December 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    I set up a MFP group for the Run the Year 2020 challenge. If anyone wants to join a team it is located here:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10775803/2020-run-the-year-group#latest

Also the Run the Year sign up is located here

We are forming teams based on what you think you can run or walk in 2020 (we are not all signing up to run the full 2020 miles). On the Run the Year site there are all kinds of options depending on what if any swag you want included. I think the cheapest is around $10.

In 2019 we had five teams with 3-5 runners on each team and despite some not running much all teams surpassed the 2019 miles! It was lots of fun so come join us!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited December 2019
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    my family's cooking was....uninteresting.
    me and my brother are both very good at using spices and not cooking beef to well done.
    i love cooking. my mom likes baking. i just rarely have time. i wish i did. i have the runners world cookbook, book of soups. harry potter cookbook. gilmore girls cookbook which is really nice because they have easy and complicated versions of the same recipe

@mbaker566 umm did the Gilmore Girls not live on takeaways? oh and btw, did you run yet? ;-)
    they did
    which is why the one recipe is like steaming milk, melting chocolate, using vanilla beans, adding to coffee. sooki version
    and then there is coffee, whip cream, chocolate syrup version :)

nope, sleeping led to working, which leads to working the second job, which God willing leads to 2 frozen miles tonight
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    @username301 I had to look up what a jacket potato was. It sounds delicious. But yes, maybe a bit heavy before a 5k. Hope you have recovered from that scene.

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    12/01/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 0.0
    12/02/19 :::: 3.0 :::: 3.0
    12/03/19 :::: 3.1 :::: 6.1
    12/04/19 :::: 1.7 :::: 7.8
    12/05/19 :::: 2.6 :::: 10.4
    12/06/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 10.4
    12/07/19 :::: 14.6 :::: 25.0
    12/08/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 25.0
    12/09/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 25.0
    12/10/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 25.0
    12/11/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 25.0
    12/12/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 25.0
    12/13/19 :::: 3.0 :::: 28.0
    12/14/19 :::: 3.2 :::: 31.2
    12/15/19 :::: 6.4 :::: 37.6
    12/16/19 :::: 3.6 :::: 41.1
    12/17/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 41.1
    12/18/19 :::: 1.5 :::: 42.6

Back was feeling quite a bit better today but the cold symptoms are not getting better so I did go to the doctor for that. Probably a sinus infection and maybe bronchitis. Although the PA wasn't particularly impressed with the presentation of my symptoms, she did agree it should be getting better by now and started me on antibiotics and Flonase.

I did go to the gym for a little workout, easy on the back, with some stretches and some core/arms. I took a very easy jog on the treadmill for a few minutes before and after and that seemed ok. Then I sat in the sauna as long as I could stand it.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    Welcome to the newbies. This is a great group. Careful or you'll become totally addicted!

6 cold miles this evening. Sun was out when I started, so it felt great in shorts and short sleeves, no gloves. Then about halfway through, sun went down and of course my hands started going numb.
    I searched long and hard on Amazon for some windproof, winter running gloves and thought I found some. Ordered them and got them yesterday. Went for an hour long walk in about 46F, light wind. Hands were cold as ice when I got home 😒
    I know @PastorVincent recommend some heat factory gloves on Amazon (don't know the link right now), but the smallest those come is Large, and I have small hands (no jokes please).
    So was wondering if anyone knew of some non-bulky, warm, wind proof running gloves that you would recommend?
    Thanks in advance 😁

The secret to the Heat Factory gloves is two-fold:

1) They are both mittens and gloves. Mittens are warmer than gloves, so this is the best of both.
    2) The pocket for hand warmers.

I do not even use that pocket anymore. I have found it works much better to jam the hand warmer up in your glove against your palm. You can do that with any gloves and it makes a huge difference.

So when it is that cold (for you, I use gloves in the 50s F), that is what I recommend.
  • mbaker566
    Pushing my run back a day. It'll be nearly 20 degrees warmer. It seems worth it
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    @shanaber oh no, that really sucks :( All I can do is offer virtual hugs. Re: your Feb HM, I know they annoyed you but maybe go back to short Galloway intervals to reduce the stress on the knee?
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    @shanaber I am so sorry to hear this. Did you ask the doctor about one last HM? What did she say? If your new max long run distance is less than the HM, I would lean towards suggesting you do not do it.
  • mbaker566
    Also, what did the doc say with regards to WALKING? You could start training as a power-walker. Some of those power-walkers can get going at a good clip.

My first half i was passed by a power walker. And never caught up to him
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,707 Member
    No run today but our morning running group met up at 5:30 am for coffee and a gift exchange at Starbucks. I’ve got another Christmas get-together with friends after work this evening so it will be a long day.

@LoveyChar – Your little one is adorable!

@shanaber – Sorry about the knee diagnosis. Maybe a run/walk plan for the February HM?

@quilteryoyo – Great news with not needing the CPAP machine anymore! I’ve got a couple pairs of Feetures socks and love them. I didn’t know they had a lifetime warranty although I have others that do – the Darn Tough and another brand that I can’t remember now. I recall that @MobyCarp once sent some back to the manufacturer and got replacements but I’ve not tried that yet.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,956 Member
    @shanaber - Sorry you had a disappointing Ortho visit. I agree with the others...maybe discuss run/walk or doing power walking, if allowed.

@Teresa502 I hope you enjoy your get-togethers, even if it makes for a long day.
  • mbaker566
    had planned to do 2 this morning.
    slept thru 3 alarms. barely made it work on time. guess i'm running tonight
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    @shanaber So sorry to hear about your knee :( I hope you are able to run/walk the HM.

@tramboman Your Pollyanna reference cracked me up.

@quilteryoyo Great news about your CPAP!

@mbaker566 We will be anxiously awaiting a report of how your run goes tonight :-D I've been struggling to get up in the mornings also, falling back asleep and dreaming when I'm normally lying there delaying getting up but at least awake and feeling guilty about not getting up :)

@pastorvincent Hope your neck is feeling better. I jacked mine up recently and had a week of heck trying to get over it.

My plan for this evening is a treadmill/strength workout so I'll do intervals of running for cardio alternating with intervals of strength. Then tomorrow OUTSIDE running. 5k sounds like a good plan.