October 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Ooh, something I can wade in on since still not running (and getting frustrated that I can’t even WALK for long, given that the mornings are now bright and crispy and biting cold – just the weather I adore for an early morning run or walk in the countryside)

@Elise4270 I’ve always been firmly in the omnivore camp, but lately have been toying with the vegetarian idea, partly as I’m trying to eat up store cupboard food before moving house, and to save money. The few times I’ve tried a week or so of veggie, I find myself feeling sick and almost needing meat to get back on track. Not sure why.

I’m always sceptical of the so-called health benefits, as it’s easy enough to be an unhealthy vegan. I also don’t like over-processed foods, so fake-meat products aren’t going to cut it for me. Lentils and chickpeas are fine, beans are so-so. I don’t think I could properly give up dairy. I love lots of vegetables so that part is fine, I don’t eat a lot of bread, and grains are good. I had a meat mezze last night and it was meh. Just meh. Not sure why. I go through phases where food just has no interest for me (maybe I shouldn’t eat during those times?)

I hear a lot about the environmental impact of meat on the world. And how going vegan could save the planet. But I genuinely want to know if making all the farming vegan includes all the sides of mountain grazed by sheep, and where the nitrates for fertilizers are going to come from other than out of cows bottoms? I’m genuinely interested in the data.

I guess I’m an omnivore because I prefer more sustainable farming practises such as those by Joel Salatin in the book ‘the Omnivore’s Dilemma’. I’m grateful to like in a country where cows eat grass pretty much as standard, and I can’t get my head around how if we all went vegan, that too wouldn’t cause irreparable damage to the world around us.

Health-wise, I’m probably going to eat mostly plants, but with a side of meat now and then.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Didn't @MNLittleFinn give up animal? He's a beast.

Pretty sure he went Keto or Low Carb, just like @JessicaMcBride

nope, I eat everything. taking the time needed for rebuilding after getting into ketosis just didn't fit into my schedule. Oddly enough, I am on a vegetarian kick right nw, but that's to help break the psychological bonds of Hardee's hamburgers.

Ah so you WERE but no longer are. Okay :)

• PastorVincent
    Options
    Diet for me is much harder than most because there are so many random foods I can not eat (Wheat, Garlic, Onion, Honey Dew Mellons, Blue Berries, Beans, etc) I just try to eat a variety of what I can and hope for the best. It ends up being like 40-50% carbs, and while I would prefer fewer carbs and more fat, that is just not practical for me currently.

Diet, like running shoes, is very personal to the person doing the eating. SO long as you are getting all the raw materials (vitamins, minerals, etc) and enough fuel (fat/protein/carbs) there is a LOT of room for variability and flexibility.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

This race was awesome! I blew past my stretch goal and more importantly, I had a fantastic time. After such a rough start to the year with respect to races (DNF on my biggest race and two very slow finishes, my last three have really boosted my confidence and spirits, and give me hope for my long term goals.

This was my 5th race in the last 8 weekends and my 2nd ultra in 2 weeks.

Wow! Well done!!
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I was wide awake, in spite of the bourbon, beer and pizza, but eventually fell into a deep sleep and had a dream where I was in an abandoned house and every so often a vehicle would drive by and we'd have to drop to the floor because they were looking for us. weird...

I love the photo at the end! Thanks for such a comprehensive report.

• zeesparrow
    zeesparrow Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 Congratulations! Love the report so far; looking forward to part 2!
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 great RR prelude! Cabin looked nice, and so did that pizza and beer!!! Loved the last picture. Anxiously waiting for part 2.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Didn't @MNLittleFinn give up animal? He's a beast.

Pretty sure he went Keto or Low Carb, just like @JessicaMcBride

nope, I eat everything. taking the time needed for rebuilding after getting into ketosis just didn't fit into my schedule. Oddly enough, I am on a vegetarian kick right nw, but that's to help break the psychological bonds of Hardee's hamburgers.

Oh *kitten* I feel ya. Mines the quarter pounder.

ETA
    Hey u got any go to snacks? Something to quell the hunger until you figure out what to eat? Bananas and almond butter, jelly sandwiches here so far, and I noticed without cooking meat, dinner is ready much faster...
    If anyone switches and is say lacking a gall bladder or any other ibs-d ailment... Bathroom callings are non negotiable. I seriously pooped myself today. Funny, Not funny.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Ooh, something I can wade in on since still not running (and getting frustrated that I can’t even WALK for long, given that the mornings are now bright and crispy and biting cold – just the weather I adore for an early morning run or walk in the countryside)

@Elise4270 I’ve always been firmly in the omnivore camp, but lately have been toying with the vegetarian idea, partly as I’m trying to eat up store cupboard food before moving house, and to save money. The few times I’ve tried a week or so of veggie, I find myself feeling sick and almost needing meat to get back on track. Not sure why.

I’m always sceptical of the so-called health benefits, as it’s easy enough to be an unhealthy vegan. I also don’t like over-processed foods, so fake-meat products aren’t going to cut it for me. Lentils and chickpeas are fine, beans are so-so. I don’t think I could properly give up dairy. I love lots of vegetables so that part is fine, I don’t eat a lot of bread, and grains are good. I had a meat mezze last night and it was meh. Just meh. Not sure why. I go through phases where food just has no interest for me (maybe I shouldn’t eat during those times?)

I hear a lot about the environmental impact of meat on the world. And how going vegan could save the planet. But I genuinely want to know if making all the farming vegan includes all the sides of mountain grazed by sheep, and where the nitrates for fertilizers are going to come from other than out of cows bottoms? I’m genuinely interested in the data.

I guess I’m an omnivore because I prefer more sustainable farming practises such as those by Joel Salatin in the book ‘the Omnivore’s Dilemma’. I’m grateful to like in a country where cows eat grass pretty much as standard, and I can’t get my head around how if we all went vegan, that too wouldn’t cause irreparable damage to the world around us.

Health-wise, I’m probably going to eat mostly plants, but with a side of meat now and then.

This has become my conclusion. Just curtail the habit of every meal meat centered. What's a little hunger, not likely I'll starve.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Carb loading on Sioux Falls.
    n0ca063scwjc.jpg

Will your puppy be joining you on this one?

@PastorVincent No, unfortunately not. This race doesn't allow dogs, and the distance is too far for him. I have a 10 Mile race in KC in early December which he'll join me for.

@TheMrWobbly HR tracking an analyzing is fun stuff, but it takes a while to really understand what's going on. For any of it to be meaningful, you'll to know your true max HR and your resting HR. The typical formulas for calculating HR may or may not be right for you and are not recommended to use. There are a few different ways to find out, but I think the best way to is to run a 5K race, push hard for that final sprint then go back and see what your HR was. I then add a couple of beats to that number, assuming that it wasn't 100 my max effort.

@polskagirl01 not barfing is definitely a win! Nice job pushing through the suck on the 5K. Tough going on the HM, but you again, you were tough getting it done. That shirt is VERY cool!

@Elise4270 I would not look at an particular elite athlete and their diet to decide if that diet would work for me. For one, the mere fact that they are elite tells me that their DNA is quite a bit different than mine and what works for them has no bearing on what would work best for me. The other problem is the small sample size. Finally, for every successful vegan athlete you'll find a successful keto or HFLC meat-eating athlete. For me, as you can probably guess, I have zero interest in being a vegan. I love meat way too much. Even if the science supported a vegan diet providing for better performance I wouldn't do it. The question I have for you is, what is drawing you to becoming a vegan? What is your desired result of that diet, and what is it about veganism that would provide a more successful path to your desired result than other diets? As far as dietary cholesterol, I believe the current studies show that dietary cholesterol has very little impact on blood cholesterol.

@Scott6255 nice job pushing for the 17 miles!
    @Faebert well done!! Slipped in the mud? Was this a trail race? Good luck with surgery. Heal well. I have no doubt you'll be back to HM form and beyond.

• Elise4270
    Options
    Great points @7lenny7 . Yes I wanna be an elite looking athlete, and that is probably the biggest draw. It is unreasonable and unfounded since I’m on the couch and still fuss over a Walmart trip. So... I think I’ll put that roast on with the usually amount of veggies and be happy that I skipped McDonald’s... until tomorrow. 🍔👏🎊

I also hate looking older. I’m in class with a few close to my age, but I think I hate looking 50. Which could definitely be driving the veggie oriented changes. Also, Nursing. How many healthy nurses do you see? There is a real issue with stress, poor eating habits with long odd hours. And this area? There is a culture of terrible food to boot. What changes can I make now that keep me from adding 20-50 pound the next 20, er 15... ok... 13 years after school? (dang I’m old wise).

So, if I stick to my “do better” and keep processed food out... and get back to some exercise when able I’ll be fine? Right? My skin already looks better. But that could be I just eat more veggies and drink more hot tea cuz it’s chili here. That roast won’t kill me.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,988 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 Great Race Report so far! Cabin looked really nice. Look forward to reading the rest of the story.