March 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,645 Member
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    So I'm going to start training, and see what happens. Have till June to actually decide.
    Am I going to run an accidental marathon?

Sounds very wise. And remember, if you decide that’s you’re not ready to run a full, there’s no shame in running a half instead - better than getting an injury too.

Don’t you have unfinished business with the Wellington Half?
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    So I'm going to start training, and see what happens. Have till June to actually decide.
    Am I going to run an accidental marathon?

Sounds very wise. And remember, if you decide that’s you’re not ready to run a full, there’s no shame in running a half instead - better than getting an injury too.

Don’t you have unfinished business with the Wellington Half?

Yep! Wellington was my first ever half I did back in 2011, that was hell. I would have quit at 15k except my ride home was at the finish line haha. I was completely unprepared. It was wet, cold and windy. It took me 3hrs 7 mins... So I would like to do it again and slay that demon haha. But slaying it with a marathon would be amazing. I've always said I wouldnt do one because of the time commitment, but looking at that novice plan, the time isn't THAT bad. My kids are older and I feel less guilty being away from them, and my husband is more supportive as well. The hardest one would be that 30k run a few weeks before hand, but I'm also happy to go out at 7am to start the run, or earlier. It's just the idea of running for 4.5hrs...
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    @PastorVincent and everyone talking about all the salt!

I am today years old when I learned that my face is gritty and my legs had white “sand,” (so i thought) all over them yesterday

Bahahahaha
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,654 Member
    @noblsheep hey! Glad to hear you're ok and things are getting under control. Yeah, it's starting to get worrying round here... Italy just went into lockdown, and Spain is starting to close schools in some areas. Pffft.

@Avidkeo sorry, not sorry :-p I won't be joining you this year though, my legs aren't up to that much mileage yet. I DID say 2028 LOL!
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member

@Avidkeo sorry, not sorry :-p I won't be joining you this year though, my legs aren't up to that much mileage yet. I DID say 2028 LOL!

Bahaha lol yeah you did. Your comment came at the same time that I ran 14k for fun and realised that I'd quite happily go further. And 14k is just over 1/3 of the way through a full.... I honestly think I'll be sensible and just do the half, but it's fun to toy with the idea of a full and no reason I can't work towards it and drop to a half so makes sense
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    @noblsheep hey! Glad to hear you're ok and things are getting under control. Yeah, it's starting to get worrying round here... Italy just went into lockdown, and Spain is starting to close schools in some areas. Pffft.
    Poland's government just called off "all mass gatherings". I'm guessing that means I can forget about the half marathon I just YESTERDAY did the last long run for and figured out all of the logistics of getting there & back :(

Great news from @noblsheep though! Hopefully the rest of the world will quickly follow suit, and everyone can get back to normal.

I was thinking the same thing about the Marathon in May. USA is still on the early side of the infection curve. By May we might be in the height of it. :(
  • eleanorhawkins
    Poland's government just called off "all mass gatherings". I'm guessing that means I can forget about the half marathon I just YESTERDAY did the last long run for and figured out all of the logistics of getting there & back :(

@polskagirl01 have your race organisers announced anything one way or the other? I'm obsessively checking the website and facebook for mine. If they cancel either of them, you and I can still race each other from a distance so we've done our training for SOMETHING. You can beat me with your eyes closed mind lol
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,944 Member
    @noblsheep Glad things are slowly getting back to normal. I hope the rest of the world can avoid having as big of a crisis, even though that isn't looking promising.

Sorry that it looks like your HM will be canceled @polskagirl01 . That stinks. Maybe you can do a virtual one instead.

@TheMrWobbly II never thought that I would ever inspire anyone with my running "ability." That made my day. Thanks.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    @Tramboman you would fit in great here... everyone in southern Spain truly believes they will melt if they get rained on! When we went to Galicia (opposite end of the country, where the weather is a lot wetter) last Easter, my husband was amazed to see people working in the rain (you know, construction workers, road works, street cleaners... anyone working outdoors) and he asked the taxi driver how come they were working. Guy replied "well we'd never get anything done otherwise, would we!" His face was a picture.

That is pretty much how it is here in Pittsburgh, PA, USA too.
  • eleanorhawkins

@polskagirl01 have your race organisers announced anything one way or the other? I'm obsessively checking the website and facebook for mine. If they cancel either of them, you and I can still race each other from a distance so we've done our training for SOMETHING. You can beat me with your eyes closed mind lol

Race organizers haven't said anything, I'm just going by the government press conference that happened a couple hours ago. We'll have to see how it works out in the details and who knows, *maybe* this event is small enough to not count.
    But if it's really canceled, I'll definitely be timing my run to coincide with yours.

Ugh, we're now in a similar place... Spanish athletics federation just announced that the government has warned them they're putting a series of measures into place which are going to affect all sporting events.
    So far 4 regions have decided to close schools for a fortnight as of tomorrow.
    This is going to sound self-centred as hell, but I have a race on the 22nd and a holiday at Easter and both are looked pretty *kitten* right now.