The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Options

Replies

• lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    @RubyRed427 Interestingly I've been thinking about you lately and voila here you are. Your comment reminded me of a video on YouTube I watched by Lisa Romano...not sure if your are familiar with her, but she does work with codependency and your comment about anxiety reminded me of one of her latest videos especially your being affected by "too much stimuli" Her video is entitled "Empaths and Narcissists - Why They Attract Each Other" In it she talks about those of us who are born extra sensitive, not only emotionally, but that our other senses are heightened and that makes us vulnerable to becoming overwhelmed and while we have some awesome qualities, it can also have a downside that she addresses with some tips to help us cope with our awesome nature LOL

Hoping everyone has a great AF day and that each of us may eeek out a bit of joy for ourselves & those we love <3
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Happy OCTOBER 1 ... hard to believe it is October...I love the fall and am enjoying this particular day because it is warm and sunny and presents another opportunity to sit on the deck before work and enjoy the sun.... <3

Today's Melody Beattie blurb is, "Be Who You Are" "In recovery, we're learning a new behavior. It's called Be Who You Are. For some of us, this can be frightening. What would happen if we felt what we felt, said what we wanted, became firm about our beliefs, and valued what we needed? What would happen if we let go of our camouflage of adaptation? What would happen if we owned our power to be ourselves? Would people still like us? Would they go away? Would they become angry?

There comes a time when we become willing and ready to take that risk. To continue growing, and living with ourselves, we realize we must liberate ourselves. It becomes time to stop allowing ourselves to be so controlled by others and their expectations and be true to ourselves - regardless of the reaction of others.

Before long, we begin to understand some people may go away, but the relationship would have ended anyway. Some people stay and love and respect us more for taking the risk of being who we are. We begin to achieve intimacy and relationships that work.

We discover that who we are has always been good enough. It is who we were intended to be.

Today, I will own my power to be myself."

Can anyone relate to this? Please share :D
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone for your kind comments. Very insightful. This week, I am making an effort to keep my evenings simple and got a massage tonight. No more art classes on Wed. nights which is a relief because it took all evening. I think it's true what @donimfp says, it is way too overwhelming sometimes to be in our stores. I know we're blessed with all the choices, but there's no need for that many.

@lorrainequiche59 Thanks for the video suggestion. I will watch her.
    Wishing all peace <3 !
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    donimfp wrote: »
    OMG @NormInv, Mwah!!!

Thank you! 💙
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Welcome @jlunt7827 ! There are so many wonderful resources on line. The sober school. Craig Beck videos on you tube. The alcohol experiment. There are also many books on the subject. My personal favorite is Alcohol Explained by William Porter. I read it like a bible. It helps reinforce why I do not want to drink. I'd also suggest going back to the beginning of this thread and reading. There are tons of great tips from the members here.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    Sorry I've been away. I was struck Wed. night with severe vertigo. I have never had it. Tuesday night, I had my first bout and I thought "WTH was that?" The room was spinning out of control. I went to work the next day but that night, I had such vertigo that awoke me at 4 a.m. and I barely crawled to the bathroom. I never knew this type of horror illness existed. I couldn't lift my head up for 16 hours without getting sick or dizzy. Day 3 today I am finally better. I have medicine and went to Chiro for Epely maneuver to help. Such a terrible experience.

That's where I am today. In bed, just recovering from harrowing experience.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    @jlunt7827 Welcome! Our little board is full of people who want to be AF or at least will do their best to reach that goal. One day at a time is a brilliant philosophy. So you can tell your husband don't think of it as a year. That's too daunting. Think of it as "just for today, I will be AF...." It's wonderful you are supportive. I remember when I told my husband I thought I was an alcoholic, he was empathetic and then ordered himself a glass of wine. Would have been nice for him to join me in solidarity. So, it's very thoughtful of you to join him on this health challenge. xo
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Sorry about the vertigo @RubyRed427 sounds awful! Hope you're feeling better ❤️
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    @RubyRed427, poor you! I cannot imagine being dizzy for such a prolonged period. I'm so glad you're better today. Probably just feeling normal will be a huge thing to celebrate after that! Hugs, and hope you have a wonderful weekend.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    @donimfp @whitpauly thanks for your kind words! I am much better and am taking this opportunity to truly relax. Love you !