What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    I don't know if I'd eat pasta with just butter, but I will DEFINITELY eat rice with just butter. Yummm.

So a little confession: growing up I LOVED brown rice with butter and honey. Is that weird??
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,351 Member
    I don't know if I'd eat pasta with just butter, but I will DEFINITELY eat rice with just butter. Yummm.

So a little confession: growing up I LOVED brown rice with butter and honey. Is that weird??

I think it sounds good.

Of course, I sometimes eat peanut butter and pickle sandwiches so... :neutral:
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,721 Member

Needs nutmeg. I'd maybe try it with the raisins that are mentioned, too.

I'm not a huge sweets or pasta lover (they're OK, nice sometimes, not The Meaning Of Life). But I'd try it. Conceptually, not crazy different from sweet noodle kugel (but quite different in the details, of course).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    edited February 2020
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I'm not a huge sweets or pasta lover (they're OK, nice sometimes, not The Meaning Of Life). But I'd try it. Conceptually, not crazy different from sweet noodle kugel (but quite different in the details, of course).

Ya, I'd try is with a dash of nutmeg and raisins as well. Or apricots. And nuts, like those 0 calorie pecans in the MFP database :lol:
  • beulah81
    beulah81 Posts: 168 Member
    edited February 2020
    Pasta/rice with butter+ a splash of soy sauce+optional toasted sesame seeds/gomasio=tasty... to me
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,482 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I totally agree on the boring bland pasta. I much prefer to load up with TONS of sauce, meat, and lots of veggies with minimal pasta. I never understood why some people just "love" pasta. A lot of my friends like just plain pasta with butter, yuck. The best part is the toppings.

Bite your tongue! Butter IS a topping! I'd have pasta and butter, or homemade bread and butter, all the time, except I can eat it all day long and never feel full.

I actually am not big on pasta alone as an adult but didn't eat tomatoes until older. Butter was my topping, especially with that green container of parmesan cheese! My absolute favorite pasta was Spaghetti Factory brown butter and mazithra cheese, I would choose it for my birthday every year.
  • tvm1970
    tvm1970 Posts: 161 Member
    Avocado tastes like I imagine camel snot would.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    All this hating on pasta...

There's a restaurant near my house that makes their pasta fresh every day. It is SO different from dried boxed pasta. The texture and flavor are amazing.

Yes, yes, you Martha Stewart wannabes...I know I could make it myself. Ain't nobody got time for that.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    All this hating on pasta...

There's a restaurant near my house that makes their pasta fresh every day. It is SO different from dried boxed pasta. The texture and flavor are amazing.

Yes, yes, you Martha Stewart wannabes...I know I could make it myself. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Making pasta is like weight loss...simple, but not easy. I remember my dad making it and it was always a project.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    Pasta by itself is tasty if the water is salted!

meh... I salt my water plenty when making pasta. Still doesn't do anything for me

It was like an epiphany for me, lol. My favorite way to have pasta is buttered with grated parmesan - yes, the kraft kind. Loved it as a child, still love it.

YES...YES...YES...!

But not with salting the water. :)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    I totally agree on the boring bland pasta. I much prefer to load up with TONS of sauce, meat, and lots of veggies with minimal pasta. I never understood why some people just "love" pasta. A lot of my friends like just plain pasta with butter, yuck. The best part is the toppings.

Bite your tongue! Butter IS a topping! I'd have pasta and butter, or homemade bread and butter, all the time, except I can eat it all day long and never feel full.

I actually am not big on pasta alone as an adult but didn't eat tomatoes until older. Butter was my topping, especially with that green container of parmesan cheese! My absolute favorite pasta was Spaghetti Factory brown butter and mazithra cheese, I would choose it for my birthday every year.

I will admit that sage and brown butter sauce is a legitimate topping for squash-filled ravioli, even if I mostly think of a good pasta sauce as including something besides butter.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Breakfast is not necessary.
    Milk is disgusting.
    Mayo is foul.
    Cottage cheese is fouler.
    Sour cream is...okay, so I hate most creamy white foods.
    Nutritional yeast...just no.
    I know there are more, but can’t think right now.
  • Ninkasi
    Ninkasi Posts: 173 Member
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    Beer is disgusting. I have tried craft ones, “good ones”, all kinds. All are gross to me. The maltiness is what is bad.

I feel about wine the way you do about beer. To me wine is by definition gross.
  • pancakerunner
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Ya, I'd try is with a dash of nutmeg and raisins as well. Or apricots. And nuts, like those 0 calorie pecans in the MFP database :lol:

Would try with a penne, some chopped dates/figs/raisins and nutmeg... maybe some pistachios or walnuts tossed in
  • marathon_44
    marathon_44 Posts: 62 Member
    Watermelon is the only fruit they serve on the buffet in my own personal wing of hell.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    I don't bother with food that I have to work for....

-Any nuts still in their shells
    -Crab legs
    -Pomegranates
    -Whole lobster
    -Artichokes

Exception is mussels in the shell....just beacause.
  • pancakerunner
    I don't like potato chips or popcorn.