December 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    @Camaramandy648 Are you using Android? You might need to do this with a browser... even when I load pics from android, I can't use the app. I just use Chrome.

I’m using iOS, but i guess i can upload from pc - i see so many things when i run and all my friends are non-runners so they can’t really appreciate it
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,442 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo Congrats on your 1st place AG win! Great race!

Way to go on your race too @mbaker566! So happy you got to run with Speed Demon!

@T1DCarnivoreRunner way to power through your race! That takes a lot of fortitude to finish while nursing a calf injury!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »

Way to go on your race too @mbaker566! So happy you got to run with Speed Demon!

@T1DCarnivoreRunner way to power through your race! That takes a lot of fortitude to finish while nursing a calf injury!

Thank you! It wasn't supposed to be a calf problem. It was just the achilles until around mile 18-ish today and then I had calf cramps in the other leg and limped quite a bit of the way after that.
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    @T1DCarnivoreRunner !!!!

“Until around my 17-ish”

You’re my hero!

I was running through some cramping today and then my hips were getting sore and I was thinking, “should I be doing this?! Should I keep going?!!!”

I did keep going but i can’t imagine if it had been my Achilles!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,970 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your race @mbaker566 . Sounds like it was a tough one.

@Camaramandy648 Glad you figured out what was happening so you won't continue to be discouraged and give up. Sounds like you are doing great.

Thanks for all the kudos on my race.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Garmin gave me two PR's for the race - Fastest 5K at 34:42 (Garmin had me going just a little bit further than a 5K) and fastest mile at 10:40. I'm pleased with the results.

Well done!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    Today's race was harder than I expected. We ran a mountain biking trail at a zip line park. Lots of slow and sneaky ups and downs. And then some brutal uphills. Trails were very technical. One dog broke his lead and caused a bit of havoc before the start. Speed demon was anxious but once we hit the trail, she found her stride and enjoyed it. It was slow race. I had to walk the first mile.
    l5q672tqn992.jpg
    x2zfd8ac3ecs.png

xng8zuj0ylbx.jpg
    hcqfia0a1dp1.jpg

Well done! Glad you and Speed Demon found yourselves and had a good race. :)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    HOW DO I DELETE MULTIPLE IDENTICAL POSTS?

AND WHY IS IT SAYING “you are not allowed to upload images in this category?”

This site has always been flaky and 100 times more so in the app (from what I hear, I only use web).
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    HOW DO I DELETE MULTIPLE IDENTICAL POSTS?
    You can not. Only a mod can delete a post.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Thank you! It wasn't supposed to be a calf problem. It was just the achilles until around mile 18-ish today and then I had calf cramps in the other leg and limped quite a bit of the way after that.

Were the cramp caused by favoring your achillies? Good job finishing the race!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

No, I don't think so. It may have played a role, but I think it was primarily electrolytes. I have a test scheduled next week to find out how much salt is in my sweat. I am guessing it will be a much higher amount per fluid oz. than average. I stopped at one point and observed that my calf was spasming as I stood still.

When it gets really bad, the cramps cause my calf muscles to stretch and slide underneath each other. It stretches so much that my calf diameter suddenly is halved (it appears... I haven't actually measuree during these spasming cramps) and it looks like a chunk of leg is gone. It didn't get that bad today, but very close. When that happens, it is so painful that I am usually screaming and breathing like I am caught in a vice or something.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

No, I don't think so. It may have played a role, but I think it was primarily electrolytes. I have a test scheduled next week to find out how much salt is in my sweat. I am guessing it will be a much higher amount per fluid oz. than average. I stopped at one point and observed that my calf was spasming as I stood still.

When it gets really bad, the cramps cause my calf muscles to stretch and slide underneath each other. It stretches so much that my calf diameter suddenly is halved (it appears... I haven't actually measuree during these spasming cramps) and it looks like a chunk of leg is gone. It didn't get that bad today, but very close. When that happens, it is so painful that I am usually screaming and breathing like I am caught in a vice or something.

Yuck. That does sound more like electrolytes though.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    December Goal – 100 miles

Dec 2 – 5.11 miles
    Dec 4 – 5.06 miles
    Dec 7 – 10.03 miles

After running in the rain the last 2 Saturdays, it was nice to be dry during yesterday’s run where the temp hovered right about 40F. It was still dark when we started at 6:30 am but the sun was out by the end making it a beautiful day.

Congratulations on a great 5K @durhammfp!

Way to go @quilteryoyo! So many good things about that race – prayer, the shirt, the cookie and your AG win!!!!

@T1DCarnivoreRunner – sorry you had a rough marathon, BUT you ran and finished a marathon! Something I can only manage every 2 or 3 years! Those calf cramps sound horrible.

Congratulations on your race mbaker 566 – love the doggie ornament!
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    @faebert - I’m glad to hear your surgery went well. I’m praying for your recovery. Glad you decided to stick around.

@durhammfp - Great race report! Congrats on your first race. Love your Mr Peanut comments!

• emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo Congrats on your AG win! Loved your race report.

@mbaker566 Love the pics of you and Speed Demon.

@T1DCarnivoreRunner I hope you are able to get clear answers about your cramping. I can’t imagine pushing through at those distances.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    Thanks all.

@shanaber Yes, I took some salt stick capsules and salt packets, plus they had Nuun on the course at all the aid stations, but still wasn't enough. Someone had pickle juice toward the last few miles, and that helped. But pickle juice is a fast temporary fix because of the nerve response to acetic acid and doesn't do much for the underlying electrolyte problem. I should have taken more salt earlier on, but figured it was cool and breezy, so didn't expect to sweat as much. This appt. should help me understand how much to add and get consistent.

@greenolivetree Yes, I think that is the same. In WV last month, the night before my PR, I was in the hotel having those cramps and screaming. I fortunately didn't have anyone real close to me in nearby rooms because they would have likely reported that someone was getting beat up. Anyway, once they stopped enough to stand, I went to CVS and got magnesium (I take daily, but decided to get more), some biofreeze for the muscle strain caused by the cramp, and some salty pepperoni snacks (in jerky section). Then I went to McDonald's and got a couple of beef patties and drenched them in salt. I think I had about 16 salt packets on 2 beef patties. Normally I don't eat that soon before a race, but decided that the cramps and muscle strain resulting from it was a bigger risk than runner's stomach. And like I said, I not only did the marathon the next day, but PR'ed. It was cool and breezy, which helped.