WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2020

Options

Replies

• SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Kylia, thank you for sharing the beautiful flowers. Daffodils are my absolute favorite. So cheerful and bright
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    @bananasandoranges I agree it will be longer than a few weeks. The researchers are now stating we should be prepared for the hospitals to be strained across the country in the next eight weeks.
    It's one of the reasons I feel so strongly about posting here and have been attempting to keep those that do not need to be in public places home.
    There is a big difference between a need and a want. It's something I keep telling myself. And, have been finding creative ways to keep myself busy and sane.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    USA- Still many cities to areas don’t have kind helpful neighbors.I did when I lived in small country towns but not the cities.

Will folks change? Won’t matter their ages.Like any disaster some go back to their ignorant existence like it never happened the me me me attitudes are hard to shake for them.
    Some will change be kinder, be grateful,learn that living with less isn’t a bad thing how to survive on less ,keep stuff stocked up more, y have knowledge for the next generations someday. Stock up on rainy day money if possible. Live with less need to go out for a good time for some.
    Will the governments still be greedy? Of course.
    Stores may choose to change how their buisness practices work to have a disaster time plan saved up.
    Schools will still be money driven jerks who forget their caring teachers y students needs.
    Medical facilities will change their ordering procedures to stock on hand.
    Worlds finances will be hit hard more in some areas than others.
    Husbands will complain less as we hoard lol 😂
    Places may start adding more no touch sliding doors to no magazine in waiting areas bring your own books. The types of masks they use may change.

Amber Tx
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    Options
    https://youtu.be/DW4B7s2ZdBg

Looks like our grocery store lines at the beginning.This is how Amazon is handling the changes. UPS y mail y Walmart other stores are also hiring more trying to fill demands

Amber Tx
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    kymarai wrote: »
    @bananasandoranges - our governor petioned the courts to change voting due to not making people chose between health and civic duty. The courts said no. He used his executive power and closed polls anyway! People can vote via mail with requested ballot until June, I think. I had already done absentee ballots. I chose that way so my husband can vote. Being legally blind, they won't allow me to help at the polls and he doesn't trust the poll workers. Absentee makes it easier. I am sad that you aren't given that option.

@kymarai i did vote in the primaries in the usa online.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    kymarai wrote: »

@bananasandoranges - I hope that the lessons learned when we get back to "normal" will include better planning for emergencies. For example, those who went through the depression always have stock for months. Also hoping a more supportive attitude toward the small community businesses. Already in the US, the trend for restaurants was leaning toward those family owned with fresh ingredients versus "chains" and fast foods. Heck, it costs as much for my husband and I to eat at a fast food place as it does to go get a great burger at some of our smaller restaurants. What I would like to see is more compassion toward each other, healthier life choices, and more intentional down time.

Good point. it's true my folks, now passed, born in the late 1920s were frugal and often had stock, not necessarily for months (there were 7 of us with 5 kids and 2 parents + visitors, friends, etc), but they did plan in advance. my dad expected the "breakdown of civilization" during the oil crises and bought canned and boxed food to last 2-6 months at least for a family of 7 but it never happened and we used to always tease him about that. then my sister, a homesteader, prepared for Y2K, learned to farm, weave, spin, raise chicks and pigs, etc. and her son and husband learned to hunt, whereas we were from the suburbs of boston, really not hunters and farmers. (a little light gardening, ok). then she integrated back into regular life with city job and theater etc.

i dont even know if most remote people (homesteaders) will do best. they should be most removed from virus but if they need help (snow-removal - still very possible need where she lives, medical care, shopping care if they both - in their mid/late 60s get ill even for a week or so..) it may be harder.

@ginnytez thanks for the shout out <3 it's true we have lived through this before. back then it was in WW1 trenches though so just as contagious no doubt, (and also so international), and they were even worse than this time round about being truthful about it back then due to war.

@kymarai good for your governor for doing the right thing! the initial response seems to be governments that are choosing quickly to help people (at least somewhat, at least some people). even very free-market oriented leaders. That seems a good thing, at least for these first weeks.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    USA- Still many cities to areas don’t have kind helpful neighbors.I did when I lived in small country towns but not the cities.

Will folks change? Won’t matter their ages.Like any disaster some go back to their ignorant existence like it never happened the me me me attitudes are hard to shake for them.
    Some will change be kinder, be grateful,learn that living with less isn’t a bad thing how to survive on less ,keep stuff stocked up more, y have knowledge for the next generations someday. Stock up on rainy day money if possible. Live with less need to go out for a good time for some.
    Will the governments still be greedy? Of course.
    Stores may choose to change how their buisness practices work to have a disaster time plan saved up.
    Schools will still be money driven jerks who forget their caring teachers y students needs.
    Medical facilities will change their ordering procedures to stock on hand.
    Worlds finances will be hit hard more in some areas than others.
    Husbands will complain less as we hoard lol 😂
    Places may start adding more no touch sliding doors to no magazine in waiting areas bring your own books. The types of masks they use may change.

Amber Tx

thanks for all these thoughts Amber
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,610 Member
    Options
    <3
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    QUESTION :How do you think this period will have changed society, positively and negatively or mixedly, in medium and long term when we are allowed back to regular life? In one year? In 5 years? What do you think will have likely changed definitively or semi-definitively?

I have pondered this, as well.

In our country, shaking hands, when you first meet someone, or giving someone a high-five when they've done something great, is quite common. I am not sure I will ever shake anyone's hand again. I have already started a namaste greeting, and I think I will stick with it. My husband and I were watching the last James Corden with a live audience the other night, and John Cena was a guest. He literally high-fived every single person on the aisle he ran down to get to the stage. My husband and I both literally groaned. I said "Gross." I will never see contact like that as acceptable again.

Brick and mortar retail stores were already struggling, and I think this may have been the death stroke for many of them. I am not particularly happy about that because I have no great affection for Jeff Bezos or Amazon (despite their current ad campaign of -- "hey we're just bringing together a group of cottage industries, aren't we great?") But I think it will be a fact of life.

Food/grocery delivery is here to stay, if there was any doubt. Even my 80 year old mother is now ordering her groceries online and having them delivered. (She's been self-isolating for nearly four weeks now. She is an example to us all!)

What we accept as "community" and "social interaction" has changed. We had multiple zoom meetings this week at work, and I feel even closer to my colleagues now. I have seen inside their homes, their pets, heard their kids running around. We banter and joke much more, because we are more relaxed in our home situations than we are when we are wandering around our offices. I even feel some of that with the news reporters that I've grown used to watching. Or Colbert, who did three "shows" from his home this past week. It has made even distant people seem more like people and not just talking heads, if that makes sense, and I feel closer to them.

My family is closer. I have been talking to my mother every morning for about six weeks now. Usually I do it from work at about 10:00 a.m., but since I've been home, others in the family have been joining me for the call. Yesterday, for example, all three boys were listening in and sharing their greetings. In the past, they would have just relied on me to convey any news between them.

What things am I missing?? What else have you all noticed?

Much love.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, Oregon

i miss physical greetings and look forward to their return, but i think the beginning of the end of the virus we will not be sure and some people will be wary. others will not.
    i agree about brick and mortar and i think it's a real shame. i don't buy much online. only when it's really hard to be live for some or another reason;
    i still buy live but i guess i will order more if the delivery staff is still numerous enough. i think for fruit and veggies i prefer to choose still. good for your mom!

interesting about the zoom meetings. my schools are the pits in terms of information-sharing, BUT i had phone meetings with each of my students and there was a different sort of follow-up that i think can be seen as positive.

i didn't see colbert, but i saw jimmy kimmel (very funny- he looks zoned out with his 2 young kids) and trevor noah - looks like he has serious cabin fever and may be 100% alone. nice.

i don't know yet. i feel like i've been a bit struck and in semi-emergency mode, trying to make do.

i think consumerism will be in big decline. and many people may lose jobs as companies discover much can be done online (and thus outsourced to countries with cheaper labor), even some of teaching.
    Well over 10 years ago i saw an ad in france for English teachers to teach French employees in France, on the phone, but to do it living in Marocco, so as to receive a much lower pay- not even a high pay for marocco, but a living pay (just enough to pay for studio apartment rent and buy food, and get by probably normally). i think that will very much be on the uprise. many companies have reduced costs these next months- some may benefit from this financially.

here people clap every evening at 8pm: the idea is to applaud the medical community. but it's clearly- i'm sure- also just for us to feel alive, to connect, to relate...

presumably just after getting out, gathering will be seen as much more precious.
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,610 Member
    Options
    Our church has been doing online services. Theyvrequest pictures so they have faces to see. It was great that folks shared the come as you are attitude! Pajamas, sweats, pets, and kids! Inspiring!
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    Options
    Precautions: Hopefully it was unnecessary to do

Got done packing emergency hospital bags for hubby me y JR. Only 1 adult can go with a child then can’t leave or be brought anything. So Disper bag full. Purse full. 1 seperate bag for hubby y me. If need be he can open add more last second I can grab stuff in another bag real fast for myself but might not have time.
    ℹ packed:
    1 jar peanut butter big for hubby tiny in mine.
    1 mask 😷
    Few meds cause they may be in short supply don’t expect them to have Tylenol for you to throat sprays .Or flu meds is f you get sick being there.
    Washable pads (in case) y hair brush y lip balm
    2-3sets if clothes (wash in hospital sink or shower hang after a week worth of wearing so it’s not in nurses way or cleaners.
    Guest toothbrush,bar soap 🧼 3,nail clipper 1,toothpaste 1 or 3 travel sizes,y some wet wipes Incase no to for butt only. A perennial bottle for me cause periods.Deoderant
    1 pair of flip flops
    Money 💵 in my purse 👜 (not taking if I’m ill tho) y keys ,diapers y wipes JR clothes extras,y more meds
    Hubby always has wallet y keys nearby y his meds

JRs diapers,1 blanket, 3 tiny packets of cookies, toothbrush,toothpaste, (boy so no comb needed shave the head later if it grows out) ,his lotion, sipper cup,diapers y wet wipes,shot records, y plastic bags . (Masks don’t fit him yet the pediatric ones hospital has hopefully.) ,y anything in there I don’t know about.

It’s just in case only. If not needed praise God if needed we’re ready. On blackboard in hospital children ward I’ll write down emergency number for hubby,Daughter y my Dad in case.

I put documents to jewelry stuff out of site hidden in case doors left open by accident as emergency vehicles leave. Happened during my placental abruption.They thought it licked luckily hubby arrived quickly so was secured,but might not be as lucky next time.

———-

Emptied soaps y shampoo bottles into each other put full ones away.Will add water to the emptied ones use a few times toss or keep to refill with bigger bottles or homemade cleaners even

———

Tired but accomplished a lot. Later after a rest maybe dust my chairs wipe them down around the table. If not then tomorrow.

Amber Tx