Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    The CA bay area is a hot spot right now, but the beaches were still crowded yesterday. I honestly wonder if people think they can't get infected if they're outdoors?

I'm in the Sacramento area, kids and young adults have still been playing sports at the parks.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    @BarbaraHelen2013 I've been wanting to pull out and reread The Stand too! I just finished a few Robin Cook (medical thrillers) though they weren't related to an outbreak.
  • DecadeDuchess
    DecadeDuchess Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    A lockdown will save everyone. The govt. can plead people to stay indoor but many will continue to go shopping, to restaurants, to beaches and heaven know where else.

There is also a danger that if everything would come to a halt, small business owners will be devastated.

It is a lose-lose situation for everyone.

A lockdown won't save everyone. It will hopefully reduce the number of serious cases so that medical facilities can either ramp up for the demand or find a better way to treat the serious cases but that is all. I believe people will be dying from this for years after life returns to "normal".

Some are saying that this could cause permanent lung damage.

Especially for smokers, that's though if they survive.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    To all here in the US, don’t forget to do your census so they don’t have to visit in person. It will save unnecessary exposures.

I read an editorial that they are talking about postponing the deadline.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    traffic hasn't slowed down where I am. I live right on the main federal road and it was typically busy all weekend and today - I'm sitting here in my living room listening to traffic going up and down the road.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    My province has declared a state of emergency as of yesterday. Gatherings are limited to 5. On the weekend I took an inventory of my freezer and cupboard and meal planned for 4 weeks on that. The only thing I will need to go and get is milk. I just need to make sure I stick to it and don't go into a store for sometime I want. I need to work only going in for what I need. I have no reason to be going in!! I will also soon be working from home. I just need to be set up to do it. It's going to be hard being home all day, not seeing anyone. At least I can still get out and run.
  • ataleforthetimebeing
    ataleforthetimebeing Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    angf0679 wrote: »
    My province has declared a state of emergency as of yesterday. Gatherings are limited to 5. On the weekend I took an inventory of my freezer and cupboard and meal planned for 4 weeks on that. The only thing I will need to go and get is milk. I just need to make sure I stick to it and don't go into a store for sometime I want. I need to work only going in for what I need. I have no reason to be going in!! I will also soon be working from home. I just need to be set up to do it. It's going to be hard being home all day, not seeing anyone. At least I can still get out and run.

They are soon going to stop all inter-province travel as well. I think some people in Ontario can take the lockdown a bit more seriously.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »
    Indiana update!

Tested: 1,960
    Confirmed: 259
    Deaths: 7

The cases are for sure clustered so far. You have Lake County which is the most North West county right there by Chicago. Then you have Marion County (where I work) which is where Indianapolis is along with some surrounding counties including the one I live in. So I am actually in a hot spot right now in the state. Wonderful. Great. Awesome.

I put in an Instacart order for Friday. Just for a handful of items I would like to have like fresh fruit and veggies. Will I get it all? I doubt it, but I had to try. I can't get out early during the week and I really don't want to try and do a weekend morning for my own health.

Plus... I may be getting sick. Hard to tell because I have horrible allergies and I know THOSE are picking up. But I slept a TON yesterday and am still feeling so fatigued today. Then again, I also have chronic fatigue so... It stinks. I am going to treat this as me getting ill and take precautions. No fever, but I have read a few stories where people have a cough, sore throat, and the like before getting the fever so can't really use that to be sure.

Do take extra precautions, but remember that even the stress of all this can trigger your ME symptoms.
  • DecadeDuchess
    DecadeDuchess Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Unlike New Zealand's government, the US isn't ensuring that those housebound via disabilities and/or poverty've access to food by delivering rations to us themselves & with grocery delivery not including enough of what I order, I've to rely upon restaurant delivery to survive.

However it's been expensive, nearly ½ of my grocery budget has gone to delivery fees, tips & paying regular prices because I am unable to wait, for something to go upon sale.

Ironically my apartment complex just put a county notice within my door, concerning providing food for seniors & those with disabilities but unfortunately, this doesn't include the poor.

I've enough this month & hope to next month but at least it's an option going forth, if/when necessary.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Even a continuing social distancing will not last for too long, if DT has his ways...

Trump itching to scale back social distancing after 15 day-period, aides say
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/23/politics/trump-coronavirus-15-days-social-distancing/index.html