Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I wrote the part about the government because they're trying to contain the northern outbreak by extending the quarantine. People found out about it late at night and those that live in the rest of Italy, especially college students, quickly packed up and flooded the train stations in the middle of the night and left Milan. They can be contagious and may spread the virus far and wide. Italians are used to doing what they want--the rules are for others, so now to see what happens.

We have our first case in my town (St Louis) because of a study abroad student returning in a hurry from Italy. Apparently she flew through Chicago, took an Amtrak home, and upon return did go to a local hospital for testing and the family was advised to self quarantine, only they didn’t... younger siblings went to school Friday and father took one of the daughters to a dance at a swanky hotel Saturday night. While they were there they got the confirmed presumptive positive diagnosis for the sister and immediately left but people here are outraged that they didn’t heed the recommendation for social quarantine to begin with.

Apparently "close relatives" of the student on the train have become ill with the virus.

Pubic stoning for "stupid behavior"?

I haven’t seen anything alluding to that yet in the local paper online but it wouldn’t surprise me. I did just read that Bayer is closing one of its offices here for deep cleaning because an employee is suspected of having the virus, it’s possible that could be a family member of the study abroad student that has been confirmed.

Yes there is a lot of negligence and bad judgement going on here but I do feel badly for these college students who are being labeled some sort of pariah as I can’t imagine dealing with that social stigma at that age. But yeah they should be smart enough to observe the guidelines to avoid further risking others being infected.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Since the ones that are dying seem to have had preexisting health issues it seems while a good stock of toilet paper and canned tuna are nice that working to improve general health is the best goal 24/7/365. The first case in KY and TN have been announced. Locally it is expected to arrive mid April so at least we will have winter behind us.

Maybe being old is a factor at our house but who does not have 24+ of toilet paper on hands at all times?

I don't think whether it's winter or not matters...it's hitting in the southern hemisphere where it is currently summer.

From my understanding, the vast majority of cases in Australia are from people who have returned from other countries rather than transmission to others when they have returned home. That may change now that the weather is cooling down with autumn. I have read that the virus doesn't survive in the heat but who knows what is and isn't true.

Our NZ cases are all people who have returned from overseas, or their family members, so far.

My understanding was that we don't yet know if there is a seasonal component to infection rate. The fact that it has arrived here (and in Aus) in time to coincide with seasonal 'flu is not great, though.

My guess is that the number of cases in the southern hemisphere will escalate with the cooler weather and combined with seasonal flu will push emergency departments to breaking point. However, if more are taking precautions to avoid coronavirus then the number of cases of seasonal flu may be significantly less than normal

Yes, we're certainly aiming for the latter scenario! I suspect there will be a very strong push for people to get 'flu vaccinations this year (I mean, there's always a push, but I expect they'll double down on that, and hopefully make sure they get enough in this year).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Since the ones that are dying seem to have had preexisting health issues it seems while a good stock of toilet paper and canned tuna are nice that working to improve general health is the best goal 24/7/365. The first case in KY and TN have been announced. Locally it is expected to arrive mid April so at least we will have winter behind us.

Maybe being old is a factor at our house but who does not have 24+ of toilet paper on hands at all times?

I don't think whether it's winter or not matters...it's hitting in the southern hemisphere where it is currently summer.

From my understanding, the vast majority of cases in Australia are from people who have returned from other countries rather than transmission to others when they have returned home. That may change now that the weather is cooling down with autumn. I have read that the virus doesn't survive in the heat but who knows what is and isn't true.

Hopefully it can't...but I know there are 5 confirmed in Arizona where it's hot all the time and one of the individuals didn't travel anywhere.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    More on the St. Louis student (from the Chi Trib):

"Health officials in Illinois and Missouri are trying to track down who came into close contact with a St. Louis woman who tested positive for the coronavirus after flying into O’Hare International Airport, staying with a friend here, then taking an Amtrak train to her home last week.

The woman, in her 20s, flew into O’Hare on Monday and took an Amtrak train to St. Louis on Wednesday, according to Missouri and St. Louis County officials. Officials did not know where she stayed in the Chicago area, or how she got to Union Station to board the Amtrak 303 train....

Meanwhile, Amtrak issued a statement saying the rail service is “working in close contact with public health and emergency management teams to have the best available information to be able to share with our customers and employees who might be affected.”

Amtrak said it was notifying passengers and employees who may have been on the same train. “As a precaution, we have taken the train out of service for comprehensive cleaning and disinfection, and are also working to do a thorough disinfection of the Chicago and St. Louis stations,” the statement said."

Given the number of people who were brought home from programs in Italy, it seems like it would make sense to test them immediately (but we seem to not have enough tests for that). Locally, I know Loyola U brought home students who were studying in Rome, and so did various other local schools and U of I. And as mentioned earlier, one of the known cases in Chicago is a student who was brought home from a Vanderbilt (in Nashville) study abroad program in Italy.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/breaking/ct-coronavirus-illinois-universities-20200301-qjd35y5e7zconarnyqrwuw6njq-story.html

AmTrak has a station a block away from where I live and that train goes through here (the train goes North-South from Chicago to New Orleans). Should I panic yet?!

ETA: Nope, sorry, that is a different train... I was thinking it was the same route, but it is a bit different. And no, I wasn't going to panic anyway.

ETA again: Chicago Union Station is one of the busiest in the U.S. I don't think it is #1, but probably #2 or #3 in terms of daily passengers going through. O'Hare is a busy airport also. So obviously from those places, it can spread geographically very fast.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options

Yes that is so far correct.

future partly depends on how well those people self isolate when asked by authorities to do so.

But if any more of them follow the example of a Toorak GP (a doctor !!) who did not do so - after travelling overseas and returning with flu like symptoms, he went to work, in contact with patients, many obviously medically vulnerable, and did his nursing home visits...... :o:o

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    More on the St. Louis student (from the Chi Trib):

"Health officials in Illinois and Missouri are trying to track down who came into close contact with a St. Louis woman who tested positive for the coronavirus after flying into O’Hare International Airport, staying with a friend here, then taking an Amtrak train to her home last week.

The woman, in her 20s, flew into O’Hare on Monday and took an Amtrak train to St. Louis on Wednesday, according to Missouri and St. Louis County officials. Officials did not know where she stayed in the Chicago area, or how she got to Union Station to board the Amtrak 303 train....

Meanwhile, Amtrak issued a statement saying the rail service is “working in close contact with public health and emergency management teams to have the best available information to be able to share with our customers and employees who might be affected.”

Amtrak said it was notifying passengers and employees who may have been on the same train. “As a precaution, we have taken the train out of service for comprehensive cleaning and disinfection, and are also working to do a thorough disinfection of the Chicago and St. Louis stations,” the statement said."

Given the number of people who were brought home from programs in Italy, it seems like it would make sense to test them immediately (but we seem to not have enough tests for that). Locally, I know Loyola U brought home students who were studying in Rome, and so did various other local schools and U of I. And as mentioned earlier, one of the known cases in Chicago is a student who was brought home from a Vanderbilt (in Nashville) study abroad program in Italy.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/breaking/ct-coronavirus-illinois-universities-20200301-qjd35y5e7zconarnyqrwuw6njq-story.html

AmTrak has a station a block away from where I live and that train goes through here (the train goes North-South from Chicago to New Orleans). Should I panic yet?!

If your daily routine includes hanging around the station and hugging randos getting off of the City of New Orleans then it might be OK to panic, otherwise you're probably still OK.

I do run past the station several days per week, drive past every day, and a lot of random strangers get off the train and go past my place to get to the nearest convenience store. But no, I'm not hugging a lot of them. So I'm not panicking.
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    yes, expert on TV said you can catch it over and over again. But each time should be a lighter reaction due to immunities building up.
  • DecadeDuchess
    DecadeDuchess Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    ekim2016 wrote: »
    yes, expert on TV said you can catch it over and over again. But each time should be a lighter reaction due to immunities building up.

That's only of course, if 1 survives their 1st bout with it.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    ekim2016 wrote: »

So maybe I should hug more strangers and not less.

Problem is that first encounter with it can kill you, so... ;)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    We have our first two cases in Virginia. One was a military officer who came back from overseas and was quarantined immediately. The other was an elderly gentleman who came back from a Nile cruise. Supposedly there were also a handful of Marylanders on the same cruise that tested positive and all were handled appropriately when they arrived back.

I had dinner with my parents who are in their 70s over the weekend, and tried to feel out what their take on the situation was, and was pleasantly surprised to find they weren't panicked but also weren't buying in to the hoax thing. They are going to continue to babysit the grandkids regardless, so I just have to keep my fingers crossed those huggable little petri dishes don't give it to them.

Don't know if I would say they were all handled "appropriately" when they came back, as one individual among the Maryland cases went to a senior living community to sit shiva rather than self-quarantine, and another went to an event that I have yet to see described specifically -- it was in Pennsylvania in someone's home, but with a large attendance of both school children and school staff.

Ah, I worded that wrong, sorry. It was the two cases in VA that what I read said were handled appropriately. I actually didn't know the details of the folks in Maryland.

Ah. Sorry for misunderstanding.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,765 Member
    Options
    Los Angeles County has its first case from "community spread" as opposed to an identified source of exposure (such as travel). https://abc7.com/health/2-new-cases-of-novel-coronavirus-confirmed-in-la-county/5997738/
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »
    Los Angeles County has its first case from "community spread" as opposed to an identified source of exposure (such as travel). https://abc7.com/health/2-new-cases-of-novel-coronavirus-confirmed-in-la-county/5997738/

Tonight on the news I heard several times that once community spread is happening, containment is no longer an option and the focus must shift to mitigation.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,970 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Tonight on the news I heard several times that once community spread is happening, containment is no longer an option and the focus must shift to mitigation.

Right, I mean yeah they can encourage all the mitigation techniques...I guess it's a bit of a semantics thing. I don't think it was ever going to be "contained" as long as people live together, work together etc., but that's a term that is thrown around a lot, maybe just not by the WHO or CDC. Once it jumped continents it was Katy-bar-the-door.

Mitigation...how does one measure the success rate of mitigation?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

That makes good sense. One in KY works at a Walmart and the one today in GA was a teacher with a lot of student and staff interactions. It is the retirement age group that suffers the most risk of death.