The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Options

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Hi Friends,
    Happy to see you @dbanks80 yes binge drinking is such a curse; it's devastating to the soul, sleep, body and mind. I remember how it makes me feel hopeless the next day.
    @JenT304 That's awesome!
    @whitpauly Proud of you!! You are strong and wonderful!
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    Today is my 30 day mark. I've also been on strict bed rest for a month, & have another 3-4 weeks to go. It has been such a physical, mental, & emotional drain, that I am equally shocked & thankful that I've been able to do it without alcohol in the mix.

That must have been so trying to be on bed rest. I'm sure you have gained strength in many ways. On to a new life! I'm sure you have the strength to take it one day at a time. xo
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    Ke22yB wrote: »
    Good morning all food for thought as to motivation I don’t post much but read everything here
    In May I am 12 years AF and 😀160 pounds lighter I am 72 swim 1.5 miles a day and run most days also I have a hat that says Older than Dirt because people continually ask “ how old are you or why are doing that at your age?”
    With Coronavirus a lot of my peers are staying home because of comprised immune system or respiratory problems. I never imagined that being fit would have these benefits but I am really glad it does
    We can’t foretell what benefits we will have in the future but it’s worth thinking about when you have harder times staying AF.
    Our health is the gift that keeps on giving

I always enjoy seeing your posts! :)
  • RubyRed427
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Rhiwills76 wrote: »
    Can I join please.At, never been a big drinker as I rarely go out but when I do I make up for it and it gets veryou very messy which then leads to a massive dip in my mental health.
    The hardest part of giving up alcohol for me is peer pressure and confidence,my friends just don't understandand someone going out and not drinking and because I suffer from social anxiety alcohol just makes everything easier...until the next day.

I can relate in many ways. IT gets very messy- good expression. I had to take some time alone to see who my true friends are and who my bar friends are.
    And what I mean by "bar friends"... they can be friends you've known for year but all you seem to do is go out and drink. You even skip dinners out.... just straight to appetizers and drinking. I asked one of my friends recently to go to Starbucks instead of drinks. It was almost awkward because we relate to each other best with a few drinks in us.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    donimfp wrote: »
    Hey guys. Checking in. I’m not drinking and enjoying my job. A few health issues like weird foot pain but otherwise ok. I read posts here every day but have limited phone access. Still, y’all keep me going so thanks!! Looking forward to good blood work in a few weeks. Only problem working in lockup is low vitamin D. Spring break next week so hello sunshine.

I'm so gonna lay in the sun when it warms up more and get that vitD! Jen,4 pounds is great!😍 Have a great AF day all
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. Corona Virus affecting all our communities I’m sure. My particular school is strange because students are locked up. Spring Break starts today for teachers. We don’t know if we’ll be allowed back in after that. Let’s all stay healthy, sane, and alcohol free.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    All the bars and restaurants are closed here in Illinois. My bday is Friday and I planned a trip to ATL to see my sister now that is cancelled. My bday is going to suck this year. I did schedule a mani/pedi right now and I am going to my appt. I need something to feel good and get out of the house.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    All the bars and restaurants are closed here in Illinois. My bday is Friday and I planned a trip to ATL to see my sister now that is cancelled. My bday is going to suck this year. I did schedule a mani/pedi right now and I am going to my appt. I need something to feel good and get out of the house.

Happy birthday to YOU!! Yes, you will need to do something really nice for yourself like mani/pedi, and maybe make something special like lobster tail (if you like that).... and a beautiful cake. It does suck to have a birthday right now but at least we are blessed to be able to celebrate. <3
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    our governor just changed an old law that made sure trucks designated and designed to deliver beer and alcohol can now deliver food supplies to stores here in Texas that are empty later on in the day...........so I guess alcohol will be in short supply for a while.....

best wishes to all.......
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    dbanks80 wrote: »

Happy birthday to YOU!! Yes, you will need to do something really nice for yourself like mani/pedi, and maybe make something special like lobster tail (if you like that).... and a beautiful cake. It does suck to have a birthday right now but at least we are blessed to be able to celebrate. <3

You are right in saying that. I am thankful and blessed to see another birthday! And yes I love lobster tail!! LOL!
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    lloydrt wrote: »
    our governor just changed an old law that made sure trucks designated and designed to deliver beer and alcohol can now deliver food supplies to stores here in Texas that are empty later on in the day...........so I guess alcohol will be in short supply for a while.....

best wishes to all.......

I belong to a FB group for our local small city called "In & Around Town." Lots of buzz on there about our local LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario) reducing their business hours & comments about how that will only serve to have larger numbers of people in a shorter amount of hours thereby being a bigger threat to the health of others...BUT the majority of comments seemed to be about the DREAD that our LCBO will actually close down and people will have to go without. Some also pointed out that could be life or death for those who have an actual physical dependence on alcohol. WOW!! I am SO thankful to be AF. LIke @VeggieGirlforLife, I did think of how if this happened during my drinking days I would be hoarding wine for sure. I have not yet gotten panicked and stockpiled anything, but I may actually go and buy some TP today as I am getting low LOL It is so much easier to handle anxious times while sober. Drinking just increases the anxiety of everything OR just makes me plain anxious...thankful to be free!!
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Our province is pretty much shutting down for business. I wondered how my job would fair being self employed and providing a well-needed service, which is a bit of a mixed bag. Most of my clients for this week have cancelled due to recent travel outside of Canada & their self-quarantined status, so I get a stay-cation!! It is what it is & my faith in our Creator keeps me calm. SO I am also thankful for that. Lots of time in the coming days to count our blessings and not get muddled down with the what if's of this situation. I hope everyone is well and taking advantage of this time to reflect & appreciate the smaller things in life. <3
  • kcn2bluesky
    kcn2bluesky Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hi, Everyone!

Count me in as another person grateful to be AF, especially during these crazy and unprecedented times we are living! As we were taking stock of food and supplies we have at the house, and figuring out what we need to get our family through for a few weeks, I found myself so grateful to have quit drinking in Jan 2018. If I hadn't, I would be super stressed trying to stock up on wine. I would be stressed about rationing it, too, in fear of running out. I have much better coping skills without the alcohol.

Oddly, as thankful as I am that I quit drinking, I have found myself thinking about drinking here & there, though. I logically know it won't solve any problems, but some part of my brain still kicks in every once in awhile and seems to think it might be a good idea to have a couple glasses of wine. I don't know if this is common or not, but this is what seems to happen with me when I am super stressed out.

Ok, thanks for being here friends! I hope you are all doing well, and staying healthy.

Karen