colour scheme ... in fact, so are the dining room and living room. Those three rooms are kind of open plan. Our furniture is wood, sand, taupe etc. so we've kind of got a bit of a beach colour scheme. :)

This was taken just after we moved in, while we were waiting for the bulk of our furniture. The kitchen is off to the right, and there's another big window off to the left. The house is quite high so I've kind of nicknamed it our "tree house" because we're eye-level with the tops of the trees.

wbx56b3nqsw9.png

M in Oz
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,383 Member
    Options
    Did some HIIT today. The plan for tomorrow is to do Gilad’s Ultimate Cuts and Curves DVD. This is a new one for me so we shall see.

After exercise went to WalMart to get Vince a few things. Before I leave for the soup kitchen I think I’ll stop at Dollar General and get another one of the knee pads. Update: The DG near me doesn't have them so looks like I have to go to the other DG

M – do you have heated floors there? I know they do in Switzerland. That’s interesting that your kitchens don’t have any upper cabinets. Never heard of something like that.

Lisa – I hope you feel better soon. Really liked the post about “being ready to fly”

Heather – was reading about the very high temps in Paris and thought of you. You…not feel like cooking??????

Margaret – unfortunately, NC isn’t a hands free state. Many states are which is why I love my Bluetooth. Wish more states would go hands free.

Made taco sliders for tomorrow. All I need to do is bake them. Just finished making the shrimp orzo salad. I probably should have had more shrimp in it

Question: what app do you all use for navigation?’

Vicki – my condolences on the loss of your SIL. Congrats on the new vehicle

Tracey – so sorry about your consin.

Michele in NC
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,085 Member
    Options
    Tracey I am sorry to hear about your cousin.
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Tracey, I’m so sorry about your cousin.

Carol, I missed the DQ day. I’m trying to give up sugar. I am unfortunately, way too familiar with that drive-thru. I could get a vanilla cone and have it eaten before I got home. Of course, eating ice cream while driving could get me a ticket, as I will address in the next paragraph.

As Grits pointed out, in Georgia distracted driving also includes eating and other things. You can get a ticket for using your phone all the time, but you can only get the distracted driver ticket for other things (like eating) if it’s in conjunction with something else, like if it actually causes you to have an accident. Some people think it’s ok to check your phone while stopped at a light, but it is not, you have to pull off the road. I have a friend who got pulled over for weaving. She was fussing at the kids in the back seat! She got a warning, though.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,936 Member
    Options
    >:)
  • Machka9
    edited July 2019
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    M – do you have heated floors there? I know they do in Switzerland. That’s interesting that your kitchens don’t have any upper cabinets. Never heard of something like that.

Michele in NC

Some of the newer or newly renovated houses possibly do ... but that sort of thing costs money to install and to use, and houses are expensive as they are.

Some houses have a few upper cupboards. There will sometimes be one over the stove if there's a hood over the stove. Or maybe a shelf on one wall.

We've put a shelf at the end of one counter and are talking about another shelf just to free up some counter space.

Built-in-robes are also something of a luxury. :grin: "Closets" in the bedrooms. Two of our three bedrooms have built-in-robes (closets). They're quite small but better than nothing. And many houses only have a built-in-robe in one room!!

So we sleep in the room without built-in-robes. We've made a dressing room out of the room with the largest built-in-robe and have added a large closet/wardrobe unit as well as our dressers, etc. That's the room I've been organising. The third room is our office so the tiny robe is full of boxes I will need to sort through one day.

M in Oz

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,879 Member
    Options
    <3
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Health
    1. Write what I'm grateful for here daily ✔️
    2. At least 30 min exercise 6 days a week
    3.Track all x
    4. Five minutes meditation 5 days a week xx
    5. Average 1100 calories net ?
    6. Lose 1-2 kilos maybe .5 k?
    7. Take measurements every 2 weeks (?) x
    8. Go to free coaching session ✔️
    9. Try one class per week at gym. Try different classes. went 1x
    11. Use city bike 1x a week (I also signed up many months ago at about 3-4 euros per month, there was no bike free the first time I wanted to use it and I had completely forgotten about it, it's not in my habits). 0
    12. eat fresh leafy greens 4 days a week 0

Long term writing
    12. Spend at least 2h/day on long term writing project average 0
    13. Produce at least 3 rough pages per day average 0

Home
    14. Average at least 15 min/day of cleaning maybe

Paper
    15. Make a list of short term tasks, etc and prioritise them, and do them didn't list, did some
    16. Take care of at least 2 short term (1 pagish) writing or administrative task/bill per week ✔️
    17. Taxes 0
    18. 1 h per week filing 0

Art
    19. 1 hour on art project (other than sketching) per week 0

Work
    20. do one work-related thing per week other than the above, to progress (I have to network and take initiative etc, in my job and I haven't been doing so much since focusing on thesis) ✔️

Remaining from May to do in July : Make appointment with dentist 2

Grateful:
    -cool weather today
    -less runs nose and coughing at present than yesterday evening
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    my gp (a woman) says that women usually gain up to 10 lbs at menopause and one can either accept it or work really hard to keep it off (lots of exercise and paying close attention to what they eat). She thinks it's better to just accept the extra 10 lbs as long as one doesn't go over maximum healthy Bmi, and says otherwise one spends all one's time exercising and closely watching food intake.
  • Machka9
    Options
    my gp (a woman) says that women usually gain up to 10 lbs at menopause and one can either accept it or work really hard to keep it off (lots of exercise and paying close attention to what they eat). She thinks it's better to just accept the extra 10 lbs as long as one doesn't go over maximum healthy Bmi, and says otherwise one spends all one's time exercising and closely watching food intake.

I usually put on about 1 kg.
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Tracy, my heart breaks for you losing your cousin at such a tender age. I lost my best friend to a heart attack at 46. She was also diabetic with high blood pressure, according to my doctor "a heart attack looking for a place to happen". Fifteen years later I still miss her terribly. We had become friends in our early teenage years and did our "coming of age" stuff together. So many good times we had.... I hope you can take comfort in the good times you had with your cousin.
    Vicki, my condolences on the passing of your SIL.
    Interesting about the differences in housing quality. Housing in a lot of places in Canada is not cheap, and most certainly not where we are. We were very lucky to have been able to buy many years ago when prices were quite reasonable. As we had purchased a duplex (with my parents), and it was all paid off, we were able to sell the whole issue after they passed away. This enabled us to buy our new home outright, so no mortgage! Yay! We do have strata fees as we are in a townhouse, but they are nowhere near as high as rent or a mortgage would be. Our old house wasn't insulated very well even though we did a lot of work trying to get things up to par. We had replaced all of the windows, upped the insulation and tried sealing some other areas, but it was still a drafty old place. So not sad to have moved! We first moved in there in Sept, I woke up one morning in Feb to the sound of water dripping on the floor, not a sound you want to wake up to! Turned out that while there was sufficient insulation in the ceiling, there was no vapor barrier! We did a "temporary" quick fix and just put the plastic up over the ceiling tiles. I say temporary, but it stayed that way for several years! It worked, just didn't look all that pretty, but since we didn't have a parade of people thru our bedroom, we weren't too worried about it....
    Hands free, here in BC we are hands free, and distracted driving is serious. This doesn't stop people from still using their phones while driving, but it does seem to be getting better.
    Single use plastic bags: local gov't is trying to ban them, most stores now charge for them, they charge for paper bags too. I've been using reusable bags for many, many years now, so I'm okay with it. I do have to buy plastic garbage liners tho. I tried using the biodegradable ones several years ago, but found that they would start to degrade as soon as anything wet hit them, so got annoyed with that pretty quick, but now we have a composting program here, so all food waste (ALL of it!) goes into a separate bin so not so much wet stuff hits the actual garbage anymore. I may try the biodegradable bags again. Course, I have the giant Costco size pack of regular bags to go thru first.... sigh. I don't really put out that much garbage anymore, we have a lot of recycling programs here, but now there's so much talk about the markets for our recyclables drying up, it's quite disheartening. Oh well, I shall continue to do what I can and hope for the best, I guess.
    Yikes! just realized what time it is! Must be off to bed!
    Hugs to those who need them, congrats to those celebrating (all occasions and reasons!) and welcome to the newbies!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,514 Member
    Options
    Young Dr. Patel explained that work you do in your 60s and 70's is to make your 80s better, just as the work you did in your 40's and 50's made your 60's and 70's better. Made me think of Machka's wellness diagram.

Machka would you repost it, and your expansion? Want to review what I did in my 40's 50's and 60's to get a clue for my 70's starting next year.

Lisa beautiful wings!
    Lanette fingers X'd for good bellybutton news and pain relief soon!
    Margaret SMH at that pedestrian cursing you for cautioning her to be careful after another car turned into/through the crosswalk. Maybe she was just shaken and unloaded her adrenaline on you as the nearest target? Here in Oregon using electronics while driving can incur jail time, not just $$, consequences.
    Barbie thanks for the link! Will come in handy next year.
    Shannon those guinea pigs must think they are in heaven. Spacious digs, interactive humans and fresh romaine to boot! Do you really have to give them back?
    Ginny "Learned a couple things about our procedures we need to tweak. Even though you have a plan for such things, you always learn something." Always. Glad your coworker is doing well. That fentanyl is scary stuff.
    Vickie so sorry for your loss. Safe travels.
    Tracey what a shock! (((hugs))).

T'ai chi this morning, 2.25 hrs line dancing this evening, stick a fork in her, she's done!

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    will update these later too, haven't been keeping up on my metrics. Meditate 0/31, knee exercises 0/31, CO>CI 5/31, vits+rx 3/31, play with Tumble 2/31, AF 2/31, steps: Tues:5770, Wed:3425 :{ Thur: 5949 so far
    Word for 2019: "GOOD" good attitude, good food, good times, good choices, good enough, feel good, GOOD! Word for July: consistency.