Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Please help with this argument- Intermittent fasting related

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited September 2019
    never mind.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    raven56706 wrote: »
    On my friends side, he says Intermittent Fasting has tons of benefits and doesnt't have to be done with Keto.

I have said " if it doesnt have anything to do with Keto, why fast? just stick to the calories and thats it."

i mean correct me if i am wrong (i checked google and forget it. tons of "experts" ) but IF is just a way to restrict your calories thats it. say you eat 1800 calories a day for weight loss. if you eat 200 calories at lets say 8am, then you have the ENTIRE day to eat 1600. You don't have to wait but just be mindful of your eating.

What i am trying to say is there is no magic to it correct?

There's lots out there I'm no expert on IF but there are lots of benefits to it just google some more.

here is something on it for ya
    http://news.mit.edu/2018/fasting-boosts-stem-cells-regenerative-capacity-0503
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,097 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    never mind.

I keep saying that I am going to "never mind" the threads on IF but I just don't. They all turn in to this great debate just like KETO did for a while.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited September 2019
    mmapags wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    On my friends side, he says Intermittent Fasting has tons of benefits and doesnt't have to be done with Keto.

I have said " if it doesnt have anything to do with Keto, why fast? just stick to the calories and thats it."

i mean correct me if i am wrong (i checked google and forget it. tons of "experts" ) but IF is just a way to restrict your calories thats it. say you eat 1800 calories a day for weight loss. if you eat 200 calories at lets say 8am, then you have the ENTIRE day to eat 1600. You don't have to wait but just be mindful of your eating.

There's lots out there I'm no expert on IF but there are lots of benefits to it just google some more.

Mouse study.

Yeah, it's amazing how frequently people jump on some clickbait about IF. The majority of them are mouse studies which may or may not translate to humans. A small % of mouse studies typically do.

There have been mostly short term, low participant and often uncontrolled studies on IF with human participants. More in depth, high quality human studies would certainly be beneficial. As of now, none of these auxiliary benefits are proven. As a person who practices IF, I hope there are more benefits. But I'm not going to claim them and act on them until there is proof. We should all recall how fat was the boogie man in the 70s and 80s based on insufficient evidence...

If someone else want to be an early adapter and bet on the come, that is up to them but don't claim it as fact please and using mouse studies only undermines your credibility.

I am with you. I hope IF is proven to have all kinds of benefits. I have never said that none exist. But I have heard of miracle cures and fat burning secrets my entire life and none of them have ever stood against the test of science.

My personal theory has always been that some of the benefits may exist in humans but they they are so tiny they are hard to measure. If a person like me that has skipped breakfast for 20+ years had been measured back in the beginning and now perhaps something will have shown up.

While I would never try to connect this when I do read about this improvement in insulin resistance I sometimes find myself wondering if my 20+ years of "improving" might have contributed to my reactive hypoglycemia. My body produces too much insulin. On the other hand that would be a great clickbait blog: Can long term IF cause your blood sugar to drop to fatal levels? Find out here!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    haha i think this debate was more entertaining here than the one with my friend.

MFP brings the lulz!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member

Mouse study.

Yeah, it's amazing how frequently people jump on some clickbait about IF. The majority of them are mouse studies which may or may not translate to humans. A small % of mouse studies typically do.

There have been mostly short term, low participant and often uncontrolled studies on IF with human participants. More in depth, high quality human studies would certainly be beneficial. As of now, none of these auxiliary benefits are proven. As a person who practices IF, I hope there are more benefits. But I'm not going to claim them and act on them until there is proof. We should all recall how fat was the boogie man in the 70s and 80s based on insufficient evidence...

If someone else want to be an early adapter and bet on the come, that is up to them but don't claim it as fact please and using mouse studies only undermines your credibility.

I am with you. I hope IF is proven to have all kinds of benefits. I have never said that none exist. But I have heard of miracle cures and fat burning secrets my entire life and none of them have ever stood against the test of science.

My personal theory has always been that some of the benefits may exist in humans but they they are so tiny they are hard to measure. If a person like me that has skipped breakfast for 20+ years had been measured back in the beginning and now perhaps something will have shown up.

While I would never try to connect this when I do read about this improvement in insulin resistance I sometimes find myself wondering if my 20+ years of "improving" might have contributed to my reactive hypoglycemia. My body produces too much insulin. On the other hand that would be a great clickbait blog: Can long term IF cause your blood sugar to drop to fatal levels? Find out here!

This reminds me of my own longtime personal theory that the outsized benefits attributed to relatively small weight losses in the significantly overweight or obese (say, 5% to 10% of BW) confound the benefits of weight loss with the benefits of being in a calorie deficit -- that is, that there could be effects on some of the common health markers such as blood glucose, BP, lipid profiles caused by being in a calorie deficit over a period of weeks (presumably it would be an effect of the physical processes needed to recover stored energy), totally separate from the benefits of being a slightly healthier weight. I'm wondering if simply being in a calorie deficit for longer periods each day, which could cause more recovery of stored energy during that period (even if counterbalanced by energy storage in the eating window), could have similar effects.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    For tens of thousands of years or forbears were hunter gatherers. They didn't do so when they realized that they were hungry, or at a certain time (no watches, only the sun, moon and stars to guide them) or only after a certain amount of hours - how would they have known? And they hunted and gathered all the time. I prefer to eat something at home before I start my "hunting gathering" at the shopping centre / supermarket, i.e. do my food and beverage shopping. And I never enjoyed a big breakfast - an early lunch seems to suit me just fine which means that between dinner time (about 7 p.m.) and the next meal are about 16 to 18 hours. Call that intermittent fasting? Fine by me - I just wonder who told my stomach to behave like that...
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member

Mouse study.

This reminds me of my own longtime personal theory that the outsized benefits attributed to relatively small weight losses in the significantly overweight or obese (say, 5% to 10% of BW) confound the benefits of weight loss with the benefits of being in a calorie deficit -- that is, that there could be effects on some of the common health markers such as blood glucose, BP, lipid profiles caused by being in a calorie deficit over a period of weeks (presumably it would be an effect of the physical processes needed to recover stored energy), totally separate from the benefits of being a slightly healthier weight. I'm wondering if simply being in a calorie deficit for longer periods each day, which could cause more recovery of stored energy during that period (even if counterbalanced by energy storage in the eating window), could have similar effects.

I don't know. I do know that my lipids have gone the wrong way which seems to also be a thing with people who have a lot of fat to lose and are not weight stable.

I am not sure if my BP will actually improve until I have my surgery and can incorporate more exercise. It hasn't changed in nearly 150 pounds but it is only mildly high. Before medication 125-135/69-78 was my normal range. I apparently never needed any help with my RHR which has remained around 55 for the last 100 pounds or so I have bothered to add it to my SS.

I do find the various changes in physiology to be very interesting while in a deficit. I had no idea it could change hormone levels so much.