PALEO TOUGH MUDDERS!

Options
14567810»

Replies

• CavewomanCoby
    CavewomanCoby Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I'm about 60% paleo/primal (I know there's a difference but not educated enough yet to know what that is) and I'm slowly working my way up to 80%. Of all the books out there which would you recommend I read? I've heard great things about the Primal Blueprint but I know there are others. I've looked at a lot of website info but I'd like a book (something consolidated, etc.) for the geek in me who doesn't wait for an excuse to hit the bookstore. :smile:

I would read the Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf - it's the one that worked best for me :)
  • CavewomanCoby
    Options
    A Tough Mudder group sounds great! I am doing it Jan. 2012 in Texas and am nervous!

YAY GO YOU! I'm in March 2012 in Melbourne, Australia!
  • jstalittlecrzy
    jstalittlecrzy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    bump - interested in eating Paleo after reaching goal
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I would love to do a tough mudder, but I just don't have the endurance to do that much running. This year I'm training for a 5K and will hopefully work my way up to one. Any one have ideas for a smaller obstacle course geared for beginners near PA?

Shannon
  • cbear017
    cbear017 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'll check it out.

BTW, I just looked up Tough Mudders and this looks right up my alley. Do you guys train for this? I've done a few mud runs before and I do a trail race at least once a year (Five Peaks), will this help me?
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    A Tough Mudder group sounds great! I am doing it Jan. 2012 in Texas and am nervous!
    I seriously considered signing up for this one but opted for a sooner one - Oct 8th, Paige TX? I think. So I'm only a couple months out.

I was not concerned about the distance a couple months ago (10 miles); I was doing a lot of running + P90X. But now my workouts have shifted to heavy lifting only. And trying to build muscle requires more rest & less cardio (than I was doing). So I am getting a little nervous now about my preparation. I think I need to start getting back in to running here real quick.
  • CavewomanCoby
    Options
    Thanks! I'll check it out.

BTW, I just looked up Tough Mudders and this looks right up my alley. Do you guys train for this? I've done a few mud runs before and I do a trail race at least once a year (Five Peaks), will this help me?

Absolutely - the main requirement (according to Tough Mudder website) is endurance and being able to make it through the 20 miles or so of course. You need to have the stamina to complete it. There is a full training guide on the website - crazy stuff! I'm 6 months out and so excited!
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Hey all! I'm 90% Paleo here (I just won't give up my Greek yogurt... I just won't!) but I would love to share ideas and such.

I too will be doing the tough mudder (NorCal 2012) and am doing kind of a crazy hybrid training using the Vault powerlifting program and the WODs from sealfit.com and a couple crossfit sites. It's quickly whipping my *kitten* into shape. :)

I look forward to reading through all the old posts and catching up! :)

Cheers!
  • ResilientWoman
    ResilientWoman Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Hey, Coby, MsBanana and all the rest of you Tough Mudders:

I just started the 'October Whole 30 for Paleo/Primal Support Peeps' topic. Would love to have any/all of you wonderful people join us. Perfection will not be required. I failed horribly in September and still shed lbs, inches, improved strength and endurance *and* lowered my blood pressure.
  • gradgal01
    gradgal01 Posts: 46 Member
    Options

I'm really enjoying this diet. Even though it cuts a lot of things out, I've found it to be oddly liberating. Once I cut out all the carbs I have so many calories left to eat!

after tracking everything here on mfp, i can't imagine how much less i would have to eat if i threw processed carbs back into the mix, re: calories and especially carbs.
  • kathytexas
    Options
    Thanks! Good luck to you!
  • cjipping
    cjipping Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm very interesting in starting the paleo diet. To anyone who has done this...do you think its a good idea to start now or should i wait until after the new year knowing that i will not follow it for Christmas and new years. If I'm doing the 30 day challenge would those two days (most likely 4-5 meals) ruin my results?
  • chinadoll725
    chinadoll725 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    bump for later