What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    edited February 2020
    Ninkasi wrote: »
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    Beer is disgusting. I have tried craft ones, “good ones”, all kinds. All are gross to me. The maltiness is what is bad.

I feel about wine the way you do about beer. To me wine is by definition gross.

Yep! Rotten grapes. Who wants drink something that tastes like rotten grapes?
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Not sure how unpopular this is but I can't stand fruit flavored frozen things (Popsicles, sorbet, etc.) with the exception of fruit flavored ice cream
  • BuddhaBunnyFTW
    BuddhaBunnyFTW Posts: 157 Member
    I don’t like meat or dairy
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Ninkasi wrote: »
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    Beer is disgusting. I have tried craft ones, “good ones”, all kinds. All are gross to me. The maltiness is what is bad.

I feel about wine the way you do about beer. To me wine is by definition gross.

Yep! Rotten grapes. Who wants drink something that tastes like rotten grapes?

Noooo wine is life. But I would hang out with both of you since more wine for me :)
  • pancakerunner
    I don't understand the whole Dunkaroo hype at all. I would rather have a tub of frosting with pretzels or graham crackers...
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    I don't understand the whole Dunkaroo hype at all. I would rather have a tub of frosting with pretzels or graham crackers...

...oh now I want pb buttercream icing on graham crackers.... (I don't 'get' those Dunkaroo's either...)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I totally agree on the boring bland pasta. I much prefer to load up with TONS of sauce, meat, and lots of veggies with minimal pasta. I never understood why some people just "love" pasta. A lot of my friends like just plain pasta with butter, yuck. The best part is the toppings.

Bite your tongue! Butter IS a topping! I'd have pasta and butter, or homemade bread and butter, all the time, except I can eat it all day long and never feel full.

I actually am not big on pasta alone as an adult but didn't eat tomatoes until older. Butter was my topping, especially with that green container of parmesan cheese! My absolute favorite pasta was Spaghetti Factory brown butter and mazithra cheese, I would choose it for my birthday every year.

I will admit that sage and brown butter sauce is a legitimate topping for squash-filled ravioli, even if I mostly think of a good pasta sauce as including something besides butter.

I once made potato gnocchi from scratch and served it with sage and brown butter sauce - it was a project, but oh so good!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    I have a roast chicken in the oven and am going to have to make some sort of pasta with a rich sauce for the leftovers...

I made the Chicken Tetrazinni recipe from the Joy of Cooking, nom nom nom.

nom-nom-nom.jpg
  • Buttermello
    Buttermello Posts: 127 Member
    Pizza is vile.

Also, ice cream should NEVER have anything crunchy mixed in.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited February 2020

I don't know what a Dunkaroo* is, but both graham crackers and pretzels are incredibly overrated, and I wouldn't miss either if they disappeared. Pretzels are only worthwhile as a vehicle for salt and popcorn exists (and is better) for that. (You and others dissing popcorn are wrong.)

*My first thought was "isn't that some kind of underwear" and then I realized I was thinking of underoos. This may date me, I'm not sure.
  • lemurcat2
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    I totally agree on the boring bland pasta. I much prefer to load up with TONS of sauce, meat, and lots of veggies with minimal pasta. I never understood why some people just "love" pasta. A lot of my friends like just plain pasta with butter, yuck. The best part is the toppings.

Bite your tongue! Butter IS a topping! I'd have pasta and butter, or homemade bread and butter, all the time, except I can eat it all day long and never feel full.

I actually am not big on pasta alone as an adult but didn't eat tomatoes until older. Butter was my topping, especially with that green container of parmesan cheese! My absolute favorite pasta was Spaghetti Factory brown butter and mazithra cheese, I would choose it for my birthday every year.

I will admit that sage and brown butter sauce is a legitimate topping for squash-filled ravioli, even if I mostly think of a good pasta sauce as including something besides butter.

I once made potato gnocchi from scratch and served it with sage and brown butter sauce - it was a project, but oh so good!

I'd eat.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member

I don't know what a Dunkaroo* is, but both graham crackers and pretzels are incredibly overrated, and I wouldn't miss either if they disappeared. Pretzels are only worthwhile as a vehicle for salt and popcorn exists (and is better) for that. (You and others dissing popcorn are wrong.)

*My first thought was "isn't that some kind of underwear" and then I realized I was thinking of underoos. This may date me, I'm not sure.

I think the only reason why I know what a 'Dunkaroo' is, is because I see every other kid in my grade one classroom have one in their lunch! (what happened to real food...). I've never actually had them, but I can just tell I would not enjoy them in the least....but, graham crackers...disappearing?? No more smores? no more pb/banana graham cracker 'sandwiches'...actually, they are just perfect plain...
  • karenscfld
    karenscfld Posts: 38 Member
    Vegan is crazy.
  • Kashmir_314
    Kashmir_314 Posts: 5 Member
    Don't like seafood
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    karenscfld wrote: »
    Vegan is crazy.

I don't feel this way myself but I often wonder why so many people go vegan rather than vegetarian, pescetarian, etc. I mean of course some have their reasons for it...but I think for others, it's just the trendy thing and then they find it too difficult and quickly give up.

JMHO!

One of my unpopular opinions is that a lot of BBQ meats are better with no sauce.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    edited February 2020
    Vegan is crazy.

I don't feel this way myself but I often wonder why so many people go vegan rather than vegetarian, pescetarian, etc. I mean of course some have their reasons for it...but I think for others, it's just the trendy thing and then they find it too difficult and quickly give up.

JMHO!

One of my unpopular opinions is that a lot of BBQ meats are better with no sauce.

Generally, because they want to keep their harm and exploitation of animals to an absolute minimum, perhaps believing that animals are feeling, sensing creatures like ourselves?

I'm not a vegan, I'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian (eat eggs and dairy, not meat/fish). By the strictest definition, vegans are distinct from fully plant-based eaters. Vegans don't wear animal products (leather, wool) or use other products that they feel increase harm to animals, on top of eating fully plant-based.

By choosing to be an ovo-lacto vegetarian - which I have no intention of changing, been one for 45 years - I am to some extent responsible for treatment of dairy cows on factory farms, of chickens at chicken farms, the fear and pain they may feel when they're slaughtered at the end of their useful careers, and all the ancillary practices involved. I'm also responsible for environmental and economic downsides of my choices.

I don't think that other people need to choose to do what I do, and I don't think ill of people who choose differently. I do think that thoughtful people try to be aware of the implications of their personal choices, and accept their share of responsibility for them, positive or negative.

Do some people declare themselves vegan because it's trendy? Sure, it can be no different from any other trendy way of eating (keto, IF, paleo, whatever), when people go into any of those without really understanding what they involve or having substantial personal reasons for doing them. Some people adopt non-mainstream ways of eating for good, well-thought out reasons. For vegans, those reasons are ethical.

I like my BBQ sandwich made with jackfruit, personally, and sauce (but not tooooo sweet). :)
  • lemurcat2

I was going to say that I do prefer Memphis dry style to other forms of BBQ, but upon further reflection I really think all have their place (although bad BBQ sauce is bad).

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/styles-of-barbecue-in-america-regional-bbq-meats-sauces-preparations-thrillist-nation

When we were in Memphis the BBQ seemed to be served with pickles too, which I am in favor of.
  • lemurcat2
    edited February 2020
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Vegan is crazy.

JMHO!

Generally, because they want to keep their harm and exploitation of animals to an absolute minimum, perhaps believing that animals are feeling, sensing creatures like ourselves?

IME (not that I am an expert, but I do live in a larger city, so likely a place with a higher than average percentage of vegans than the US as a whole, dunno), pretty much all the vegans I know were vegetarians before that, and usually became vegan after becoming more personally bothered by the egg/dairy industries (and some of them are fine with backyard eggs if available -- one of my vegan friends seriously considered having backyard chickens not that long before she became vegan, so I don't think she's strictly "no animal use at all" (in the any use = exploitation camp), so I do think there's a range of opinion. That friend became bothered by aspects of the dairy industry years after first becoming vegetarian, and I think largely figured the vegan position was a clearer one that she felt good about.
  • pancakerunner

I was going to say that I do prefer Memphis dry style to other forms of BBQ, but upon further reflection I really think all have their place (although bad BBQ sauce is bad).

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/styles-of-barbecue-in-america-regional-bbq-meats-sauces-preparations-thrillist-nation

When we were in Memphis the BBQ seemed to be served with pickles too, which I am in favor of.

I guess I'm more partial to the central Texas Q myself... yummm