What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    9/19
    am
    Yoga
    5 Tibetan Rites (13 rounds each rite working towards 21)
    Sun Salutations - 8 Rounds
    Conditioning
    Jump Rope - 45s on 15s off x 15
    Strength
    Dead Hang - 1 x 1min
    Handstand Wall Hold - 1 x 1min
    Meditate
  • CentaurusSoter
    CentaurusSoter Posts: 433 Member
    Past two days have been 10/30s on the bike. About to start another bike session. Noooo energy atm. Need caff and half an hour of pedaling.
  • sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    5 min elliptical
    2×50 assisted crunches (not totally sure what the machine is called)
    3×10 weighted squats (30 lbs)
    3×10 each side weighted lunges (30 lbs)
    3×10 chest press (50 lbs)
    3×10 pec fly (level 3 -- for some reason the machine at my gym has levels instead of weights)
    10 min elliptical
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    10.6km in a novice 4 this morning. I personally did a lot of work on squaring my blade early after being called on it by our new coach a third of the way through practice.

There have been a lot of issues this year with really unsafe boating practices by people in motor boats. I watched a clip earlier today about a 4 that was broken in half by a massive wake from someone towing a wake boarder. It makes me wonder if that's part of why the juniors were out in the morning today (they actually probably have a regatta coming up). The boat in question that broke in two was from one of the primarily juniors clubs that is a bit farther south than us but uses the same stretch of river.

On labor day there was a bunch of awful behavior including one boat that more or less slalomed around three or four shells, including the one I was in.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,965 Member
    Just another spin class. The instructor is dealing with an acute hip problem, so taught the class off her bike (and is taking pain meds that make her woozy!), so at a couple of points she left us doing a sprint for . . . much longer than usual. :lol:
    aokoye wrote: »
    10.6km in a novice 4 this morning. I personally did a lot of work on squaring my blade early after being called on it by our new coach a third of the way through practice.

There have been a lot of issues this year with really unsafe boating practices by people in motor boats. I watched a clip earlier today about a 4 that was broken in half by a massive wake from someone towing a wake boarder. It makes me wonder if that's part of why the juniors were out in the morning today (they actually probably have a regatta coming up). The boat in question that broke in two was from one of the primarily juniors clubs that is a bit farther south than us but uses the same stretch of river.

On labor day there was a bunch of awful behavior including one boat that more or less slalomed around three or four shells, including the one I was in.

Ugh. It can be terrifying, what some people will do. People in wake-board boats, with a 'boarder, but no spotter, and music blaring from the boat, are especially scary.

On the flip side of that, I saw my coach (who was at the time the university associate coach, and I was rowing in a breast cancer survivors team practice out of the university's boathouse) give free t-shirts to a family who were extra-thoughtful in their power boat, navigating around us.

We don't have the volume of powerboat traffic you do, and mostly are rowing out on our own (no coach boat), so I will often shout out thanks to people in powerboats who behave in safety-conscious and thoughtful ways, around our boats. And I try to be conscious about not doing things that will be unnecessarily irritating to them, too (like avoiding passing other rowers and taking up lots of river-width, when I see that a powerboat is coming along, especially if they're politely minimum-waking).
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Had a pretty nasty stomach bug last night. Felt OK today and was supposed to be attempt #2 at the 5K TT. Didn't attempt it, was feeling off still. Did a fairly hardish 2K, then 3 one thousand meter intervals (harder on the first two and then a bit easier on the 3rd). Only did around 40 minutes today and figured I'd not press my luck with just feeling better.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Thursday.

30min with trainer - tough one today. Pyramid workout from 10 down to 4
    2min with slam weight, tricep throws and jumping slams then
    Press ups/sit ups/squat jumps.
    No rest between sets, dripping with sweat by the end of the 30min.

20min easy run

30min tabata class
    45min barbell class, elbow is a lot better but didn't take any chances and used no weight at all for upper body. Then as I'm running a half on sunday I went light on the legs. Instead of triceps in the tricep track I did glute bridges using a chair to raise my feel (both normal and single leg).
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    Spinning on my Peloton - it’s fairly new to us in my household and I’m loving it!
  • surfbug808
    surfbug808 Posts: 251 Member
    10 minute land exercises, 1 hour swim in the pool
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    9/19/2019 - late afternoon at park -

#1 - run slow 2 miles in 21:49.

#2 - run at mile pace 1:00 slow jog recovery 1:00 - completed 8 rounds 1.68 miles in 16:02 - target mph pace for fast runs was 7:30 - actual rounds mph pace were 6:35, 7:32, 7:35, 7:57, 7:48, 7:16, 8:09 and 8:05. Missed my target pace for 6 out of 8 rounds.

#3 - run at faster than mile pace 0:30 slow jog recovery 2:00 - completed 6 rounds 1:37 miles in 15:01 - target mph pace for fast runs was 7:15 - actual rounds mph pace were 6:44, 6:51, 6:51, 7:23, 7:29 and 6:51. Missed my target pace for 2 out of 6 rounds.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 980 Member
    I went bouldering yesterday. It was around 90 minutes. I went on my own - all my buddies flaked out on me.

It was an odd session. I felt really tired, so was unambitious. But I got every v1 I tried first time, and I also got two new v2s. So maybe I should have tried some v3s, but I didn't.

At the end, I forgot which locker was mine and had to borrow a phone to call myself to see which locker vibrated.
  • firef1y72
    edited September 2019
    Friday yayday

1hr session with my trainer. Was expecting 30min of upper body work on trx and 30min stretch. What I got was 30min of intense cardio and 30min of deep stretch. I was a lot looser than I usually am in these pre-race deep stretch sessions,.enough that I could feel that she could push a lot harder in to the glute and hamstring stretches than usual. Pretty sure it's the weekly PiYo class that's done it.

45 min total body conditioning, more of a traditional legs bums and tums class today with a lot of work on the outer thigh/hip.

20min easy paced run, unsurprisingly my legs were tired and it took real mental effort not to stop and walk
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Deadlifts 3x6
    Lateral pulldowns 3x10
    Dumbbell shoulder press 3x8
    Cable curls 3x12
    Kinesis core 2x15
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    *1x12 cable curl
    Deadlifts 3x6
    Lateral pulldowns 3x10
    Dumbbell shoulder press 3x8
    Cable curls 3x12
    Kinesis core 2x15

• thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    edited September 2019
    overhead presses 3x10 (attempted)

deadlifts 3x8

lat pulldowns 3x10

45 minutes on the dreadmill

sweet baby jesus i hate overhead presses. i still suck at them. was only able to do 1 set of 10, 1 set of 8, and 1 set of 5. i progress regularly in everything but those freakin things.

edit: *not including warm up sets*
  • Haven't done it yet but today is leg day...after work it's

5x 2-5 squats @ 315 ( mostly working on correcting my depth)

Superset
    2x30m farmers walks, a new PR attempt (258 per hand)
    2xSled pushes @550 on the sled.

I will "punish" myself if I fail to PR the walk by dropping the weight on the farmers to 225/hand and making myself do 4 supersets instead of 2.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,965 Member
    6.8k rowing the double, basically about 7 minutes launch & warm up, 10 strokes power 10 strokes steady state, repeated except when we had to spin at the bridges (and about a 3 minute steady state period while rounding a corner I can't easily see around, so I'm more cautious), then around 10 minutes steady state to cool down, and a slowdown to land at the dock.

Looks like maybe 20-ish repetitions of 10/10 from counting heart rate peaks, but that's imprecise. (In bow, I'm counting the strokes; I'm not mentally up to counting the pieces while also counting the strokes, especially under exertion; and I can't be hitting a lap counter or anything while I have both hands on oar-handles because I don't like to swim (especially when I mean to be rowing).)

Most seasons, we start doing 10/10 early in the season, then lengthen it to 20/20, 20/10, then start throwing in 500m power pieces, and so on, assuming whether permits. We didn't do this this year because of physical issues for both my most frequent double partner and me.

This is no kind of structured rowing training at all; it's just a way of having fun and building up power/endurance a bit, plus getting that nice exhilarated feeling from having worked hard. (I joke that I'm old enough to have a carburetor, and intense pieces get the carbon out.) It's challenging (impossible? ;) ) to carry best technique into power/speed, so that's a part of it, too.

Sketchy weather days, plus warm-ups and cool-downs, are a good time to focus on technique at lower ratings (a.k.a. strokes per minute) and intensity. In bow, I also need to focus on traffic/obstacles and steering (while facing in the wrong direction ;) ). Some people use glasses/hat-mounted bicycling mirrors as a watching/steering aid, but I gave it an extended try and it didn't work for me.

Oops, rambling again! :grimace:
  • sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    First time working with a physical trainer, so she walked me through some stretches as well as some lower body and core exercises. I feel like I can get around a gym pretty well (I've been exercising multiple times a week for 10 years) but it's nice to know where I can improve -- specifically, my weak ankles. :s
  • firef1y72
    thanos5 wrote: »

sweet baby jesus i hate overhead presses. i still suck at them. was only able to do 1 set of 10, 1 set of 8, and 1 set of 5. i progress regularly in everything but those freakin things.

edit: *not including warm up sets*

I think almost everyone struggles with upping ohp, my 1rpm is a pathetic 35kg and it took me nearly 6months to add 3kg.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Two hours of weeding, raking & yard work. It sure felt like exercise!!! 90 deg F in the middle of September. Yow!