What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Haggis is horrible.

Not sure if unpopular opinion, lol.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    qfw3mw4fob6u.jpeg

this sounds absolutely horrific

I never knew crusts oozing macaroni and cheese is my religion until now.
  • RelCanonical
    qfw3mw4fob6u.jpeg

this sounds absolutely horrific

I see potential, but I agree that that particular meal doesn't look appetizing. Macaroni stuffed pie? Potential.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Pasta dishes vary enormously in how rich they are, so that does not compute (but it might be unpopular!).

I like a wide variety of pasta dishes, but something like pasta topped with a variety of vegetables sauteed with some shrimp and olive oil, or even a arrabiata style sauce or, say, a meat sauce made with tomato sauce, ground beef, and a variety of veg (as I like it) wouldn't strike me as inherently all that "rich."

I do add black olives often, though, and I know those are unpopular here, based on past posts. They are so tasty on pasta, however!

I'm not much of a fan of creamy pasta sauces, with the exception of the homemade mac and cheese (which I would only eat with other foods) or -- on occasion -- carbonara, which is amazing (and not cream-based anyway, although egg, cheese, and pork likely have the same effect).

Like, I like pasta dishes. The meat sauces and flavors, etc. And I love lasagna (the filling anyway), but I find the actual PASTA to be so unnecessary?? And bland?? What's the point? I'd rather fill up on the sauce and toppings alone.

Oh, I can see that (although I don't usually agree). I just don't think of pasta on its own as especially rich. It's more a pretty plain canvas for the sauce (some sauces work as well on other options, like beans or rice or spaghetti sauce or in a green pepper or on potatoes/a baked potato or even on some chopped cauliflower (if the sauce itself doesn't have it) or some kind of winter squash besides spaghetti.

I've certainly been known to do a sauce I might use for a pasta and have it without the pasta, just as I've done a stir fry and had it without rice.

For me, however, the pasta adds enough contrast (and I also like some of the alternatives that add some fiber and protein), that I usually like having some, but that need not require a whole lot (I've always thought 2 oz was plenty and it's not unusual for me to have less than that).

So I guess my unpopular opinion is that I never thought pasta had all that many cals for a decent amount, since I don't feel like you need all that much to go with the sauce.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Pasta dishes vary enormously in how rich they are, so that does not compute (but it might be unpopular!).

I like a wide variety of pasta dishes, but something like pasta topped with a variety of vegetables sauteed with some shrimp and olive oil, or even a arrabiata style sauce or, say, a meat sauce made with tomato sauce, ground beef, and a variety of veg (as I like it) wouldn't strike me as inherently all that "rich."

I do add black olives often, though, and I know those are unpopular here, based on past posts. They are so tasty on pasta, however!

I'm not much of a fan of creamy pasta sauces, with the exception of the homemade mac and cheese (which I would only eat with other foods) or -- on occasion -- carbonara, which is amazing (and not cream-based anyway, although egg, cheese, and pork likely have the same effect).

Like, I like pasta dishes. The meat sauces and flavors, etc. And I love lasagna (the filling anyway), but I find the actual PASTA to be so unnecessary?? And bland?? What's the point? I'd rather fill up on the sauce and toppings alone.

Oh, I can see that (although I don't usually agree). I just don't think of pasta on its own as especially rich. It's more a pretty plain canvas for the sauce (some sauces work as well on other options, like beans or rice or spaghetti sauce or in a green pepper or on potatoes/a baked potato or even on some chopped cauliflower (if the sauce itself doesn't have it) or some kind of winter squash besides spaghetti.

I've certainly been known to do a sauce I might use for a pasta and have it without the pasta, just as I've done a stir fry and had it without rice.

For me, however, the pasta adds enough contrast (and I also like some of the alternatives that add some fiber and protein), that I usually like having some, but that need not require a whole lot (I've always thought 2 oz was plenty and it's not unusual for me to have less than that).

So I guess my unpopular opinion is that I never thought pasta had all that many cals for a decent amount, since I don't feel like you need all that much to go with the sauce.

I DO like tri-colored pasta on occasion because it has more complexity! It was a favorite growing up with some grated parmesan (preferably cold)
  • RelCanonical

I DO like tri-colored pasta on occasion because it has more complexity! It was a favorite growing up with some grated parmesan (preferably cold)

Does each color have a different taste? I've never actually had tri-colored pasta.
  • pancakerunner

Does each color have a different taste? I've never actually had tri-colored pasta.

vaguely, depending on brand... green = spinach, red = sun dried tomato
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member

More in theory than in reality, IMO.

Anecdote from childhood: I once gave my cousin a glass of water with red food coloring in it, and asked him what flavor it was. He said "Cherry . . . or maybe raspberry." He was pretty mad when I told him . . . .
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    I totally agree on the boring bland pasta. I much prefer to load up with TONS of sauce, meat, and lots of veggies with minimal pasta. I never understood why some people just "love" pasta. A lot of my friends like just plain pasta with butter, yuck. The best part is the toppings.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited February 2020
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Also, Chinese takeout is grossly overpriced.

This might be a regional issue. I never found Chinese takeout overpriced in suburban MA, upstate NY, or South Florida.

Not in Chicago either.
    x9vfi4r7qvvb.jpg

idk but $9.99 for this seems pricey

Yeah, that looks like a 5.99 dish in my town. I’m in a small town though.

The small Chinese places around me are VERY generous! They give HUGE portions for amazing prices.

My favorite thing is the steamed chicken and veggies. For 9.99, they give you a whole plate like this plus a massive bowl of rice and giant cups of sauce. qoa2ajsp1yw4.png
    4tsoezg67wqb.png

pc2mu2l46wwn.png
  • lemurcat2
    edited February 2020
    I totally agree on the boring bland pasta. I much prefer to load up with TONS of sauce, meat, and lots of veggies with minimal pasta. I never understood why some people just "love" pasta. A lot of my friends like just plain pasta with butter, yuck. The best part is the toppings.

Agree with this. I always preferred much more sauce and less pasta. I do like pasta as part of a meal, quite a bit, but always found it odd that people would talk about pasta as if it was a food one would eat on its own.

(We did occasionally have egg noodles as a side instead of potatoes, which seems a little weird, I guess, and noodles with butter was an "I'm sick and can't eat anything else" occasional thing, much like I seem to like plain rice or oats now when sick -- when bland seems good.)
  • mullanphylane
    mullanphylane Posts: 172 Member
    Mom-style PBJ's. Peanut butter spread so thin you can see the bread beneath it. On the other slice the jelly/jam is spread just as thin. Might as well just have an air sandwich. 🤢
  • lemurcat2
    I suppose this is a good time to say that I hate peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, think most foods taste better not in sandwich form anyway, and have never seen a point to jelly or jam at all -- anything I might use it on is better without or with some other spread.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member

Bite your tongue! Butter IS a topping! I'd have pasta and butter, or homemade bread and butter, all the time, except I can eat it all day long and never feel full.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    I have a roast chicken in the oven and am going to have to make some sort of pasta with a rich sauce for the leftovers...
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Bite your tongue! Butter IS a topping! I'd have pasta and butter, or homemade bread and butter, all the time, except I can eat it all day long and never feel full.

Totally agree that butter is a topping for pasta. And here I'll give a nugget that I think I've shared before: growing up in Brooklyn, we were served spaghetti by our mother, and her preferred topping was .... ketchup. In fact, I was in my teens before I ever tasted pasta with tomato sauce (pizza was a late experience for me, too, and it took a very long time for me to develop a taste for it). When I confessed this to an Italian friend, he nodded sagely and said: "Yep, Jewish pasta."

I confess further that I liked spaghetti with ketchup even more the next day.

With sincere apologies, but truth is truth....
  • RelCanonical
    Pasta by itself is tasty if the water is salted!

• pancakerunner

meh... I salt my water plenty when making pasta. Still doesn't do anything for me
  • RelCanonical
    edited February 2020

meh... I salt my water plenty when making pasta. Still doesn't do anything for me

It was like an epiphany for me, lol. My favorite way to have pasta is buttered with grated parmesan - yes, the kraft kind. Loved it as a child, still love it.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,351 Member
    I don't know if I'd eat pasta with just butter, but I will DEFINITELY eat rice with just butter. Yummm.