Coronavirus prep

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    @MikePfirrman Understood and appreciated. Everything we do right now affects the concentric circles around us.
    We need to work together to flatten the curve and slow the spread. While it may be difficult to plan ahead we need to think fast on our feet on a day-by-day basis. This is not the uzhe (usual) flu and it's not business as normal. Sticking our heads in the sand won't fix anything. We need to adapt to the daily changes.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    amtyrell wrote: »
    If it is a nice day where you are can I encourage you all to get outside even if just to your yard or local park. I am not sure and the evidence is not in for covid-19 but Vitamin D in normal get some sun every day levels been shown to help immune system fight off other viruses. Also a bit of fresh air and exercise helps with anxiety, depression. So yeah get outside if at all possible at least 20 minutes a day.
    I ran out of vitamin d. Didn’t even think about stocking up on vitamins. Now the question is: stay home alone, or go out and take a chance to get the very vitamins that might save me. Guess I need to go find some dice to roll.

I get all my vitamins online. I used to use iherb.com a lot, but since moved to Amazon and Emerson Ecologics (you have to be some sort of medical provider to use this site - I'm ordering via my aunt.)

If Amazon is out of stock, I'd recommend iherb.com.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited March 2020
    File this one away, but I thought it to be very helpful. Vacuum bags and tea towels are a potential simple solution for cheap for a DIY mask for the most at risk. This found a Tea Towel, double layer, protects as well as a mask.

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/best-materials-make-diy-face-mask-virus/
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    The kids old dance studio is closing it’s doors and doing online instruction, she’s also going above and beyond with extra activity ideas to do just for fun.

They had masks at harbor freight yesterday, didn’t buy any. Hubby said we should have, even to keep in the car for my daughter whose breathing is getting more and more sensitive. There have been two instances, not illness related, in the last two weeks where we could have used one for her.

What is the purpose of a disposable filter layer if you have multiple layers of tight weave fabric that can be washed? (Truly asking, trying to decide what pattern to use)
  • avisitant
    avisitant Posts: 38 Member
    Maryland closing bars and restaurants at 5 pm today (3/16).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    I heard from one of my high school friends today - we are planning on getting together online since we can’t meet up in person this year. He’s concerned about his mom who is in a nursing home which stopped accepting visitors to prevent exposure.

I made reassuring noises, but what bothers me about his mother’s situation is that I remember when my own dad was in a nursing home and the staff were completely untrustworthy. Once when I came for a visit I found my dad’s dinner tray sitting untouched on a table across the room from him - he wasn’t ambulatory and needed help with eating - they were just bringing in the tray and leaving it out of his reach, then taking it away again later so that he was actually starving. The “speech therapist” claimed she was “having great sessions” with him after he became completely non-verbal so I checked up on her, and her idea of a great session was sitting in silence reading a book to herself and then charging our insurance for a session. Since my dad had MRSA I asked for gloves to visit, and they didn’t know where the supply of gloves was. So yeah, it’s not like they were using them when changing IVs or fiddling with a picc line. Only by making sure someone visited every day at random times did he stay alive, and when I got a cold and couldn’t come for a week, not surprisingly he died. And the thing is, I talked to a friend who is an RN about what to do about the place, and did some research, and found - none of this was news, they were already under warnings for all kinds of violations - but they were the only place we could get my father into and we weren’t able to keep caring for him at home. And even if we had been able to pick a different home, pretty much every place else had a long list of the same kinds of violations, and according to my nurse friend it was standard practice to just sort of blow off care, since the staff felt that the residents were “circling the drain” anyway, why try?

So now, all across the US, these same staff members are in charge with no family members to keep tabs on them. They haven’t suddenly changed and become better people. They aren’t any better trained, or smarter, or more conscientious, they just know they don’t have to worry about what things look like when someone’s kid or spouse shows up. Some of them are the same staffs you have seen on the news in past years letting old people sit covered by filthy flood water after disasters, or not bothering to move them across the street to a hospital when their power went out and grandma’s ventilator stopped working. And now all across America they know no one is watching to make sure they do their jobs, plus, they are suddenly the front line who are supposed to be preventing the spread of deadly disease.

Yes, the staff in my OH's mother's nursing home weren't criminally neglectful like above, but I'm sure her experience was improved by his daily visits and interactions with the staff.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    @ snowflake954 -- this might help you keep abreast of things going on. It's a recent shared resource for all the latest research going on for COVID-19

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/research/coronavirus/
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,982 Member
    This is going to be a rather interesting experiment with my company, who only last year began introducing flexible work options. We'll see just how flexible they're willing to go. I can hear the supervisors in a meeting now in the conference room next to my office, and it sounds like they are discussing it.

I am glad that I work in a remote, small service center and not the company main headquarters. They canceled a group meeting planned for the week after next, which I hadn't planned on attending in person anyway because of obligations at home. I canceled my doctor's appointment in Morgantown that was set for the first of April; it was just a routine checkup anyway. that was the only other reason I had to need to travel north to the HQ. Other than kind of needing to make a trip to another service center to pick up some monitors, I don't need to go anywhere else.