November 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I'm going to put in for 170 miles this month. I had 172 in Oct. vs. a goal of 160, but was the first time in awhile that I exceeded my goal. I have the following races planned in Nov.:

11/3 - Marshall University Marathon
    11/9 - Indianapolis Monumental Marathon
    11/10 - Louisville Marathon

I have nothing planned for Thanksgiving, so if there are any marathons in a state that I've not yet run and I can make the travel work (much easier if on that Fri. or Sat.), then I'm thinking I should sign up. Does anyone know of any marathons on 11/29 or 11/30?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Do bandaid help with blisters? I went for a 5k walk today, no special socks and have a tender spot under the pad of my big toe/head of 1st Metatarsal. So given im doing a 10k run in around 14hrs, though I'll be wearing proper socks and shoes which have never given me blisters before.

I'll be fine, right?

I use hydrocolloidal bandaids over existing blisters and have never had an issue, even with unpopped or really bad open blisters. The hydrocolloidal bandaids usually but not always prevent blisters, though, if it’s on the edge of my foot where the skin rotates and shears, it keeps the surface safe but there can be a deep blister.

KT Tape or moleskin can also prevent blisters.

For a hotspot for 5k I would leave it, for 10k if it were me I would put something over it proactively.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    In for 50 miles with stretch goal of 60. I will probably run some sort of turkey trot on Thanksgiving, otherwise no immediate goals this month.

If someone can interpret the chart for me and tell me what spots are left in Memphis time I will try and cover something on Saturday. I am going to dedicate my Saturday run for @MobyCarp regardless.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Do bandaid help with blisters? I went for a 5k walk today, no special socks and have a tender spot under the pad of my big toe/head of 1st Metatarsal. So given im doing a 10k run in around 14hrs, though I'll be wearing proper socks and shoes which have never given me blisters before.

I'll be fine, right?

You’ll probably be fine. If you’re worried pop a plaster in your pocket and put it on if it seems to get worse while you’re running. If you want to, get some Sleek tape from the pharmacy and put that on - it’s like a second skin. Works well for blister-prone spots.
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options

I'll be fine, right?

You’ll probably be fine. If you’re worried pop a plaster in your pocket and put it on if it seems to get worse while you’re running. If you want to, get some Sleek tape from the pharmacy and put that on - it’s like a second skin. Works well for blister-prone spots.
    Thanks all who replied. The "hot spot" (good description) seems to have eased over the afternoon so appears to be a panic over nothing... But I'll remember that for next time.

I've packed my bag and I feel like an ultra trail runner! Because I'm doing two legs, so total of 15k but not in one go, and one leg is likely to be pre-dawn, and the other post dawn, Im planning on wearing a tank with sleeves. I've also got my gloves in my hydration pack, I've packed a whole second running outfit (shoes, pants, vest, socks) as there is every chance it will rain during my first run. I have jelly beans for sugar hits, my wallet, some regular clothing, a wind breaker and a towel

What have I missed haha!

Flipflops for letting your feet dry out and relax between legs?
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    noblsheep wrote: »

I'll be fine, right?

Thanks all who replied. The "hot spot" (good description) seems to have eased over the afternoon so appears to be a panic over nothing... But I'll remember that for next time.

I've packed my bag and I feel like an ultra trail runner! Because I'm doing two legs, so total of 15k but not in one go, and one leg is likely to be pre-dawn, and the other post dawn, Im planning on wearing a tank with sleeves. I've also got my gloves in my hydration pack, I've packed a whole second running outfit (shoes, pants, vest, socks) as there is every chance it will rain during my first run. I have jelly beans for sugar hits, my wallet, some regular clothing, a wind breaker and a towel

What have I missed haha!

Flipflops for letting your feet dry out and relax between legs?

Oh yeah thats good. And I've got body glide
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,531 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I could run tonight, and easily reach my goal, but instead we're celebrating.
    1ipitserjz4b.jpg

My son had a phenomenal game as goalkeeper and came up with some huge saves. We played last year's state champions. The game was tied 2-2 after regulation. We scored the winning goal with just 11 seconds left in the second overtime period. After that it would have been a shootout to determine the winner.

Sometimes @7lenny7 you need a 'super-like' button. Give your son a massive high 5 from me.

I am thinking of giving up my soccer (hate calling it that as a Brit) however I keep tweaking muscles and it is impacting progress on other exercises. At nearly 50 years old I am going to have to seriously think about how I get my exercise.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    I'm going to put in for 170 miles this month. I had 172 in Oct. vs. a goal of 160, but was the first time in awhile that I exceeded my goal. I have the following races planned in Nov.:

11/3 - Marshall University Marathon
    11/9 - Indianapolis Monumental Marathon
    11/10 - Louisville Marathon

I have nothing planned for Thanksgiving, so if there are any marathons in a state that I've not yet run and I can make the travel work (much easier if on that Fri. or Sat.), then I'm thinking I should sign up. Does anyone know of any marathons on 11/29 or 11/30?

I noticed these on a half marathon calendar site that I use:

Thursday, November 28
    Wattle Waddle Marathon – Snohomish, WA

Saturday, November 30
    Stennis Space Center Marathon – Mississippi
    NCR Marathon – Glencoe, MD
    Fiery Gizzard Run – Foster Falls State Park, Sequatchie, TN

Have you heard of the Mainly Marathon series? They have a lot of distances on the weekends and during the week. I thought about participating in the Appalachian series since three of those races are within easy driving distance for me. All of the races are small loops usually in parks with what sounds like a phenomenal aid station set up.

Good luck this weekend!
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow's race will be a much cooler set of temps than I have been running in

20ive4rk7cow.png

I know that many of you will be like "thats great temps!" but with my Raynauds and not having run in that since last year I am concerned about the fact that we will have to park a good 2 hours before race start and hike across city from the finish line area to the start line area, then stand around for at least an hour to hour and a half waiting for the race. Oh not to mention the walk back to the Jeep after the race when dripping wet with sweat.

The problem is dressing for that part vs dressing for the run. It is only 10 miles so I will not need a hydration vest, but I am thinking of wearing one without the bladder to stash extra clothes in. I can use gear check for something to put on after the race at least. I do not really want the extra weight but not sure what else to do.

This is why I have given up on winter races though. Getting dressed and running right out the door is one thing. Standing around begging them to fire the starting gun is a completely different thing.

Can you wear a throw-away sweatshirt or long-sleeve shirt for the pre-race and first mile? I keep a bag of old shirts that I would normally toss just for this purpose. A lot of people also visit thrift stores and find some cheap clothes. Most of the big races pick up the extras and take them to a local charity.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,189 Member
    Options
    For motivation, over on Garmin Connect i created a 'until Thanksgiving' challenge with a couple of friends, that usually helps me to not miss workouts.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @T1DCarnivoreRunner
    here's a list from running usa
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options

@T1DCarnivoreRunner Check out Runningintheusa.com

https://www.runningintheusa.com/classic/list/marathon/11-29-2019-to-12-1-2019

The Fiery Gizzard is one I REALLY want to run next year. We have family nearby and it would work well with a Thanksgiving visit.

ETA: Looks like @mbaker566 beat me to it!

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    FITBIT USERS:

Umm, resistance is futile:

Google just bought Fitbit:
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/google-buys-fitbit-news/