Replies

• lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Hello...Checking in :D

Hoping everyone is happy & healthy <3
  • stephanne13
    stephanne13 Posts: 212 Member
    donimfp wrote: »
    Hi, everyone. We're having one of our quiet spells. Yesterday I drove to the wonderful small town of Wimberley, TX to go to an amazing specialty kitchen shop called Kiss the Cook. They have everything a cook could ever dream of, or not dream of. Banana slicer?: Seriously, how lazy would I have to be??? Anyway, they had literally dozens of different cards, napkins, dish towels, aprons with "clever" sayings celebrating overdrinking: "Why limit Happy to an Hour?" "Book? I'm just here to drink" "Wine: How classy people get kitten-faced."

These are the kinds of things my best friend and I used to give each other. And we were both heavy drinkers. Which led me to reflect that those kinds of things wouldn't really be funny to occasional drinkers. You have to be a heavy drinker to really get the joke. Which led me to conclude that there are a lot of heavy drinkers out there, lest this shop would not bother to stock so many such items. Which led me to understand that 1. We who are struggling with alcohol over-use are not alone and 2. Our society does not make it easy but celebrates over-drinking.

So we should pat ourselves on the back for even tackling this journey in such an environment. Yay us!!

I just want to say, that if you go to Amazon & type in "Banana Slicer", you will NOT be disappointed with the reviews.. good stuff! 😂
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member

I just want to say, that if you go to Amazon & type in "Banana Slicer", you will NOT be disappointed with the reviews.. good stuff! 😂

I’m laughing so hard I am crying. I love the comment that you can also slice hot dogs with this hard-to-clean space taker-upper. I guess I know what I’ll be buying my worst enemies for Christmas. Almost makes me wish I had worst enemies and enough money to buy them presents if I did.
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    @donimfp I never thought of the wine accessories with all the "clever sayings" as being tailored to heavy drinkers when I was a heavy drinker. You make an interesting & valid point that only heavy drinkers really get the humor. I also think that it is one more tool to make it all seem ok...that somehow laughing about our drinking takes away the seriousness of it. One of the things I did when I stopped drinking was give away all my wine accessories because not only did I not have a use for them, but I didn't think it was "funny" any longer.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    I would LOVE to be a part of this group if you are still accepting new folks!? Silly question, how do I join a 'CHALLENGE' group on MFP? (I never have) I too have issues with my wine...no such thing as 1 glass in my world. I try everyday to be better. Today is day 1 for me again... Thanks all! ~ Shelly

Hi There! Welcome! I had to smile about no such thing as one glass.... yes, that is the problem for me. <3 Just participate and comment when you feel like it. Looking forward to your reflections, Shelly!
  • RubyRed427
    JenT304 wrote: »
    I cannot stand those "funny" sayings and they are everywhere in all stores. "Winey Christmas!" was one I saw yesterday. What does that even mean? "thankful for wine"...another hilarious one, right? One of the most offensive I've seen was "whats a nice girl like me doing without a glass of wine?" What does that teach our daughters? Or sons?
    I have decided the only way to treat alcohol is like cigarettes. For me, there was no moderation. I am only hoping that like cigarettes, the pull eventually goes away. Have a happy, sober weekend, Everyone.

I bought a framed sign a while back for a house I'm remodeling that says "I love you to the liquor store & back". The store is at least 40 min away, so I thought it was funny at the time. Ever since I received it, it's been shoved in the back of my closet. It's the only alcohol related cutesy saying thing I've ever bought, but I was embarrassed by the time I got it. I went to a boutique mall yesterday & they had an entire room of the wine novelty items. I thought about hearing others say they don't like the glorification either. I really think that because it's wine, people don't take it as seriously as they would someone glorifying downing an entire bottle of Wild Turkey 101, or 88% proof gin..
    By the way, I am not AF free yet.. still doing moderation, but I stay on this page, & read everything for insight, tips, motivation, etc..

I remember one year getting lots of birthday cards from my friends, and most referenced alcohol or wine in them. Clearly my friends can see I have a problem.
  • RubyRed427
    edited November 2019
    So bored tonight! On the weekends, I miss going out and the fun and friendship with my drinking pals. BUT I don't miss the 8 hour hangovers, shaky feelings, racing heartbeat, insomnia, nausea, etc. What I don't miss edges out what I do miss. It's just not worth it.

So, I searched for an article about sobriety and boredom and here's what I found.
    https://www.hipsobriety.com/home/2015/11/1/what-i-do-for-sober-fun

• RubyRed427
    whitpauly wrote: »
    Good for you for fighting the boredom @RubyRed I get it,I was at my therapist appointment the other day and she asked about friends,I had to tell her that my friends dissapeared when I quit drinking, hubs' too but I'm better off without them I guess,it's hard to find new friends as an adult,when we were children we could just walk up to someone on the playground and start chatting but as adults wed look like weirdos doin that😆 hope all are well💗

Funny how long the evenings are when you abstain. And now that the sun goes down before 5:30 p.m. it is a long evening. I started watching Games of Thrones, so I will have something to watch. But I really need to start crafting. Also, I've noticed the more tea I drink, the thirstier I am.

For you tea lovers, here is a great little tool to make your tea.https://www.adagio.com/teaware/ingenuiTEA_2_teapot.html

I just place my loose tea in the container, pour hot water, wait, and then you lift the tea maker and set it on your mug and it releases the brewed tea. Make sure you have a big enough mug underneath or it will overflow. Live and learn <3
  • kcn2bluesky
    kcn2bluesky Posts: 187 Member
    edited November 2019
    Hi All <3@kcn2bluesky & @RubyRed427 I envy crafters...I keep saying I want to paint or do some other form of art, but have yet to follow through. I went as far as to take down a phone # of a place I went by a couple of weeks ago, but have yet to call. Hmmmm??? OK, you guys are my motivation...I just put it in my calendar for tomorrow to call so I'll get a reminder at 10 a.m. to call the number to sign up for an art class. I'll keep y'all posted.

That's awesome, @lorrainequiche59 ! I think you'll enjoy having a creative outlet. I hope you'll let us know the outcome of your new adventure!
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    @kcn2bluesky I love your craft space. I need to do that. I am a scrapbooker and I need to set up a table in my new apartment. I also love painting but haven't found the right place to paint because it can be a disaster if I spill on my carpet. I guess I have to just cover the floors and get on it!

Thanks! I wasn't exaggerating when I said it took me years to get around to redoing that room. There just never seemed to be time, and I never made it a priority. It has been so nice to work in an organized, fresh space. And there was definitely something liberating about giving away the supplies I would never use and the projects I would never complete. I find it so enjoyable to work on projects now because I can find everything I need. I wish I had done this years ago. I guess I mean going AF as well as remodeling my space. :blush:

I hope you are able to carve out a space for your creative pursuits!