Coronavirus prep

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I am compulsive about my hands being clean. I also hardly ever get sick. I do have to use a lot of lotion though to fight back the roughness.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    I currently have 4 children knocked out with flu like symptoms... it’s been days of high fevers, crazy coughing, etc. I “joke” that it could be coronavirus, but we’ll never know since they can’t test for it yet! (Although I am seeing headlines that tests are making their way around). We are on the outskirts of DC, a “bedroom community” for people that work in the city, so lots of potential to bring it in. Haven’t been to the doctor, we homeschool so no need to expose them to anything else if the symptoms are treatable at home (we have been often enough to have the needed meds for her croup) so not 100% sure what it is.

Wednesday is when it started, I thought my daughter was reacting to some bags of soil I bought - her cough started within minutes of being in the car with them. Super sensitive lungs, at age 8 she gets croup that shuts down her airways with any airborne irritant (no longer able to even swim in indoor chlorine pools). I went to buy a mask for her since we still had 45 minutes in the car to get home and found the supply wiped out... at multiple stores. Didn’t know what was going on, until the guy at the hardware store told me why the shelves were cleared.

We would be ones that would need to stock up on water, our well water is awful to try and drink... something I took for granted when we lived in NC with well water so good we could bottle and sell it.

We too are on the outskirts of DC (Reston, Virginia). I got a very bad cold 13 days ago; we joked that I had coronavirus and I waited for it to end, with the traditional box of tissues and waste paper basket next to the bed, kindle in hand. It didn't really improve at all in the typical 3-4 days. Then in the past week my wife and our two cats have gotten the same exceptionally bad cold, same exact symptoms (and a bit unique - congestion on one side of the head, etc.) and I'm only half way back to normal after like two weeks, just started working out again. It has occurred to me that, despite not hearing about coronavirus outbreaks in DC, we are dead smack center in the middle of the action as far as jet setters and business people coming and going from Asia, Europe, etc. I mean, if anyplace is gonna be a vector for virus proliferation, Dulles Airport is a good bet.
  • SlayLikeAWarrior
    SlayLikeAWarrior Posts: 89 Member
    If I were to guess, I would say the virus has already spread to US and some other countries before US found out about it in January. The virus could have been contained and controlled better if China had been more honest early. Apparently China have known about this since November/December of last year. So the bottom line is if anyone is sick with cold, go in and get tested as soon as possible so you know what you actually have. This is one way to slow the spread besides washing your hands.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    lx1x wrote: »
    Yoda had a baby?

I am SO out of the loop.

No..it is yoda as a baby.

No, it's not. Three more pages and no one corrected this??

The Mandalorian is set well after Return of the Jedi. The Child (dear god, please let them give him a name next season so everyone stops with the Baby Yoda thing) is the same species as Yoda. Whether he is related to Yoda in any way at all remains to be seen.

Thank you! I was finishing reading before I corrected. This is the way.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,905 Member
    Yoda had a baby?

I am SO out of the loop.

The Mandalorian is set well after Return of the Jedi. The Child (dear god, please let them give him a name next season so everyone stops with the Baby Yoda thing) is the same species as Yoda. Whether he is related to Yoda in any way at all remains to be seen.

Sooo...the small yoda-ish creature is just a cliff-hanger? Then we don't care if his/her supply chain is disrupted until next installment...
    mandalorian-babyyoda-conceptart-satchel-700x313.jpg

I am glad to have that answer!
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,308 Member
    Yoda had a baby?

I am SO out of the loop.

Who cares! LoL. Nothing to do with the thread topic
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,308 Member
    Yoda had a baby?

I am SO out of the loop.

Who cares! LoL. Nothing to do with the thread topic

Hmmm, didn't seem to bother you that it wasn't on topic when you posted.

It's called a joke..😑
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I received this from a kid's youth sports organization:

Practice frequent and meticulous hand-washing with soap and water or alcohol-based hand rub
    Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands
    Cover your nose and mouth when coughing and/or sneezing with a tissue or flexed elbow
    Avoid close contact with anyone with cold or flu-like symptoms
    Quarantine anyone who is sick (players, coaches, parents, roommates)
    Ensure safe food sources; thoroughly cook meat and eggs
    Handshake lines after games should include fist bumps with gloves on
    Use individual water bottles; do not share them
    Towels should not be shared in any way

My question is: why isn't this the way we all live our lives every day, with or without a pandemic scare? Once this scare has passed, do people just go "whew, now I can stop washing my hands, can go out in public when I have illness symptoms, can share water bottles, eat unthoroughly cooked meat and eggs, etc.?" Lol

Other than the handshake lines with gloves, this is really common sense for everyday living. I am not a germophobe and I do all of those. I do not use antibacterial anything (except hand sanitizer when washing my hands in water is not an option, like when hiking) and rarely get sick. I believe part of it is my genes and part of it is a common sense approach to germs. Low level exposure increases immunity but higher level exposure is minimized.

Until I know what is really happening in my area regarding the coronavirus I will continue to practice common sense precautions. True, I may do more grocery shopping online with curbside pickup but that is it.

BTW: the CDC recommends lathering your hands for the length of time it takes to sing "Happy Birthday" twice. That is wrong. Any grade school teacher will tell you that you should lather your hands for the time it takes you to sing the "ABC song", which I do encourage my students to do and yes, the bathrooms echo funny when they do.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    edited March 2020
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Just saw this in a Business Insider article

5her6yjlcc2m.jpg

My concern is that I don't really trust China's numbers...they tried to cover this thing up early on. But for sure, the mortality rate is going to be higher for the elderly and immune compromised.