October 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• BeverlyW1108
    BeverlyW1108 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart I love those feel strong & super grateful kind of runs!
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,531 Member
    Options
    Good luck this weekend @polskagirl01 & @BeverlyW1108

So winter isn't the best time to try and find a 15k event that doesn't involve cross country. The nearest I have is a half marathon with an 8k loop so I could do two loops and walk the rest. The only issue is that it is only 3 weeks after my first 10k in 20+ years and I think that might be asking too much. I could just plan my own route locally and jog it in December.

Looking at the half my local events are Brighton on 23rd Feb or Hastings in April. I really don't want to do Hastings as I checked out the route and the hill it goes up used to make my car struggle so not keen on that one. Other than that it would be Sep/Oct time.

Any thoughts on the above?
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Good luck this weekend @polskagirl01 & @BeverlyW1108

So winter isn't the best time to try and find a 15k event that doesn't involve cross country. The nearest I have is a half marathon with an 8k loop so I could do two loops and walk the rest. The only issue is that it is only 3 weeks after my first 10k in 20+ years and I think that might be asking too much. I could just plan my own route locally and jog it in December.

Looking at the half my local events are Brighton on 23rd Feb or Hastings in April. I really don't want to do Hastings as I checked out the route and the hill it goes up used to make my car struggle so not keen on that one. Other than that it would be Sep/Oct time.

Any thoughts on the above?

If your goal is a half, I would be looking at the Brighton one. Depending on how hard you can train, there should be enough time for you to get read, but winter weather can be tough to train in.

Is there anything else, say a little farther drive to consider? I would advise against waiting a full year to hit your goal if you can help it. Goals work better on shorter timelines (but reasonable) normally. A second half, or a 30k next fall might be a good target after you knock down your first half.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 woohoo!!!!!!!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    5 miles today - my FIL is still not in, he apparently got lost in Birmingham and delayed by several hours. My husband wants to know how this is possible in the age of GPS. All I know is Memphis shuts down at 9 pm so if they aren’t here soon they aren’t going out to dinner as they planned.

Beautiful running weather as expected, although with a very high wind. We kept thinking we were running faster than we were, because the wind in our faces made us feel like we were going 25 mph!

I sort of got lost a couple of weeks ago even using GPS while trying to get out of the cornfields of south-central Minnesota and back to the Twin Cities - I was going in the right direction, but got sent down some random unpaved roads that ended up adding 20-25 minutes to our trip. And all that because I turned the wrong way out of the only gas station in the wee tiny town we'd been visiting. Whoops.

LOL. I entered an address in my GPS last weekend and it came up with 2 matches to choose from. They were exactly the same address with the same number, street, city, state, and zip. So I just picked the first. When I arrived, it was wrong. But at least it was only a few blocks from the 2nd option.
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,531 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips @PastorVincent and @girlinahat which led me to a more thorough look and sure enough Eastbourne 1st March - not as hilly as Hastings, not as busy as Brighton. There is also Seaford in August.

My ultimate plan is a full marathon as I have promised I would run a marathon with my daughter for charity which I was thinking would be Spring 2021. This could be brought forward depending on how March goes.

Still not sure on 15k in 3 weeks or wait and build up to it in December on a solo run.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Still not sure on 15k in 3 weeks or wait and build up to it in December on a solo run.

Hard to say since I do not really know your condition well. Can you stall that decision till you see how you are doing after the 10k? I suspect you can do it, but I think you will know more after running that 10k.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Related to our recent discussion about running cadence, here is an excellent article about it.

https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/cadence/
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Related to our recent discussion about running cadence, here is an excellent article about it.

https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/cadence/

Thanks!