WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2020

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    edited February 2020
    Saturday ... Riding, Rowing and Running.

Zwift Cycling
    Distance: 14.34km
    Elevation: 248m 
    Moving Time: 50:15
    Elapsed Time: 50:15 
    ............... Avg .......... Max
    Speed:     17.1km/h |    80.6km/h
    Heart Rate:     122bpm |    144bpm
    Cadence:     76 |    104
    Power:     90W  |   173W
    Calories    259

Plus Rowing 16 minutes ... I'm trying to work on power.

Plus Running 12 minutes.

Machka in Oz
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Karen in VA ~ Your granddaughter has a very serious look as she waits her turn to swim. I know you must be so proud of her! I am glad you have been able to move on and celebrate her birthday without sadness for you sister.

Michele ~ I agree with Karen and Machka about the leftover seafood dish. I never keep any fish dish more than one day after it has been cooked. Glad you found food you enjoyed at the pot luck. I bet there are other folks who would love to play other games than cards so you should suggest it.

Katla ~ I have been very honest with my doctor about my love of wine. I know she would love for me to stop drinking it. I love the image of your wedding on the cliff overlooking the sea and the cat on a leash.

Rori ~ So sorry about your foot aching. I have had trouble with my achilles heel during the last week and now my foot is bothering me. I wonder if the limping from the heel pain has now moved to the rest of my foot. Fingers crossed that you will be able to get day time care for your husband.

Barbie ~ Your Valentine's Day of line dancing sounds like so much fun.

Carol in GA
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,285 Member
    Happy Saturday ladies! We are over halfway through this leap year month! <3

Rebecca - sounds like you are doing great with your IF. B) Thank you for sharing the photo of your Valentine girl! I love it that you are constantly supplied with photos of that little sweetie, she has very thoughtful parents! <3

Karen in VA - ya, this diverticulosis stuff. Do you think it might be hereditary? My dad had surgery, and eventually the scar tissue from THAT closed off his colon so he had another surgery to get things moving again. Shudder. My brother has had diverticulitis and thinks stress is a contributor. My dad was very Type A, and my brother as well. Me too I guess. B)

Thanks for keeping us up to date on your little swimmer! Neat how she gets into her "zone".

Sue - so happy your new water heater is in place. I agree with Barbie, that's a wonderful Valentine! Is your accessory dwelling unit now occupied?

Heather - I just brought up the N. Atlantic on Windy.com - I had no idea your area had storms like that. Is this normal? A decade or so ago, I think the Pacific NW had similar storms constantly hitting us, coming down from the Gulf of Alaska. We might get our share here before long. :o It's still winter!

Computers - Guess who got a Windows update this week even though Microsoft theoretically stopped supporting Windows 9 last month? So far so good, this old gal is still chugging along. And I'm still backing up every week.

OK ladies, dog is telling me to close. Make it a super day! <3

Lanette
    SW WA State

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,310 Member
    No exercise today. Went to Target to see about some candy, but they don’t open until 8, which is too late. So I went to WM. Figure I could get it and if I get to Target and get Dove, then I can take the WM candy back.

Katla – happy early anniversary. Sound like you had a heavenly wedding.

Carol – I don’t know how many times I’ve dropped the hint that I have my Mexican train set down here and my rummikub game down here. No one seems interested. They said last year that they were which is why I brought it down. The next time I’m going to do is ask one neighbor if she’d play with me after the next pot luck. I’m assuming they’ll be playing cards again, maybe if they see it they’ll play. On the note about the rest of the salad, I’m very fortunate that it didn’t sit out very long but was refrigerated. Then we brought it right upstairs to refrigerate. I didn’t cook the seafood, it was already cooked. Maybe I’ll think on this again. There’s always the garbage can!

Oh, speaking of the garbage can, when I took the used cat litter down to the dumpster this morning, looks like they picked up the recyclables. But out of 4 cans, one of them is almost already full!

Found out that they’re going to have a condo assoc meeting the day before we’re planning to leave and one of the things they’re going to be discussing is smoking right outside the condo. I wouldn’t mind if that was no longer allowed. If someone is outside smoking and we have our door open, the smoke comes into our condo. But I know some people won’t like it at all. They got these benches for outside the clubhouse and this year there’s a “no smoking” sign on them….lol

Got my bag all ready to take. Put a craft to do in the car when we go up.

And we’re off!!!

Vince said he was at the race when Bush came and they saw Air Force One land and take off. That should be interesting. He said that then security wasn’t any different getting into the racetrack, but you had to go thru a metal detector to get to the grandstands. Wonder if it’ll be any different this time?

Michele who is off to Daytona
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,122 Member
    Lanette - I don't actually know if we are having more storms or not. Areas prone to flooding are getting more than their fair share and Brighton is often very windy. I think the naming of the storms makes them appear extra dramatic.
    Having said that, I was flooded several times when I lived in London in the 70s/80s. I wrote a children's book, Stinky Cynthia, about one episode.

Kate UK - No need for a spoiler. We all have our trials and worries. <3 Ageing sucks.

Karen - When I have to do something big, even if I know I will enjoy it, I go into a fugue which feels very like a depression. Nowdays I recognise it, but it used to be a puzzlement. I know I will do the same thing near my cruise. Any performance I would feel like that. The French say 'Reculer pour mieux sauter.' Draw back to jump better! :D
    She looks like an amazing young woman. <3

Katla - That is an amazing achievement. :D I hope you will honour the actual day with something, even if you wait for the big one. If I had stayed with my ex, it would have been our 50th this July 4th. I might send him a card! :laugh:
    DH and I met 17 years ago this coming May. Time has absolutely flown. :o It's so true that time passes faster the older you get. We still feel very new to each other. <3

Rain has arrived. I will do some rowing this afternoon. Tonight's dinner is roasted Mediterranean vegetables with feta and a tiny bit of brown rice.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    I've been working on my exam paper ... still.

I'm up to a comfortable 37 references now and 9000 words. The 37 references is fine ... but I do need to get the 9000 words down to 2500. :smiley: However, for me, it's good to have way more than I need at first.

In some ways, I wish they'd just let us go and write what we need to write without worrying about number of words. I could pop out an entire thesis on Knowledge Management because it interests me. But I do understand that they are trying to keep us all relatively even and give the instructor a bit of a break when he's got to mark them all.

Time for bed now. Keep going tomorrow.

M in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,432 Member
    Heather My 10 year old granddaughter's birthday is the same as my sister's (the one who committed suicide). For years after my sister's death, her birthday was a source of guilt & grief for me because I hadn't called her on her birthday. I always called her on her birthday! I punished myself over it every year. When my granddaughter was born it helped me to move on. Now it's mostly her birthday I'm thinking of.

Carol What a pain that both the car & the garage door are on strike. And so sad for you & your husband still 29 years later. Crushing to lose his parents both at once, even all these years later.

NYKAREN I like your list of important stuff! Have a great week! You so deserve it.

Marianne Children that age can be impossible, and 25-30 hours a week is a lot. I vote for the family meeting. Ditto what Barbara said, and Heather's suggestions are spot on.

Katla I seem to remember that you made a conscious decision not to have alcohol at some point in your life, and it is currently giving you heartburn. Don't drink it. Your doctor just mentioned it because you were doing everything right already & she couldn't come up with any other suggestions. You can get just as much resveratrol from grapes, blueberries, & raspberries. <3 Your wedding day sounds so very lovely, and left you with such amazing memories.

Tracey Twins but a generation apart! Photos of your girls in the same dress: priceless.

Rori Yea for financial windfalls!

Lanette Isn't that weird about the diverticulosis? I got the same news from my recent colonoscopy, and yet the one 10 years ago showed very few diverticuli. And I eat fiber. So what's with that?

Amber Ick. I guess JR will be keeping your chimney flue emptied out from now on. Good little man. Love the picture of your daughter sneaking a snuggle with her brother.

Lisa I, for one, would find sarcastic greeting cards irresistible. That card company missed out on that opportunity! You could probably print them yourself. And sell them online. I'd be one of your customers.

Debby in VA Gorgeous photo. Love the matching jammies.

Flea "Timely". Ha. From a bureaucratic government agency.

Barbie The Valentine's Day line-dancing sounds like it was really fun. And Jake got a goodies windfall!

Michele I'd be cautious with keeping & gifting a leftover seafood dish, especially if it sat out for very long. It sounds as if you were pleased with most of the food that was brought for the pot luck.

Rebecca Melting heart. Thank you for the Athena Valentine. What a dolly.

Sue So satisfying to have that new stainless steel hot water heater and a nice hot shower.

Machka Envious of your fresh garden produce. I love a sweet cucumber.

Pip That car looks new. What a detailing job! Geez! The Beast looks Fab!

And…Yogi is the bomb.

>>>

Yesterday (day 1 of a 3-day meet) my granddaughter improved 2 of her swimming times, but was still disappointed in her performance. She is trying to qualify for the state championships in the 11-12 age group because she will turn 11 soon. Swimmers who age up between the district & state meets face this challenge. I love watching her. She is the mother hen and life coach of the other girls on the team. But she doesn't want anyone to talk to her before she swims. She walks away from her mom (a swimmer) before she races.

Two photos from years past showing how she is before a race:

qnngpftit4os.jpg
    2c0kpxohjtd4.jpg

Karen in Virginia

It hasn’t been detailed. We just keep our cars in decent shape
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,432 Member
    auntiebk wrote: »
    "Todo"s and "done"
    Done: carry over 10 mins cleaning Dining Room, Living Room, BB&B, Freddie’s, Post Office, Library, recycling, Pancho’s, line dancing.
    Bonus: 18 mins deep clean DR, ½ load laundry.
    ToDo: make rum frosting for mini cakes, invest 10 mins cleaning Office, carry over 10 mins cleaning Master & Guest Bds, Master Bth, dog group, follow up for DEXA scan appt, install iCloud for Win 10, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, bake bran muffins, call Carolyn D. Next week Shadow to Mini Pet Mart to shop for crate, get Shingrix vaccine. Reward: inventory seeds, plan garden, order replenishments.
    Carol ((hugs))
    NYKaren your “to do”s sound just right!
    Welcome MauraTex!
    Marianne, I can’t imagine caring for 2 girls 5+ hrs/day, 5 days a week, especially since they don’t listen to you. ((hugs))
    Pip Last day for the beast? Are you selling your Suburban?

Too tired (but it’s a good tired) to comment further.
    Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    February: better than January.
    daily: steps=7662  vits=11.5 log=14 CI<CO=11 CI<250<CO=9 Tumble 5/10=9 mfp=14 outside=9 clean 10 mins=9 up hill=14
    wkly: BB&B x3=6, rx=2 dance=4 pack walk=2
    mnthly: board mtg= grant= review 20for20=1

Trading it in for our forever beast. I will b swapping it in today
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited February 2020
    Heather: I’m sorry your cleaner was hurt in a fall. I hope she heals well and quickly. :star:

Karen in VA: You are right about me leaving alcohol behind. I think I’ve found a possible compromise, but I’ll have to try it for more than one day. The possible compromise is one ounce of Cabernet Sauvignon in a tall glass of sparkling water. I’ll see. I won’t be lured in to drinking too much alcohol regardless of possible heart health benefits. Brain health is more important to me than heart health. I’ve had relatively low blood pressure since I was in college. I have never had high blood pressure, even during childbirth. :flowerforyou:

Lanette: We live at 26 feet above sea level. A few years ago there was a heavy snowfall from the headwaters of the Columbia River in Canada to the hydroelectric dams between OR and WA. Water was deep but it stayed inside the banks of the river and our place stayed dry. Several years before that heavy snow and a hold up tide caused water build up behind the dams. The Dam keepers let too much water out and caused flooding in the lower Columbia River. That event was before we moved here. We had a highwater mark in our living room fireplace for many years but it isn’t still visible. :star:

Re Microsoft: It is still doing okay for me, too. I only use it for Word. I haven’t made a PowerPoint presentation since I retired from teaching. :noway:

Kate UK: Sorry to hear that your brother’s wife has dementia. It must be extremely stressful for him. Is her situation bad enough that she needs to be put in an Alzheimer’s facility? I hope he is able to get support for her care.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,577 Member
    Happy Saturday!

I leave you ladies for 24 hours and have to catch up again! LOL! I love it! I hope everyone had a great Friday whether you celebrate Valentines Day or not. My husband never was big into Valentines, but loved Sweetest Day in October. I think it was because he was always getting ready to go hunting, so wanted to get me something before he left. The last two years it has been Valentines. With our diets being more restricted, there was no candy exchanged. He got me two more massage certificates. I got him some scratch off tickets. He won $13. As cold as it was yesterday, I was planning on spending a quiet evening at home. Plans changed. We joined the thousands of people eating out! Funny thing is we went with friends to Red Lobster yet I was the only one that had seafood! The food was really good and the server was wonderful. I had steak and shrimp with couscous rice and asparagus. I forgot how bad asparagus makes your pee smell! But it was so good! The steak came out well done, when ordered rare. Hard to make that mistake! They made it right. I ate every bit of food. Proud moments- no alcohol and chose to leave the cheddar biscuits alone. That was HARD! Good thing though as the manager gave me free dessert due to steak issue. It was a vanilla bean cheesecake- OMG! So not permitted! I shared with husband. The upside is I didn't go over sugar amounts for the day due to good choices. I do have a headache today. Not sure if weather, water, or food related........Need to get some water down as sodium was off the charts yesterday!

My husband surprised me with no work again today! WHAT!!!! He said his sister was working and that we are so slow we get to stay home! WOW! Will be posting stuffs on ebay for him and doing laundry. The sun is shining so curtains are open. We ate so late last night that my husband didn't sleep well, he is currently snoring away after being up since pre-dawn. So nothing exciting going on, but love two day weekends!

I really have read all the posts. You ladies inspire me to be the best I can be! You make me laugh, cry, think, and appreciate. You let me travel from my own recliner.

Machka- I always had to figure out how to cut down papers in high school, yet be more specific. Use to drive me crazy. Now my biggest writing challenge is warranty paperwork.

Hugs to those struggling!
    Congratulations to those celebrating in life events!
    Welcome to the new ladies!

Should go get some water in, dress, and get some things done for husband before I waste away this glorious day out of work!

<3
    Kylia
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 17,929 Member
    Flea: (((Hugs))) Why do things have to be so complicated! Courage, my dear!

😍 Adorable Athena!

I definitely need to give myself a lot of grace today. Had a blast with DH yesterday. So note to self: it's just one day! And I'm back on track already!

We're in the middle of Storm Dennis now! 💨💨💨☔️☔️☔️

Have a 🚀 Stratospheric Saturday 🚀
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Karen- My Daughter has that exact attitude y look during competitions.She says she’s sizing up the others looking for their weakness remembering what they are. Also planning her course around what she’s learning. It’s a Rare skill be glad she has it.

Amber Tx

Today prep meals eating those then will see might make salad prep meals too today.

Yes our chimney is now a JR target 🎯. Won’t let him have the water heater so he was on the hunt for the next items.
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    KATLA not sure if my SIL needs to go into care yet The kids seem more worried about their Dad at the moment. They live in Wales and he seems to be getting access to more help more quickly than we get in England.
    HEATHER thanks <3
    We've got wind and rain and although we're on NW coast we don't seem to get the extreme stuff
    Kate UK <3
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    It has been quite a busy week work-wise. The emails do not stop for a moment and the whole team is being pulled from one project to the next. There have been tons of meetings which does not allow for much work to be done. The positive thing is the work day flies by in a blink.

Shana – Welcome to this wonderful group. I love the Caymans. DH and I visited many years ago and we feel in love with the islands and the people.

Rebecca – Congratulations on the weight loss. It seems you have found the lifestyle that fits you and your needs.
    Girl Scout Cookies – I have been avoiding them! I will sometimes buy and bring in to the office, but this year I decided it was in my best interest to “walk on by” (hopefully I did not start any ear worms).

Machka – I may have not spent last weekend working on a term paper/exam but remember many a weekend and many nights either cramming for an exam or researching a term paper while I worked full-time. It took me way too many years to get my Associate’s degree so when I finally decided to work upon my Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees I went back full time at nights and weekends for both. I completed each one in 16 months. I will say it is something I have never regretted. Keep up the fine work. Sorry about your arm. That’s a lot of stairs – keep up the great work!

Viv – I hope the storm did not cause too much damage. There was very little news on this side of the pond. The flooding looked horrible.

NYKaren – Thank you for the pickled onion recipe. I love any type of onion. I am especially partial to the Vidalia and look forward to its season every year.

Allie – I really hope you are able to find a new job soon. Maybe after your vacation? Do you have a LinkedIn profile? You may be able to reconnect with past co-workers and find something with better working conditions and a boss that appreciates their employees versus berating them. It may also help you to remember people that appear to enjoy making others feel bad usually have some real issues. Their outward face is just a reflection of the darkness inside. I am very fortunate to have a periodontist who is interesting in dental health versus making money with unnecessary treatments. I do not know what I will do, if he ever retires. It seems many dental offices are now merging and it is now big business.

Sue – I went through a water heater replacement a little over two years ago. Mine was not up to code and it cost an arm and a leg too. Sorry!

Marianne – Congratulations on a clean MRI!!

Katla – Hopefully DH was able to install the new faucets. Now that I am almost caught up I see the plumber had to install. I hope you are happy with the results.

JanetO – Hope everything is working out with the new position and it is meeting your expectations.

Michelle – I portion my cereal too. I have many Ziploc/Glad etc. containers in various sizes to portion out my meals. It makes meal prep, especially breakfasts and lunches for work, much easier and takes out the guess work. The best thing to do with your hair is to go to a professional and get the dark hair professionally changed to your new hair. The last time I got my hair cut a gal did exactly that and it was beautiful. The only other thing you can do is to cut out all of the old – TG I love short hair so that would not be a problem for me.

Tracey – I watch “This is Us” too. I am also enjoying “A Million Little Thing”. “For Life” looks good, but since I am limiting my TV time I decided not to start it.

Annie – Big hug to you. Hopefully this week you will join the coffee group. Sometimes forcing ourselves to do something makes us feel better.

Ginny – I do not understand some people either. A gal in my office said to me, wow, you have lost a lot of weight, are you sick? I swear some just get off on tragedy. The one saying you are too thin probably wishes he had the motivation to do something about his situation. The satellite companies try to push it here in Florida. I will not get satellite for the same reason why – with all of the rain here I would rather have dependability versus a slightly lower cost. Happy you were able to tear that chair apart and the relief it brought.

Okie – I so agree with you regarding Allie’s situation. It’s time to leave. The doctor is not going to change and being in such a small office/practice it’s impossible to get relief by mixing with other employees.

RV Rita – Hi!!

Flea – I feel for you and the situation with MIL’s home. DH, Charlie, felt the same way after his mom passed. I said, let’s just sell it to a developer (it was a real possibility) and take the money and run. He felt he had to go through all of the stuff she accumulated (she was a bit of a pack rat). After months of planning he went there to get things in shape. The final day he was in the house I called him (home was in NJ, I was in FL) and he did not sound well. I asked him to please go to the hospital, he said he was just tired and he was looking forward to coming home. He died in that house that night. I swear if I was in NJ I would have bought several gallons of gas and burned that damn house down and would have ended up in jail. I am sorry the kids will be displaced. Please know not matter what you said to DH it was simply something he had to do. DMIL’s home ended up being auctioned for back taxes and to pay off the reverse-mortgage – long story there which is something I do not want to relive. I can say since the property was never transferred to Charlie because of his passing (it was in process) and I had no rights to the property it had no financial effect upon me. TG!

Evelyn – Big hug. Those anniversaries are always hard. It seems my funk always in the days leading up to the anniversaries. I have been trying to practice being thankful for the memories and the time however long or short I had with my angles. It’s not always easy.

Rori – So sorry about your foot. Would a soft/removable cast help at night?

Lanette – Hopefully the doctor will be able to answer your questions and provide suggestions. That’s a lot of weight!

Florida and the Cost of Living – Many think it’s cheaper down here. And, it can be depending upon where you live. Florida’s industry is mostly service based and the pay stinks for most. Rents in a decent town in South Florida run around $1800/month for a studio. I was fortunate to buy when the market was “cheaper”. However, Homeowner’s insurance for a 2-bedroom town home is almost $2k per year and that does not include flood insurance which is necessary in Florida.

Pip – Congratulations on the new vehicle!

Kate – Sorry about your DB and his wife. Is there a time you can coordinate with your brother and have him call you when his wife is asleep/napping?

Welcome all of those who are new. Hugs to all and prayers for those in need.
    SuziQ - SFL
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,122 Member
    edited February 2020
    Karen - aaaaaaahhhhhhh! :D<3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx