Today I Learned...

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    TIL that the desert planet of Tatootine in Star Wars was originally meant to be a jungle planet. One of the producers found sites in the Philippines, but thought director George Lucas would be "itchy" from all of the filming in the jungle, so Lucas decided to make Tatootine a desert planet.
  • RevGym2
    RevGym2 Posts: 252 Member
    that you can’t improve unless you commit to change!

But I learned that years ago, not today!

Be sunshine to the world!
  • cee134
    TIL that the real Top Gun School imposes a $5 fine to any staff member that quotes the movie.
  • cee134
    TIL Iron Man was considered such a minor character when Marvel Studios began developing the 2008 movie that about 30 writers passed on writing the script, and Marvel produced three animated "advertorials" to introduce the character and show audiences that he wasn't simply a robot.
  • yukfoo
    yukfoo Posts: 871 Member
    TIL
    Fast food chains are seeing declining breakfast sales due to the gaining popularity of intermittent fasting.
  • yukfoo
    TIL
    Voyager 2, currently 10.5 billion miles away, will reach Sirius in approximately year 298,000 AD. Musn't forget to set a Google reminder..
  • cee134
    TIL that Teller (the silent half of Penn and Teller) began doing magic in complete silence when performing at fraternity houses as he found it reduced heckling and beer thrown at him during his act.

1il02n0ug5pe.jpg
  • cee134
    TIL the creator of The Sims, Will Wright, was inspired to make the game after losing his home and most of his material possessions in a fire in 1997. Thinking about the value of material needs as he rebuilt his life gave him the idea of a game where players managed the life of a suburban household.
  • cee134
    TIL The massive ancient library of Ninevah (think: Mesopotamian equivalent of the library of Alexandria) was burnt by the Medes. Unlike a library containing organic documents, the fires treated the ~30,000 clay tablets and preserved the cuneiform text very well rather than destroying it.
  • cee134
    TIL that gorillas sing happy songs while they eat. They don't sing the same song every time and they even sing louder while eating their favorite food.
  • yukfoo
    TIL
    In 1949, shoe designer, Adolf Dassler parted business ways with his brother Rudolf. Then named his new company adidas (originally it was lowercase like that) after his nickname Adi and his last name Dassler. So Adi Dassler became adidas. Rudolf went on to create rival company Puma.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    yukfoo wrote: »
    TIL
    In 1949, shoe designer, Adolf Dassler parted business ways with his brother Rudolf. Then named his new company adidas (originally it was lowercase like that) after his nickname Adi and his last name Dassler. So Adi Dassler became adidas. Rudolf went on to create rival company Puma.

This^^
  • yukfoo
    edited August 2019
    TIL
    Tuna are really big...You can fit about 5,000 tins of tuna into a tuna. And that you can tune a piano but ya can't tuna fish...

(wow that was a lot of tuna, tunas...tuni?)
  • Tinydancer106
    Tinydancer106 Posts: 3,678 Member
    cee134 wrote: »
    TIL that gorillas sing happy songs while they eat. They don't sing the same song every time and they even sing louder while eating their favorite food.

TIL that I may be part gorilla😏
  • cee134
    TIL: Harry Houdini started a tradition of stage magicians seeking out and debunking fraudulent psychics, mystics and spiritualists who claim to possess real supernatural powers
  • cee134
    TIL Sharks love heavy metal because the low-frequency vibrations are similar to the sounds made by struggling fish.
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,504 Member
    TIL that Saint Olga, before converting to christianity, in revenge for the murder of her husband by the Drevlyans, had all of their ambassadors buried alive, killed thousands at a feast in her honour, and then burned any cities that had not paid taxes to the ground using birds she had claimed as a tax from each house to carry sulphur rags back to their homes. So that's what you need to do get your halo?
  • epr31295
    epr31295 Posts: 6,213 Member
    TIL that I have a bad memory as one of my friends was coming over for coffee before work and I went to the gym and forget she was coming over so she sent me a pic of her sitting with my wife having coffee and that said you forget something today?
  • cee134
    TIL that unicorn hunting is legal in Michigan and you can get an actual license for it. It originated from a Unicorn Hunters Club in the 70's only to gain publicity, but it grew and came to actual issued licenses for unicorn hunting.