WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2020

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,742 Member
    Options
    Ketone Karen exactly .. Yesterday was so stressful I swear I think I could have died of a heart attack right on the spot..and it got worse throughout the day..
    I finally did go back to sleep for a few hours.. and will be bringing Alfie over to Toms in a bit.. will pick him up after funeral mass.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,986 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Squatting- It seems so strange to me that just five years ago, I was the "squat Queen". I could do it while I played with the kids, I could do it at the gym (with and without weights), I could do it and hold it for long periods.

I have always had trouble with squatting ... but in the last few years, if I squat to take a look at something in a lower shelf, within about a minute, my legs go all tingly like they are falling asleep, and if I stay there despite the pain and tinglyness, in about 2 minutes they start to go numb. And when I stand, I have to have a good hold on something solid because I black out ... not enough to fall yet, fortunately, but my vision goes black and my head tingles like when I'm going to faint. For about 30 seconds I can't move. I just have to stand there and wait for it to pass.

So, I rarely squat or if I do, I have to have a good, brief reason for doing so.

Machka in Oz
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,374 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

I just ran across an interesting article about resistant starches...https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29629761
    looks like reheated spaghetti is the best way to go if a person is going to have it. Of course, eating it cold standing in front of the fridge has always been a favorite. :)

Barbara AHMOD - picked up a Stepper at Walmart and will start on some "low and slow", lol.

Kelly - not sure if I'll ever been a champion squatter, lol. Seems like "low and slow" applies here too.

Machka - your sandals look very comfy. So glad to hear parts of Australia are getting much needed rain.

Heather - wanted to mention how much I enjoy the photos you take of your beach and your city, love the history - I would think learning about it has to be half the fun of living there. I am still enthralled seeing photos of Seattle and our county from the 1800's and 1900's... our area is still in the "infant" stage compared to cities in the UK.

Have a great weekend, ladies! <3

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,068 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,072 Member
    Options
    Part of my dumbbell workout is sitting on the couch and getting up again 30x. Kind of a beginner squat but easier on my knees. It forces my butt back behind my feet.

I have been rehabbing my right leg for five months now and it still is weak. But at least nothing is really wrong with it.

Annie in Delaware
  • Bluejay61
    Bluejay61 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I went to the gym and for a walk and picked up some groceries and I feel WIPED OUT. I felt like I was light headed or something like that at the grocery store. I don't know why. I did about 25 min on stationary with a few bursts up to maximum target and then long lazy cool down. maybe I was just hungry. I took @Machka9 's suggestion and have been poking around grocery stores looking for different options. I found some full dishes not really low cal but organic and about 300-350 cal with 22 protein and meat and veggies. I tried the first one and it tasted a bit of memories of old cafeteria or school food or TV dinners (not great) but w fresh ground pepper and dijon mustard it's not bad at all. the side of potatoes and butternut squash is good.

Yep, we definitely have to remember to eat enough and throughout the day. Nice job on your bike!
    And I agree on the dijon mustard on food. It can help almost anything! LOL
  • Bluejay61
    Bluejay61 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Thank you friends for your kind thoughts and prayers. This morning my daughter is packing and is still planning on moving here to OK and has a job interview Monday afternoon at a large CPA firm in OKC.

The pictures below remind me of why "constant" is my word for 2020. They remind me that living a healthy lifestyle is so much better than life was in 2012 when the first picture was taken. This was about a year and a half before I had bariatric surgery. Second picture was 2019.

unww8b7kvofb.jpg
    dwh1itokyatm.jpg

Love you my friends
    Janetr OkC

You are an inspiration, Janet. :smiley:
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,597 Member
    Options
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,597 Member
    Options
    not going to the gym to workout. just to shower then go to work for more $$ for the kitty
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    JanetR - how's your daughter? Was just thinking about you both.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    I have the following DVD's that I'll send you for the price of the postage (which in the US is usually less than $3)

Shape Ultimate Bikini Body
    Jillian Michael Killer Abs
    12 Minute Workouts
    Biggest Loser Power Sculpt
    Jane Fonda Firm & Burn

I do have a few others that are more intense if you are interested

Just PM me.

Michele NC
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,777 Member
    Options
    I’m behind again but will try to catch up.

Camping - I have done the tenting thing a few times but am not a fan. I grew up in a house with no running hot water, wood heat and cold mornings. To me I camped my whole childhood. I did it for my family but didn’t really enjoy it.

Katla - I like your idea of camping though. I want a solid bed under me and walls around me. I am petrified all night a bear will come when I’m in a tent.

Home - Machka it’s very funny to be “Home” is where my family is. When I am in Alberta “home” is NB, the house I grew up in is gone as is my Grandmothers but my Mom and brother are still there so home is there. When I am visiting NB though, “home” is Alberta where my husband, girls and grands are. My grandmother called her childhood house her home way into her 90’s.

I have read that a lot of people in this area are one - two paycheques away from being homeless. That is very scary. Like Kim said that is what I think of homeless.

Amber - I had a child do that toothbrush in the toilet thing. What a pain it was.

Rita - two years ago I had to abruptly end my anti depressants medication because I was unemployed and couldn’t afford it. I was petrified of sinking way down again especially since I couldn’t find work and had no money coming in for the first time in 20+ years. I tell you what helped me was I wrote a gratitude journal, every night I forced myself to think of three things to be grateful for. I also searched Pinterest and posted to Facebook a positive quote each night that would greet me in the morning. Turns out my positive quotes were helping a lot of friends too. I also prayed. Depression sucks, I hope you are seeing the light of day soon.

Rebecca - now that the silence has been broken and young son isn’t fearing the wrath of Mom for not contacting, maybe he’ll keep it up. As hard as it is as a Mother to feel your pain during that time, I could also feel for him and his worry about that first conversation. You handled it beautifully and I bet he continues no so he never has that guilt (of his own making) again. I’m so happy for you both.

Barbara - thanks for tip about the squats. I think I also need to go back to the doctor about my bouncy house injury from the wedding. I did a deep clean last weekend that took a couple of hours and my butt has been painful all week. She told me I had torn a muscle and it would take a long time to heal and due to the location there is no way of resting it, but I thought she meant two or three months. We are coming up on six.

Lisa - what a handsome picture with Corey and Levi. Has your SIL and grandson behaved with the snake?

Machka - I am not a doctor, nurse or any medical profession but you blacking out from squatting seems like a medical issue. Have you talked to your doctor about it? It sounds like a nerve or something is reacting.

Carol - sorry for you loss.

Allie - I hope you find new work soon. It’s terrible to be that stressed.

Janet - I’m sorry, your heart must be breaking. Prayers for you and your daughter.

Today is -28 it has warmed up a bit. At least we’re not in Newfoundland suffering through a blizzard.

I have to go out and do some shopping today and return some books to the library
    I would prefer to stay in.
    Tracey in Edmonton

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,891 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    I’m sorry that my comments were offensive. I’ll be more careful about what I say here. :embarassed:

I had a lovely yoga class this morning. It was well attended and productive. I have been chilly today, and I’m not sure why. The air is on the damp side but we are used to damp weather in January. :ohwell:

We are sourdough fans. We got our first starter from a friend in Eugene OR in the early 1970’s. We still have that original strain and love it. DS is no longer able to digest gluten so we started a second crock using white rice flour to establish a gluten free sourdough. It worked well enough for DH and I didn’t mind. We’ve decided to create a new version to replace white rice flour, because the white rice flour version turns to sugar in DH’s system very rapidly. He’s diabetic and sugar is something that needs careful management. The new version is just getting started in our kitchen. We bought Bob’s Redmill organic brown rice flour and are using it to start our new strain of sourdough. I am hopeful that it will improve the waffles and pancakes we make and will work better with DH’s blood sugar levels. Keeping my fingers crossed for a good outcome.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Will sourdough work with almond or coconut flours? I need to stay away from any grains and use nut flour for everything.

Thanks!
    RV Rita