March 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Tramboman wrote: »
    @Tramboman how did the checkup go? Yes, calorie free... hahahaha and also it MUST be an anti inflammatory food, right?

@SassyBelle070707 The rule of thumb is to not change your diet the day before or days before a race. Simultaneously the rule of thumb is the carb load the days before...

I usually run fasted which is a huge mistake so at least, don't do that. :)

Checkup went fine. Doc said I have the body and mind of a 68 year old...

The doc is wrong. :)

It is what it is, and I'm comfortable with it.
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »

In all seriousness, if you BQ I bet the folks here would help fund raise. I don’t think you’re allowed to do it through the site but I know I would pitch in a few bucks and I’m broke as hell. We are proud of our own people!

We could set up a GoFundMe page for you if it came down to it :p

And WE CAN MAKE TEE SHIRTS!

"Vincent Goes To Boston"

"Win, Vincent, Win!"

• hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I would seriously contribute to the "send @PastorVincent to Boston fund."
  • hamsterwheel6
    Options
    @rheddmobile I was thinking deer as well...That is crazy though.
  • hamsterwheel6
    Options
    @Camaramandy648 You would just keep running. And trust us, once you have completed, the thought of another will creep in. It usually does.
    I did my first HM last Sept. and it was supposed to be I want to see if I can do it, would be great to finish one, say I did it. And that would be it. Well I have one coming up, and will probably do one in the Fall. So yeah.
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Belated birthday wishes @Camaramandy648 - sounds like your kiddies did you proud!

Condolences @dreamer12151 - so sad.

@PastorVincent @Duck_Puddle @LoveyChar @katharmonic and everyone else discussing distance and the madness that takes over... I’m laughing nervously. When I started running I never thought I’d make it more than 5k, but somehow squeezed two half marathons in within the year. I’ve said I won’t go any further but then I wonder if I’ll always regret not doing at least one marathon. Luckily I’m not fit enough to worry about that for a while!!

@username301 - thanks, yes I did the Race for London with the kids and will do the same this year. It was such a lovely atmosphere. You should join in if you get the chance!
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »

In all seriousness, if you BQ I bet the folks here would help fund raise. I don’t think you’re allowed to do it through the site but I know I would pitch in a few bucks and I’m broke as hell. We are proud of our own people!

We could set up a GoFundMe page for you if it came down to it :p

And WE CAN MAKE TEE SHIRTS!

"Vincent Goes To Boston"

"Win, Vincent, Win!"

All of this!

And @Camaramandy648 after your marathon, OBVIOUSLY you will eat all the food and have to go down stairs backwards for a few days (or is that up stairs?) then you will sign up for another one. How about aim to run one in every state? Apparently that's a thing some crazy 'Merican runners do :-p
  • Camaramandy648
    Options
    @eleanorhawkins that's a great idea! My eye doctor just told me this week that he used running as an excuse to travel to all fifty states.

My daughter was asking about my "running thing" in Nashville and I started to feel kind of bad I hadn't planned to bring her and her brother. I seriously did not think they would be interested in waiting for me to finish and I don't think my sisters would be interested in watching them for me (I think one of my sisters is running the half anyway and the other sister is the flaky one, though she adores my kids). I'll have to gauge the interest of both kids and determine how to manage travel plans so that they are not missing out on something that I've assumed they don't care about.... especially if they DO care about it.

There's a run in Indiana where my big brother is so I'd definitely like to go see him for sure.
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,531 Member
    Options
    I think they would want to be part of something so significant @Camaramandy648 as your achievements mean as much to them as theirs do to you! Admittedly when I ran my half I told nobody, ran it, met my SO at at work and went "guess what I did today?" but a marathon is so different!
  • Camaramandy648
    Options
    I'm sorry but I can't agree with the 'Vincent goes to Boston' idea. I can only get behind it if we go with "Pastor V rocks Boston", can't have him being confused with another Vincent. Seriously happy to support you on this Pastor V, don't dismiss us :smiley:

YAS!
  • Camaramandy648
    Options
    I think they would want to be part of something so significant @Camaramandy648 as your achievements mean as much to them as theirs do to you! Admittedly when I ran my half I told nobody, ran it, met my SO at at work and went "guess what I did today?" but a marathon is so different!

@TheMrWobbly one would think. But. They're a teenager and a tween. I think they'd want to go for my sisters, but I don't imagine they'd enjoy the packet pickup or waiting around for me. I'll have to talk to them this evening and see where they stand.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    7 miles today. 2 slow warm up, 4 slightly faster than HM pace 1 cool down.

Out on the green way. I Love Love Dogs. I have a Boxer. Have run with him when he was little - he can't much anymore - he just gets winded easily - must be the short muzzles.
    Anyway. My point. Every time I did take him, he would be on a leash because well it's the law.
    He's very friendly - too friendly at times, but also very skittish. Like he's seriously a wimp.

I know people like to let their dogs free, but on a green way trail, where there are tons of people walking, running, biking, they need to be leashed.
    Today, there were two ladies ahead of me walking with their two dogs off leash, and the dogs were being dogs and running across the trail and all over. Of course as I caught up to them, the ladies scrambled to get them and leash them. Fine. So I go on, annoyed, but oh well. At my turn around point, I head back and of course I see them again, and the dogs are again off leash! And yes running around right in front of me I had to abruptly stop. This time I told them "they really need to be leashed" - Her response, "sorry..he does have an electronic collar"- OK what does that have to do with not being leashed on the green way? I just shook my head an carried on.
    Sorry just had to vent.

This is one of my biggest peeves on trails. Dogs in my city are required to be on leash unless in a fenced in yard or specified dog park. But so many people let them off leash. My dog gets nervous around unleashed dogs. She was on the streets for who knows how long before the shelter got her and in the shelter for 3 months. I'm guessing she had a bad experience with another stray.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options

@TheMrWobbly one would think. But. They're a teenager and a tween. I think they'd want to go for my sisters, but I don't imagine they'd enjoy the packet pickup or waiting around for me. I'll have to talk to them this evening and see where they stand.

If I remember correctly your daughter is autistic. So is mine. You might consider finding a shorter local race or Parkrun near you to give her a glimpse of what to expect in a race environment. This was helpful for my daughter when I raced the 5k. She had already been to Parkrun several times. Unexpected happenings can be problematic for her. Getting to my race early and walking around to see how things were set up helped immensely. We also came up with a location where she would go if she got overwhelmed (this happened several times due to the volume of the live music.). Having a shorter practice race can help her adjust to the race environment.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    @hamsterwheel6 I empathize with your frustration. I have a mutt who's been a part of our family for 8 years. I was walking her several years ago and I was expecting (resulted in a loss weeks later) so I was in all kinds of protection mode to begin with when a dog ran out of a hole in the fence of a neighbor's yard and charged my dog. My dog is not well socialized. She's territorial of her people, her home, and her space and she'll go on full attack mode if approached (and she's not a large dog). Anyway, I was on one knee with my other leg up against the other dog and pulling its ear back as hard as I could to prevent the dog from making contact with my dog while pulling my dog back with her leash, hard balancing act. He was fighting me to get to her. I screamed bloody murder until people came out of their houses to help and since the owners weren't home to collect the dog, police and animal control were called out. Anyway, the police officer told me I might want to get something to protect myself or my dog with when out walking. I took protection with me after that for several months, but I've since left my guard down. I'm not going to let anybody attack my dog and as far as people...children, pregnant, elderly, ill...? Have some respect and be responsible. The neighbor fixed the hole in the fence, but it's made me more aware of other dogs. When running and I see a dog coming on or off a leash, I scream to the owner "coming through" at the top of my lungs or to get the dog on a leash. Here it's the law that a dog must be on a leash, but too many don't respect the leash law. I don't care if your dog is friendly. Keep it away from me when I'm running. Keep it away from my baby. I don't know it, I don't trust it. I have a hot temper when it comes to people thinking they don't have to control their dogs in public. Get your dog on a leash and keep it on a tight leash.
  • Camaramandy648
    Options

If I remember correctly your daughter is autistic. So is mine. You might consider finding a shorter local race or Parkrun near you to give her a glimpse of what to expect in a race environment. This was helpful for my daughter when I raced the 5k. She had already been to Parkrun several times. Unexpected happenings can be problematic for her. Getting to my race early and walking around to see how things were set up helped immensely. We also came up with a location where she would go if she got overwhelmed (this happened several times due to the volume of the live music.). Having a shorter practice race can help her adjust to the race environment.

This is a great idea!

Years ago, while she was still diagnosed as having "just severe adhd," (this is VERY common, especially in girls), I signed her up for Girls on the Run. She trained two days a week after school and I trained during the week on lunch breaks. We ended up running the whole Bass Pro 5K together!

Of course, it occurred to me much later in years that probably the reason she HATED the whole experience was because of all of the sensory stimuli as well as the physical effort and not seeing the point in what we were doing, all the people, etc. etc. etc.

She reminded me yesterday - "Hey remember that time I accidentally ran a whole 5K?"

Anyway, prepping her for the race environment is a great idea. ;)
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options

This is a great idea!

Years ago, while she was still diagnosed as having "just severe adhd," (this is VERY common, especially in girls), I signed her up for Girls on the Run. She trained two days a week after school and I trained during the week on lunch breaks. We ended up running the whole Bass Pro 5K together!

Of course, it occurred to me much later in years that probably the reason she HATED the whole experience was because of all of the sensory stimuli as well as the physical effort and not seeing the point in what we were doing, all the people, etc. etc. etc.

She reminded me yesterday - "Hey remember that time I accidentally ran a whole 5K?"

Anyway, prepping her for the race environment is a great idea. ;)

We carry ear plugs everywhere and she has some stim toys and chewelry to help her with sensory overload. But as I’m sure you know, some days are harder than others.