Volume Eaters Thread

194959799100107

Replies

  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 12,070 Member
    moogie_fit wrote: »
    Bump: recently I've been eating whole cooked cabbages baked in my oven for liek 2 hours and also been loving the radish baked life and using tomato juice rather than a sauce to cook veggies in

    I've been doing the same - I bought a huge Napa Cabbage the other day (cost $2); cut the whole thing up along with a yellow onion and roasted it with a little spray of coconut oil and some seasoning...yummy stuff!

    Also, I've been crushing on red cabbage too for the last few weeks...

    My love for roasted/steamed cauliflower never seems to wane...mind you I'm like that with most all my favorite veggies (daikon/mushrooms/broccoli/kale/swiss chard/mustard chard/spinach....I could go on and on...)
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,722 Member
    edited February 2020
    I was just coming here to ask questions about volume eaters but I'll browse through all the pages first. :) It interests me because I've always been a binge-er and wonder if this type of eating would fulfill the need to binge a little better instead? I love different veggies although can easily get green-salad overload, digestive-related and taste-related. But I love me some roasted veggies, especially during the winter. I've been doing a lot of carrots/brussel sprouts/sweet potatoes/onion roasted veggies but some of those are a bit heavier on sugar/carbs than other veggies so would like to switch, Any suggestions? Thanks!!
    ETA: And maybe a little more info about protein fluff? :)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,894 Member
    edited February 2020
    I don't really think of sweet potatoes as a veg, but as a starchy side like potatoes (of course both of those are veg, just starchy ones, but they fulfill a different part of the meal for me). That doesn't mean I wouldn't include them in a mix of roasted veg (I do all the time), but if I used potatoes or sweet potatoes it would be in lieu of some other starchy carb at the meal (unless I was using beans/lentils as my protein, of course), and so there would be no reason for me to bother with the fact potatoes and sweet potatoes have more cals than non starchy veg.

    I personally would not concern myself with the carbs (or sugar! but then I eat lots of fruit) in carrots or brussels unless on a super low carb diet, and brussels in particular I adore this time of year and consider very healthful. (One reason I decided keto was unsustainable for me is that I'd go over based on only non starchy veg and having to worry about the amount and type of non starchy veg I consumed seemed ridiculous to me.) That said, for an alternative, they are related to cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower. A carrot alternative might be parsnips, but I'm not sure how they compare cal-wise, since both are low enough that I've never focused on it beyond logging them.

    One veg that comes to mind that doesn't have many carbs (other than plenty of greens that cook well) are zucchini, which always seems easily available this time of year, but I tend to sautee it (often with mushrooms) rather than roasting.

    I love radishes raw, but they are also good roasted and low cal (never checked the carbs, but low cals mean low carbs). Root veg discussed here or in the produce thread recently include turnips, rutabaga, and celeriac, as well as kohlrabi.

    Jicama is sweet like a carrot. I usually eat it cold and uncooked as part of a salad, though.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,894 Member
    I have about half a Napa cabbage in the refrigerator (used the rest already) and you all are inspiring me to make it more of the feature of a meal rather than using it as part of various sides. I do love cabbage.
  • moogie_fit
    moogie_fit Posts: 279 Member
    mytyglotz wrote: »
    moogie_fit wrote: »
    Bump: recently I've been eating whole cooked cabbages baked in my oven for liek 2 hours and also been loving the radish baked life and using tomato juice rather than a sauce to cook veggies in

    Thank you for sharing (and "bump"ing!! It's been a bit quiet around here lately. (: )
    Can I ask you a bit of a personal question - by first emphasizing that I do NOT expect you to answer it, or respond at all!! I don't want to overstep my boundaries?:

    My question for you is regarding your cabbage consumption (or really any volume vegetable consumption):
    ....Do you feel "bloated" or overly full when you eat large portions of vegetables?
    Does it vary depending on its state (cooked versus raw)?

    Thank you, again. And that gratitude remains whether you answer those pesky questions or not!! (:

    Yes and no. I think I'm used to it. I definitely get more gas in the morning if I eat a lot of veg. But I do the trade off and think it's worth jt
  • vampirequeen1959
    vampirequeen1959 Posts: 196 Member
    I'd never heard the term 'volume eater' until I read the OP. What a brilliant description of how I eat. I like to feel full (not overfull) and have found the way to that is lots of fruit and veg. If I feel full it's easier to fight cravings and I rarely feel like snacking.
  • chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 388 Member
    alexmose wrote: »
    sw11912it12i.jpeg
    350g spaghetti squash
    Turkey chili
    Prego sauce
    Eggplant
    Garlic powder
    530 cals, 34g protein.

    That looks great! Spaghetti squash is very low calorie yet very filling. I love it.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,352 Member
    alexmose wrote: »
    sw11912it12i.jpeg
    350g spaghetti squash
    Turkey chili
    Prego sauce
    Eggplant
    Garlic powder
    530 cals, 34g protein.

    YUM! This looks DELICIOUS!!! I was just craving spaghetti squash and chili today too. (Actually had a dream I bought one, LOL). I like to top mine with tomato sauce, pan crisped zucchini and tons of powdered onion, garlic, italian seasoning, nosalt salt, and a bit of stevia. Love spaghetti squash. Definitely buying one tomorrow.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 793 Member
    alexmose wrote: »
    sw11912it12i.jpeg
    350g spaghetti squash
    Turkey chili
    Prego sauce
    Eggplant
    Garlic powder
    530 cals, 34g protein.

    YUM! This looks DELICIOUS!!! I was just craving spaghetti squash and chili today too. (Actually had a dream I bought one, LOL). I like to top mine with tomato sauce, pan crisped zucchini and tons of powdered onion, garlic, italian seasoning, nosalt salt, and a bit of stevia. Love spaghetti squash. Definitely buying one tomorrow.

    Sounds delish!!!
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 5,366 Member
    moogie_fit wrote: »
    mytyglotz wrote: »
    moogie_fit wrote: »
    Bump: recently I've been eating whole cooked cabbages baked in my oven for liek 2 hours and also been loving the radish baked life and using tomato juice rather than a sauce to cook veggies in

    Thank you for sharing (and "bump"ing!! It's been a bit quiet around here lately. (: )
    Can I ask you a bit of a personal question - by first emphasizing that I do NOT expect you to answer it, or respond at all!! I don't want to overstep my boundaries?:

    My question for you is regarding your cabbage consumption (or really any volume vegetable consumption):
    ....Do you feel "bloated" or overly full when you eat large portions of vegetables?
    Does it vary depending on its state (cooked versus raw)?

    Thank you, again. And that gratitude remains whether you answer those pesky questions or not!! (:

    Yes and no. I think I'm used to it. I definitely get more gas in the morning if I eat a lot of veg. But I do the trade off and think it's worth jt

    Glad you asked this, I've been bloated for a year and was trying to figure out if it was a food sensitivity, I've tried digestive enzymes, probiotics, apple cider vinegar, and Beano! I'm doing a partial elimination diet and haven't had beans for a week which helps a little bit but I suspect it's my huge lunch salad plus dinner vegetables. I took two Beano before my brussel sprouts last night and it helped some, that's the worst for me but I love them! I genuinely like how I eat so I've been scared to do a full FODMAP diet as I wouldn't have much left to eat.
  • gremloBBPT
    gremloBBPT Posts: 48 Member
    edited February 2020
    @Katmary71 I had that problem a few years back. It was awful because, like you, I'm a major veg lover. I'm not advising this, but I'll say what finally helped me was I stopped eating veg, some legumes, and some fruit for about two months. I only kept a few "veggies" that had never bothered me at all--cucumbers, tomatoes...I think that was it lol. I also ate quite a bit of parsley bc that didn't bother me. During that time, I took a high quality probiotic. Sorry, I can't remember which one, just that it was expensive and needed to be refrigerated. After a couple of months, I went back to eating small servings of most veg and over time tested how large a serving I could go before it bothered me. For the most part, I eventually got to being almost as good as new. I still can't gorge on lentils and a cpl other foods, which is a shame bc I love them, but the difference is night and day. I'm 95% better. I hope you find what works for you too! :)
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 5,366 Member
    @gremloBBPT Thank you for telling me your experience. I"m so glad you found a way to eat that works for you. Aside of following the FODMAP diet I wouldn't know what to cut and what to keep! It sounds like you did things in a smart manner. I hope if I give the elimination diet a chance I'll have the same success as so far I'm kind of trying different things without much relief. I'll spend the money I spend on produce on a better probiotic!
  • gremloBBPT
    gremloBBPT Posts: 48 Member
    Thanks, Katmary, I'm very glad it worked too! :smiley: I've always eaten relatively large servings of vegetables, so it really messed up my way of eating when I was having those problems. I think the FODMAP diet can be a great way to start. I got rid of all veg and anything else I noticed had bothered me just bc I was so sick of the situation. I wanted to give my digestive system a break while the probiotic did its thing. I'd been taking different probiotics for a cpl years by that point, but they didn't help--don't know for sure if the better quality helped or if it was taking that in tandem with the diet. Good luck!
  • beulah81
    beulah81 Posts: 168 Member
    gremloBBPT wrote: »
    Thanks, Katmary, I'm very glad it worked too! :smiley: I've always eaten relatively large servings of vegetables, so it really messed up my way of eating when I was having those problems. I think the FODMAP diet can be a great way to start. I got rid of all veg and anything else I noticed had bothered me just bc I was so sick of the situation. I wanted to give my digestive system a break while the probiotic did its thing. I'd been taking different probiotics for a cpl years by that point, but they didn't help--don't know for sure if the better quality helped or if it was taking that in tandem with the diet. Good luck!

    @gremloBBPT What fruit/s with your experience caused most bloating/flatulence?
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,278 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I also prefer large volumes of food, but I don't really eat fruits or veggies, so it is something I struggle with. Following along for, hopefully, some good ideas.

    My best addition to this thread, though it's not "real food" is probably going to be protein fluff. Basically, 1 scoop of casein, 10ish oz of a liquid, and a little xanthan gum, then whip the hell out of it... ends up having the consistency very similar to mousse or whipped cream.


    AWesome! I am going to try it with plant protein.I use Glucomannan to make my protein super thick and make it warm, hot with cinnamon on top. I am having that right now :)
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I also prefer large volumes of food, but I don't really eat fruits or veggies, so it is something I struggle with. Following along for, hopefully, some good ideas.

    My best addition to this thread, though it's not "real food" is probably going to be protein fluff. Basically, 1 scoop of casein, 10ish oz of a liquid, and a little xanthan gum, then whip the hell out of it... ends up having the consistency very similar to mousse or whipped cream.


    AWesome! I am going to try it with plant protein.I use Glucomannan to make my protein super thick and make it warm, hot with cinnamon on top. I am having that right now :)

    I am not sure plant protein works for fluff... I think casein is required (doesn't have to be 100%, protein powders that have a mix of it and whey also work - like Quest).
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 666 Member
    alexmose wrote: »
    sw11912it12i.jpeg
    350g spaghetti squash
    Turkey chili
    Prego sauce
    Eggplant
    Garlic powder
    530 cals, 34g protein.

    That looks great! Spaghetti squash is very low calorie yet very filling. I love it.

    Enjoy spaghetti squash.... I'll do half pasta half spaghetti squash
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,894 Member
    edited February 2020
    alexmose wrote: »
    sw11912it12i.jpeg
    350g spaghetti squash
    Turkey chili
    Prego sauce
    Eggplant
    Garlic powder
    530 cals, 34g protein.

    That looks great! Spaghetti squash is very low calorie yet very filling. I love it.

    Enjoy spaghetti squash.... I'll do half pasta half spaghetti squash

    I love spaghetti squash and pasta, but have never tried mixing them, since I don't use spaghetti squash as a replacement for pasta -- different sauces suit them in my mind.

    Not saying this won't work, though -- just a thought since I'm planning to try a new spaghetti squash recipe tonight so have been thinking about it! (In my mind spaghetti squash works well with chili and pasta doesn't so much.)
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,979 Member
    Oh yeah, love spaghetti squash with chili or just with some butter, olive oil and grated parm cheese