WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2019

Options

Replies

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Carol in GA Way to go. I think its terrific that you are doing as much as you are. You'll begin to see that you feel better, sleep better and perhaps eat less, I know I do. Eventually you might even miss exercising if you don't get a chance to get in done one day. Very proud of you.

Janetr OKC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sharon near Seattle: We dropped white rice altogether. DH is diabetic and white rice seems to convert itself to straight to sugar in his blood stream. Brown rice is a healthier choice for us. :star:

Rebecca: Great quotation. Thank you. :flowerforyou:

Evelyn: I would love to see the grands after DH is able to be at home and comfortable. I would strongly prefer that he come with me. :heart:

Sharon the Cop in AR: Welcome to a great group of supportive women. Post often for encouragement and support—and to let off steam from time to time. Click on the white star at the top of the page to bookmark us. It will turn yellow. :smiley:

Barbara the Southern Oregon Coastie: Thank you for your good wishes for DH. I think every positive thought and good wish helps. :heart:

Janetr: “If you see me talking to myself, please go your way. I’m self employed and having a staff meeting.” I love this!!! :bigsmile:

Carol in GA: I was diagnosed with rosacea years ago. It seems to be gone. YAY!!! I credit a reduction in alcohol and healthier food choices for the improvement. :embarassed:

DH will be going into the hospital for an MRI tomorrow. I hope that it leads to a better understanding of his situation, and more effective treatment. He has been in pain for weeks.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,331 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I have been very prone to UTIs much of my life. Sex usually sets it off a few days later. Grrrrrrrrrr!
    Fed up with having to get antibiotics to sort it out as seeing a doctor is a major pain.
    Kate UK recommended D Mannose, which I have been taking ever since and haven’t had a full blown session since. I take a full strength one morning and evening and if I feel a niggle coming on in the day, I take another one. So far working. Fingers crossed. My mother was plagued by them all her life and had a major psychotic episode with one when she was old.
    Whoever designed our 'bits' down there did a poor job. :s
    I buy the 1000 mg tablets from Amazon.
    Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • b4leaving
    b4leaving Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    I do, however, have a UTI (urinary tract infection - minor, but mondo annoying), and called the triage nurse, who called in labs, which I'll need to go up at 1 p.m. and get those done. Worth it, if I can cut this off NOW, before it gets worse. CanNOT convince the VA to keep me on low-dose antibiotics, and that's the only thing that has ever kept me from getting UTIs hand-running, like four to six times a year. For me, everything causes them, from summer heat to exercising, to using a towel twice without washing it, to sex, to just not having time to shower for one day. I'm sick to death of having to fight the docs for what I know works for me.

Lisa - have you ever heard of or tried the supplement d-Mannose? It can be a good OTC treatment for chronic UTIs. Of course, not everything works for everyone - but if you're interested, look it up. It's OTC, so no doctors necessary. Just a thought as I read about your plight!

-Shannon
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Shannon - well done, you! Very proud of your exercising, you're doing a great job! If I can't get the VA to see reason, I'll give the D-mannose a shot. Whenever at least two of y'all mention something, I always take it seriously (and Heather noted that Kate suggested it for her, so that's three!).

Lab tests are done, and had a wonderful vent session with my best friend on the way back (hands-free, cross my heart) and was able to take the pyridium once I got back. Because it makes your urine turn bright orange, it obscures the white blood cells they're looking for in the test, so taking it beforehand makes it harder to diagnose. It just treats the symptoms, but it does help stop the burning a lot, and fairly quickly.

Contemplated getting cranberry juice, and may get some of the unsweetened juice later. Supposedly it helps.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,936 Member
    Options
    o:)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,331 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    My son was meant to come over for dinner on Thursday but now has to go up to London for work. :( So he’s coming tomorrow instead. Bit of a rush to get curry etc done, but most of it is easy enough. Just have to shop, that's all. Good job I did a lot of writing today.
    He's coming over because the rest of the family is going to DDIL 's parents for a few days.
    Doing nibbles of artichoke and sundried tomatoes on skewers, snails in garlic butter for starters, goat and sweetcorn curry for mains and homemade mango and coconut sorbet for dessert with lime dust. Not bad for midweek. :D

I will have to get a bit of rowing done in the afternoon. :o

Shannon - Your exercise regime sounds great and I'm glad you are already feeling the benefits. There is nothing like the feeling of being mobile and gaining strength and it is so important as we age. I still have my aches and pains, but I hardly recognise myself from the almost disabled person that I was. Keep going! <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    If I stop 🛑 eating healthy to exercise I’m more afraid of loosing the mobility I’m getting back y gaining the 30lbs back.If I cant loose much more oh well worth it to continue forever so I don’t lose this progress. Cousin has 50lbs to go y me 30-40lbs not sure how low to go.But don’t want to low my stomach condition can drop my weight fast so going to keep 10extra in case.

Amber Tx

Salad 🥗 restaurant recipe (from when I was a restaurant cook 👩‍🍳)

1.PB sandwich 🥪 crust in air fryer or oven 350* for 5minutes or until crispy enough- put in salad at end so they stay dry
    2.Onion Fry it with Pam spray until it’s carmalized yummy 🤤 -Toss on top before croutons ...same pan fry a cup or 2 of spinach leaves until their wilted just right
    3.In bowl 🍲 fresh spinach leaves,lettuce mixed,carrots julienne,tomato diced
    4.Guacamole instead of dressing

Also making chicken wings with low cal bbq sauce 60cal one trying to use it up then going to the 0-10calories versions only. Making plain ones for hubby.

Amber Tx
    Watching funny videos while I wait for chicken to bake.JRs refusing his pancakes 🥞 sigh* picky ol’ 2yr old
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    LISA it was my consultant who recommended D-Mannose, she said she doesn't advise antibiotics now.

BETH my DH has rosacea, I saw an article about LADIVAL which is a sun cream but some people had said it was good for Rosacea ans guess what it works for him, very few breakouts

Kate UK <3
  • LisaInAR
    Options
    So.... the tests were negative for infection, which is good, but not good because now they think I'm a hypochondriac looney tunes. *sigh* So, I'm off up to the drugstore for the suggested D Mannose, now that I've researched it, in hopes that I can head off what I'm pretty sure is coming.

Hopefully the test was correct.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
    Pensively wondering if I maybe I actually am a hypochondriac, but I know I have extensive knowledge of my own body... and most of me still believes I'm just symptomatic ahead of the infection... but still wondering.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,407 Member
    Options
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    So.... the tests were negative for infection, which is good, but not good because now they think I'm a hypochondriac looney tunes. *sigh* So, I'm off up to the drugstore for the suggested D Mannose, now that I've researched it, in hopes that I can head off what I'm pretty sure is coming.

Hopefully the test was correct.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
    Pensively wondering if I maybe I actually am a hypochondriac, but I know I have extensive knowledge of my own body... and most of me still believes I'm just symptomatic ahead of the infection... but still wondering.

Lisa
    - for the past few months I've been feeling like I'm on the verge of a UTI... I decided to cut caffeinated coffee way down (I was drinking 5 or 6 cups a day!) to perhaps 2 per day, and switching to lots of decaf. That seems to be helping.

Good luck to you - hate that feeling!!

Lanette
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    Options
    p3seeqri6njj.jpeg
  • LisaInAR
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »

Lisa
    - for the past few months I've been feeling like I'm on the verge of a UTI... I decided to cut caffeinated coffee way down (I was drinking 5 or 6 cups a day!) to perhaps 2 per day, and switching to lots of decaf. That seems to be helping.

Good luck to you - hate that feeling!!

Lanette

Thanks, Lanette - it IS horrible... like you're waiting for a teetering chair to tip over or set itself upright, and it does neither. Being female kinda sucks. A lot.

And sometimes it's really cool, too.

This is not, however, one of those times.

Lisa in AR
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,787 Member
    Options
    Down at the riverfront park for free music tonight. Waiting on the girls from work...saving a picnic table for them...brought earplugs think they are a hard rock band..
    Looking for something special to wear to the 40th reunion was scouring the internet
    And stopped at Goodwill tried on a few things that looked horrendous on me and gave up for the day.. but I have time ..
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Allie - Did I miss the update on what happened with the Dr. at work yesterday?

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Lisa - regarding UTIs-I get them with some regularity and have had the doctor's test come back negative. I have a standing order of macrobid. When I feel one coming on (and there is no mistaking one), I take one of the home tests and if it is positive, take my macrobid-usually knocks it out. Urologist is ok with that (I see hime once year). If I am out of script, I can stop by the office and drop off a sample.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    Options
    27fpgyvbv2j2.jpeg