Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Unwanted advice at gym

1111213141517»

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    I would say "okay, you've stated your opinion. I'm going to focus on my workout now. Goodbye." Then do not respond to anything else he says. If he actively harasses you, alert gym staff.
  • SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    Roger that.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Personally I give out unsolicited advice quite often, usually to young lads who aren’t sure
    How the perform an exercise correctly or safely, it’s how I learned back in the day.
    Most of the veteran trainers in my gym keep an eye on the newbies, nobody wants to see someone get potentially injured because they didn’t know how to use a machine correctly or are using really poor form on a compound lift. Most are very grateful for the assistance as it can be overwhelming joining a gym for the first time
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    watts6151 wrote: »
    Personally I give out unsolicited advice quite often, usually to young lads who aren’t sure
    How the perform an exercise correctly or safely, it’s how I learned back in the day.
    Most of the veteran trainers in my gym keep an eye on the newbies, nobody wants to see someone get potentially injured because they didn’t know how to use a machine correctly or are using really poor form on a compound lift. Most are very grateful for the assistance as it can be overwhelming joining a gym for the first time

I think in this particular case, OP has followed up and said man in question also regularly makes a habit of using the workstation opposite her and made some weird attempt to get her phone number too, so behaviour seems a bit beyond the normal "keeping an eye on the noobs".