Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,029 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    *** Wellness ***

g6foyjkjg7v2.png

The chart above shows 7 dimensions of wellness, but I've thought about them expanded them out ...

Emotional
    Recreation - My husband and I go to the symphony and plays, we travel and exercise, of course. These things do help relieve stress and maintain an element of normality in our lives. We were fortunate to be able to take 4 days at the beginning of July and spend them at a favourite place of ours owned by a favourite cat.

Financial & Occupational
    Preparation - We're getting there. We've got wills and are making preparations for retirement and injury or illness. This is a big area on my list given my husband's situation. Lots to do.

Work - I'm still working fulltime, taking on more tasks, learning new things. Continued extreme busy-ness ahead and maybe some long days.

Intellectual
    Learning - I'm in uni going for my Master's Degree ... one course a time. This semester's course is Human Computer Interaction. More on that below.

Creativity - My creative hobby is photography ... which I don't do nearly enough.

Spiritual
    Spirituality - YES!!

Social
    Family - Good relationship with my family, fortunately.

I'm also my husband's carer since he had a workplace accident on March 22, 2018 which resulted in a severe brain injury. He has made a remarkable recovery given the severity of the injury, but still has many issues including things like epilepsy, memory loss and cognition difficulties, weak left leg, lack of smell and taste, and so on. Our weeks are full of appointments.

Involvement - I'm president, communications officer, and ride organiser for one of our local cycling clubs. And I do need to get on top of what's involved in the job of president over the winter!! We've just had our ride planning meeting for the upcoming season. That went well, so now I need to get the details of "my" rides together.

The local brain injury association has also dropped a hint that there might be room for more involvement by me.

Environmental
    Environment - We're slowly organising the house and making attempts to simplify things. I'm working madly on my half of the dressing room.

Health - I'm working with health professionals to address various issues before they become big issues. Three different physiotherapists!

Physical
    Exercise - I do a variety of active things regularly ... just about daily. Pilates, Rowing, Walking, Cycling ...

Eating - I'm trying to eat a generally healthy diet and keep my weight down.

Sleep - I have created a "cocoon of silence" that seems to be working quite well. Most nights I sleep deeply. I didn't anticipate it would be as comfortable as it is.

Alcohol & Smoking - NOPE!!

Regarding my course, Human Computer Interaction, I'm thinking of using something like the "7 dimensions of wellness" for my project. :grin:

Machka in Oz

@auntiebk ... :)

• Machka9
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Saturday -- cool, cloudy, threatening rain ... so we rode inside!

My husband and I rode the London loop on Zwift. He finished the loop in about 50 min, and I kept going another 10 min.

Distance - 16.98km
    Elevation - 212m
    Moving Time - 1:00:10
    Elapsed Time - 1:00:46

Speed - Avg: 16.9km/h | Max: 75.6km/h
    Heart Rate - Avg: 129bpm | Max: 152bpm
    Cadence - Avg: 72 | Max: 109
    Power - Avg: 89W | Max: 185W

Plus ... I walked 36 min (3.1 km) on the treadmill. :)

Machka in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,753 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    I am up ,dressed and having my tea...have Alfie's food set for whenever he feels like eating.. working 7:45 to 1, and I am assisting today.. thank goodness that will be over ..Zina comes back monday
    nothing exciting going on after that have to wait for the cable company to come between 2-4 so will sit maybe out on the patio and read.. then go feed DFIL at dinner
    did watch the 2nd mama mia movie last night.. very cute..
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK <3
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Tracey ~ So sorry to hear about your friend!

Vicki ~ Glad to hear that you were able to get a new car! Sorry about the passing of your family member but know y’all were expecting it.

Lenora ~ I know Louis must be upset about Trey’s broken leg as I know he depends on his help in the business. Glad to know your DnL was able to go home and hope she is doing well.

Machka ~ Your home looks really open and airy. I love all the windows but suspect they do let in the cool air if they are not the insulated kind.

Lisa ~ Sounds like you had a brutal day...Hope all goes well!

Have to go feed and walk the Pom!

Everyone have a great day!

Carol in GA
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Vicki y Traci -Sorry for your losses
    Lenora-Praying your family has Fast Healing

Relaxing son my list today

Rebecca-Glad to hear your son got some free chat time with you.Mine called but only wanted to know her panty size lol 😂.

Amber Tx
  • shcgiebs
    shcgiebs Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Not a good day yesterday. Numbers didn't look bad, but I know I didn't log all my food and I am paying the price! Spent most of the night in the bathroom. Taking it easy today, both physically and on my self. I'm human. I'll get back on track.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,618 Member
    Options
    my gp (a woman) says that women usually gain up to 10 lbs at menopause and one can either accept it or work really hard to keep it off (lots of exercise and paying close attention to what they eat). She thinks it's better to just accept the extra 10 lbs as long as one doesn't go over maximum healthy Bmi, and says otherwise one spends all one's time exercising and closely watching food intake.

I didn't gain any weight guess it's cuz I was already active from the get go
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Morning! Checking in before I exercise, shop for veggies and do some meal planning.

Proud of myself for getting the rest of the blinds installed upstairs—been stalling on the install, so I’m especially chuffed it got it done!

Heather I can understand not being in the mood to cook—heatwaves being one big roadblock for me.

NYKAREN
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    🍁
  • Machka9
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I'm accidentally filing.
    I just wanted to find a couple things.
    Next thing I know I've got folders & file boxes going.

It's not precise filing. Basically I'm separating the stacks of paper into three file boxes.
    And I've thrown out quite a bit.
    But I did not intend to spend this evening doing this!!

However, in addition to finding things (I've found one of the two things I was looking for), it will clear up "My Spot" ... my computer and work area ... which will make me feel better about working on my homework project and a couple other projects.

Unfortunately, to find the second thing, I think I'm going to have to go hunt in the office. That's a terrifying proposition ... the stacks of paper out here are just a fraction of what's in the office! And I'm NOT filing all that just now.

Anyone with good filing skills coming to Australia? :grin:

Machka in Oz

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    Options
    Schgeibs - Tomorrow will be a better day just keep logging y trucking. We’ve all made the skip the log oopsie .

Lol 10lb Peri gain true for me but I’ve gone through Peri twice now so more like 15lb gain per Peri plus pregnancy weights that don’t want to peel off lol. I was 120lbs for decades ,130lbs after a pregnancy loss, then Peri hit 140lbs,Got pregnancy weight off 130,pregnancy loss 140,no time to bounce back pregnant again 3months later with JR (Post menopause lost my Mom get pregnant twice think Mom was behind it lol she always wanted more grandkids lol) ,shot up up y away tubal tie surgeries y Peri menopause again after birth 195lbs! Now 165.4-166.4 keeps yo-yo back y forth. Lol so lost pregnancy weight but the damn Peri y tubal tie weight from both times hanging on tight!!! Lol oh well maybe by next year.
    I’m making a permanent change so not a diet it’s a life change. Healthier food but not restrictive. Exercise but mild cause toddler late in life’s exercise enough lol. Changing what we eat as a family not just me. Of course JR still gets Oreos to junk foods but it’s because I’m trying to maintain his weight bump it up during growth spurts. Measurements on him grows rapidly so high calorie diet with healthy choices added in for vitamins.Wish I had his diet lol eat eat eat lol munch munch munchy . Always covered in Cheeto dust lol.

Amber Tx
  • Machka9
    Options
    I was awoken this morning by some trrruble news that my cousin passed away last night. She and I are the same age, exactly 3 months between us. I am in shock and so heartbroken for her children, husband and brother. Her parents passed away 16 months apart last year and the year before. Over the last two years she had really taken control of her health and had lost 70 pounds, had her diabetes under control and was off all meds.

I am just shaken by this one.
    Tracey In Edmonton

So sorry!

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Heather: Hot weather takes most of the pleasure out of cooking. I hope things are moderating and you’ll feel better. :star:

Karen in VA: Our town got its nickname from a Disney movie that was filmed here many years ago. People had fun with it, and it became part of the seasonal doings in October. We have a Halloween Town parade, and a festival that lasts through the month. The fun gets kicked off with the parade with kids in costumes, marching bands, movie relics, and an appearance of the Sheriff’s Posse. I have many friends in the Posse. They’re not only a parade group, but actually do search and rescue work when needed.

Pip: You’re a role model in giving the boot AND exercising, as well. :wink:

Vicki in GI NE: I hope things are improving. Congrats on the new car! :star:

Machka in Oz: I love the yellow and blue color scheme! It is very appealing. :heart:

Tracey in Edmonton: I am so sorry for the loss of your cousin. :broken_heart::heart:

Rebecca: Happy to hear that your son is thriving in the Navy. Good news!!! :star:

Dr. Katie: It is good to hear that states are enforcing distracted driver laws. I remember seeing a woman putting on mascara while driving during the morning rush hour. There wasn’t a wreck that day, but it was miraculous that bad things didn’t happen. :ohwell:

Barbara: I just turned 70 and I haven’t shriveled up so far. I have started using a moisturizer when I remember to do it in the morning. :devil:

It is misty this morning, and I’m planning to go out to the stable and spend some time getting Arrow to move this way and that in the arena. I don’t plan to saddle and ride him. He needs to move around, recover his heath and remember his manners after pigging out on fresh grass. He can be a pill if he feels neglected.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    edited July 2019
    Options
    13dfa22u28vq.jpg

Lunch 187 calorie salad-
    Spinach y mixed lettuce 🥬
    A whole tomato 🍅 y banana pepper
    Shredded Chicken with fajita seasoning,lemon juice,mesquite bbq seasoning,pepper,y garlic powder.

Mixed everything together put the spinach y mixed lettuce on the side. Drink a treat I’ll surely get indigestion from is very bad for teeth enamel 4oz Diet Coke.Water to finish with. I should drink tea but I crave soda once a year don’t know why I always get digestive issues from it y know better.

217 calories was so good got another helping of spinach

Amber Tx

• cmsavells
    cmsavells Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Our city has a summer program called “Cultural Days”. Kids from infancy to age 18 can get a pass at the library to visit a multitude of places free over the summer. One adult gets a free admission too. We’ve been to several museums on our pass, but today we are volunteering at the dance school to give some time back. It’s not as well attended today as the last two Saturdays. I suspect this is the last big vacation week before school starts back (August 14 for us). Hannah is having a wonderful time teaching 5 and 6 year olds. I’m answering parent questions. It’s a fun day for us.

Cooking and the heat - Even though we live in a well insulated home with AC now, our upstairs just doesn’t cool well. We eat very light in the summer, or I grab something and bring home. I don’t use my oven. Everything is cooked in the crock pot, on my indoor grill or in the microwave. Hannah doesn’t handle heat well and has difficulty eating in summer. It makes her physically ill. She can lose weight if I’m not careful. Not good for her because she only weighs 92 lbs. We have trouble getting motivated about food in the summer. Unfortunately, I tend to make bad choices about what I do eat in the summer except for fresh fruit.

Condolences for those who have experienced losses recently. (((Hugs)))

Connie in KY
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,079 Member
    Options
    Weekend eating is my challenge, and this one is no different. I was a little low on my calories yesterday 950 but I will be high today fried chicken for picnic dinner again. Is that legit to borrow calories from one day to another? I wasn't really hungry last night, and all the quick and easy munchies were full of sugar. I'm so disappointed in the nutrition in my almond milk yogurt.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Tracey - So sorry to hear about your cousin. Sudden death is so difficult for everyone. :'(

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    Options
    Connie- I struggled with eating in the summer as a kid to young adult too. I loved tuna tho so tuna sandwich Dad would pile on the mayonnaise to get weight on me lol. Chips with the highest calories he could find.Lots of carbs.French fries 🍟 y burgers from Whataburger (very fattening restaurant) . Vitamins out the wazoo.Before bed chocolate promise land milk with equate or ensure shakes y vanilla ice cream mixed together he even tossed in protein powders or herba life powder before lol tasted good but a pyramid scheme company! Promise land milk litterely oh I miss it’s dreamy goodness! 260calories per cup! Cream in the milk like when you were young getting milk straight from the cow. For me it helped me maintain weight but gaining not so much had chronic diarrhea y vomiting so It was an uphill battle. Not easy to gain in the summer I only gained in the winter back then so Dad took advantage of that to help get me back up.I finally got to 120lbs was able to maintain it well until kids y peri menopause. Today JRs lunch is 3 bowls of baked Cheetos,2 pizza slices, water, vitamin D drop, 3 travel sized Oreo pouches. Were in gain mode he lost a pound got to get it back (growth spurts make him drop in weight). The Oreos are getting snubbed tho he ate some but wants Cheetos y pizza more.Dinner making him quesadilla y shredded cheese on the side with water. Snacks all day long from blueberry muffins to graham cracker to peanut butter in his Special K cereals with unsweetened almond milk.
    Amber Tx