What was the last meal you cooked?

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,553 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    I'm currently cooking ragù bolognese. Thought I might cook enough for 4-5 days, but this pot of yumminess is 2000kcal in total. Plus pasta and parmeggiano... I think I'm rather looking at 7 portions. Hope I have enough food containers to be honest :D

If you have ziplock bags, I often freeze bolognese sauce in bags. Just lay them out on a flat surface while they are freezing so they don't turn into odd shapes that end up taking extra room in the freezer.
  • Ravenspurn
    Ravenspurn Posts: 14 Member
    edited February 2020
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Tubular large pasta with smoked sockeye salmon, EVOO, cream, zucchine in small pieces, broth crystals, and freshly grated PR.

Broth crystals????

Yup..."Dialcos Dialbrodo Classico" --condensed vegetable broth.

Ahhhhh again with the terminology hahaha. Broth powder :)
    Try to source "Better Than Boulion". Great stuff.

Can't--I live in Italy. This is the best I've found.
    I call them broth crystals because it's granular, not a powder.

Vegetable Glace or Demi-Glace is cheap (15€ 20-30 servings), quick (2-4 hours), and easy to make, and will keep 6 months in the refrigerator, or 2 years in the freezer.
    Anything you make will in generally be better tasting, and you have control of the ingredients (especially the salt content).
    It's also a great way to use vegetable scraps.

I often use Agar to jellify Vegetarian Glace, or Xantham Gum to thicken Vegetarian Demi-Glace.

Cheers!
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Ravenspurn wrote: »
    Gravad Lax rolls with horseradish crème fraische, pomme purée, and dill dijonnaise.
    Total kcal a little over 500 per serving, buut good for the soul.

the soul needs a little feeding for fitness, too! lol
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    I'm currently cooking ragù bolognese. Thought I might cook enough for 4-5 days, but this pot of yumminess is 2000kcal in total. Plus pasta and parmeggiano... I think I'm rather looking at 7 portions. Hope I have enough food containers to be honest :D

If you have ziplock bags, I often freeze bolognese sauce in bags. Just lay them out on a flat surface while they are freezing so they don't turn into odd shapes that end up taking extra room in the freezer.

yes, that's an option. I do try to use as little plastic as possible. Found enough food containers in the end, so all is fine (well, put two portions into the fridge in small soup bowls :D ) Gosh, I still have 4 portions of soup in the freezer (Asian lentil soup and mix of leek and tattie/mustard soup). I kind of overdone things a bit lately. :p
  • acpgee
    Thai marinated lamb shoulder, Vietnamese canh, rice.
    9c135mfkcld6.jpeg
  • acpgee

yes, that's an option. I do try to use as little plastic as possible. Found enough food containers in the end, so all is fine (well, put two portions into the fridge in small soup bowls :D ) Gosh, I still have 4 portions of soup in the freezer (Asian lentil soup and mix of leek and tattie/mustard soup). I kind of overdone things a bit lately. :p

I just bought some re-usable silicon food bags from a company called stasher. Hoping to reduce reliance on ziplock bags especially for sous vide. I normally use re-usable food containers for the freezer.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member

I just bought some re-usable silicon food bags from a company called stasher. Hoping to reduce reliance on ziplock bags especially for sous vide. I normally use re-usable food containers for the freezer.

yes, I have reuseable 'clingfilm'. Only two of them at the moment as i'm testing how useful and durable they are. Perfect for my two portions of ragu bolognese. The rest is now stashed away in my freezer :blush: Looks like I don't need to cook this week, provided I find a good artisan bread to go with the soup.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Since acpgee and yirara are mentioning re-usable stuff I will totally come in and plug something I bought about 2 yrs ago, use all the time and will buy more of. It's better quality than some others that are supposed to do the same. Easy to wash. No need to use plastic wrap. Can go in the oven, dishwasher or microwave I believe but not tried that yet but I'd believe it. It blows me away still. I can flop it on top a pot or bowl and it instantly suctions to it. I can usually lift the thing it's on up off the bench full of food that is how airtight it is in one second flat! I used it as a party trick with my family. It's that weird and amazing. Love it. You can even get rectangular shaped ones for casseroles. This is their link:

https://gir.co/collections/storage-utility/products/suction-lid?variant=27622813106240
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    I should also mention I have some of the re-susable"clingfilm" stuff and while it's ok.. kind of it's not great and a pain compaired to this to wash and dry. Doesn't stick as great either. More fiddly if you get what I mean.
  • mjbnj0001
    Saturday evening dinner: baked eggplant parm, side spagetti squash with sauce, and "contingency sauteed eggplant mix." The baked eggplant and squash were pretty conventional, lowered fat (part-skim mozzerella and baked, not fried), etc. The sauteed mix was a crash combo of using my eggplant overage (I prepped to much for the bake dish and didn't want to waste it), along with an improv mix of fridge veg (red onion, red pepper, grape tomatoes plus minced garlic and herbs) to make a savory side dish and eliminate wastage. MFP calcs the serving plate at about 854 cal, 38g protein, 27g fat, 88g carb on a 2000 cal/day program.

Photos: cooked and ready to plate, plated.

v9898ugwbzt3.jpg

nzc4mirhktti.jpg
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Today risotto with arborio rice, potatoes, butter, and Parmigiano Reggiano. My mother-in-law always used to make this. A family favorite.
  • acpgee
    Last of the leftover seafood laksa
    f1kti7cda73b.jpg
  • acpgee
    Pad Thai using David Thompson’s recipe.
    oaiexou2dobe.jpeg
  • snowflake954
    Mixed pasta (sometimes I have a little of this and a little of that--I check the cooking times and throw in the one that needs the longest first 13 min, then 11 min, then the last two were both 9 min) with chick peas, garlic, a little rosemary, and EVOO.
  • snowflake954
    Today traditional pasta with tomato sauce and freshly grated PR.
  • mjbnj0001
    Tuesday evening dinner: scrod parmigiana, with side pasta (shells, of course!) and salad. With a treat: there are several "bumps" on the top of these two pieces of fish, they're 6 precooked shrimp as a topping. I had made eggplant parm on the weekend, and had some leftovers (sauce and cheese), so when I went shopping today, I had intended to buy chicken, but the scrod was on a good special. Baked. Had I thought ahead to being photogenic, I might have divided the larger fish into two pieces and lain them side by side for a more symmetrical picture. Family loved it, and that's what counts.

ch1d5m2q34o6.jpg
  • snowflake954
    Chicken thighs done in a non-stick frying pan, vegetable soup with farro and lentils.
  • snowflake954
    Spaghetti with clams, garlic, red pepper flakes, white wine, and EVOO.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Roast duck with a pomegranate reduction