WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2019

Options

Replies

• grogers511
    grogers511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    ginnytez wrote: »
    Ginger-thanks for the quitting smoking tips. I am still a victim of that habit. My husband quit after he had a heart stent and never picked them back up but he still said got the urge for them occasionally and would even have dreams where he smoked. I have cut back significantly on how much I smoke. I also don't smoke in house, vehicle, etc. I am at the point of of thinking about quitting. I haven't drank alcohol for years, have pretty healthy eating but that last thing is tough.
    Ginny in Ohio

Ginny - You can do it. This was my journey: 🔲 In 2013 was on a mission to manage my health. So I made a list of all the things I needed to do to “improve my health”. Then I started working through my list. Putting big check marks next to each item. I knew the cardio and gastro docs were going to tell me to quit smoking - so I quit just before seeing them. I wanted to be able to say I quit. My thought was to take it one day at a time and the worst thing that could happen is - I’d start smoking again. Nothing to lose by trying. I never seriously thought of smoking as an addiction. All that kind of talk just seemed to go in one ear and out the other. Oh I would say “I’m addicted to these things.” But I mostly said that in a joking way. Turns out... the joke was on me. I never considered that NICOTINE is such an addictive substance. For me smoking was about the whole ritual of smoking. But, I learned there’s a reason it’s a ritual... and that’s because it is an addiction. Much like heroin, meth, alcohol. That was a real eye opener for me. 🔲 I highly recommend watching a 12 minute somewhat entertaining YouTube video by Doc Mike Evans - titled What is the Single Best Thing You Can Do to Quit Smoking? (Short and entertaining - best for my squirrel brain.) When I watched the part about nicotine receptors on my brain... it clicked for me. I smoked my last 3 packs of cigarettes and didn’t buy any more. 🔲 Just before opening that 3rd pack - I found the Quit Coach app by LIVESTRONG and started tracking the times I craved and the times I smoked. Just the tap of a button on the app. I became more aware. Then I found the associated online community. Great support there. And I learned so much there. 🔲 There’s also a great educational website: whyquit.com.
    🔲 Good Luck to you! You can do it. What’s the worst that can happen by trying? ❤️

Ginger in Texas
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,577 Member
    Options
    Ooo
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Rhonda- Perhaps, ask him to rent a shared workspace, a la WeWork.

As for eating, we used to sit down to dinner every night and even though it was only 15 minutes, it was nice. However, now my mister and I are different "dieting" schedules. So, I cook something and it's in the fridge and we eat when it works for us. We do eat breakfast together every day and we do have time to talk in the evenings, but we do what works for each of us. I also miss cooking, but look at the bright side...I don't miss the cleaning up.

We could not live peacefully in a small place. We both need our space and when we bought our current house, I insisted upon my own garage space and my own bathroom. My own garage space lasted until I ceased to have a car. But my bathroom is sacred and he no longer enters without knocking.

We also had just over a year where he wasn't working, and as I've mentioned, I work from home. Although he wasn't in the house most of the daytime, he was still "there." 24 hours a day is FAR too much time together for us.

Tina in CA
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Janet, you are simply beautiful!

Carol, I’d be upset if my husband decided to smoke again, too. On the other hand, I am sympathetic to how hard it is to break a habit that is pleasurable.

Rita, hugs.

• coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Leftover batter!
    w3jbyqaa6zeb.jpg
    💖Rebecca
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    <3
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Wise advice Katla.👍💖
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,577 Member
    Options
    stat for the day:

treadmill jog- 48.10min,142ahr, 162mhr, 9.38min mi, 6.2-9.0sp, 5mi 568c
    apple watch- 606c

total cal 568
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,931 Member
    Options
    Rho97070 wrote: »
    Reinventing Rhonda - Oct 6, 2019 - End of first week
    The Good and The Bad

First the good:
    I walked every day this past week and I'm feeling the benefits: I'm more inclined to "just do it" without an internal mental fight going on in my head and I feel a tinge of pride that I've done it when finished. I'm now just under 200lbs! Getting under 200 is great motivation for me to up my exercise, although I know there may be some variation in the days to come. Cleaning up/out my garage is nearly complete. My BF is a bit of a hoarder and his stuff was mixed with mine. Having to move his stuff (I'm taking kid stuff from the 1950's and 1960's!) to get to mine frustrated the heck out of me. Plus, I know I'll move in the next year, maybe two, and with advancing age I want to make the move as easy as possible. What's more, vowed I would not leave a mess for my children to clean up like both of my parents did. Yesterday, I gathered up BF's stuff. Today, I will move his stuff into his garage.

Clean out clothes closet and complete scanning important papers - I carved out time this coming week to clean out my closet and feel that digitizing the papers will be completed by the end of the month. Logging foods, eating more veggies - Is going okay, but I need to improve doing both!

Now for the bad:
    My boundaries are well established, and I'm a fairly self-directed, disciplined morning person that prefers somewhat regular times to sleep, shower, eat meals, exercise, etc. My BF is the opposite and we live in a 1-bedroom apt. He works from home. His clients contact him willy-nilly and he often works well after midnight. We've talked about my needing regular sleep, meals, and lights out in the bedroom after 10pm, etc. When we talk he's empathetic and adjusts his activities so we can enjoy meals together, sleep better, and do fun things together. But after a short while the cycle starts again. He'll claim no time to sit down for a meal together (after I've gone to the trouble); turns on bedroom lights upon going to bed and leaves his phone on/respond to clients late at night - urggh! One of my aims last month was to re-establish a regular sleep schedule and I was successful. But last week, well, I now feel it was practically all for naught and I'm grumpy.

I really like Janet's quote: ""Our lives move in the direction of our strongest thought". I've ascribed to that motto for some time. It helped greatly in changing the trajectory my life could have gone towards with my ex-spouse. Right now, I could use some suggestions to replace the current thought in my head that says I'm raising another son - anyone?

Can you move into a 2-bedroom place?

My husband and I couldn't function in a 1-bedroom ... we can barely do it for a night or two on holidays.

He's an early bird and I'm a night owl.

M in Oz
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,060 Member
    Options
    Heather thank you for thinking of me when viewing sculptures. You are right I would love them. I loved visiting Milas Home in Stockholm when I was there 10 years ago. We have one of his in our City Hall here is St. Paul. There are several in St. Louis where I grew up too.

I went on a historic tour of Stillwater homes today. Stillwater was going to be our state capital. Now it a suburb of St. Paul. The one I enjoyed most was done by a gentle who had renovated homes out east. His home out east had connections to Daniel Boone and Benjamin Franklin. Just listening to his stories made the tour worth while.

Perfect weather for it today!