Options

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    COGypsy wrote: »
    @AnnPT77 my pastor just put out a call saying his wife is asking church members to help her make masks based upon a few patterns she's found online. Are these masks considered disposable, or can they be washed and re-used, or bleached or something?
    That’s my question... because, I admit quite selfishly, I don’t want to use my pretty fabric if they are just going to be tossed :neutral: I have a resource for quite a bit of older fabric I was told I could have, though!

ETA: thanks for the added info! I was posting and hubby came in from work so there was a few minutes lag, enough time for others to chime in!

My mother and I were just laughing yesterday about people making fabric masks. We're pretty sure every quilter on the planet of Earth is probably chortling about how this is the time they've been waiting for all their lives--a deep societal need for items made from all the fabric remnants they've been stashing for years! :D

I know the introverts thought this was their time to shine, but it looks like it's the quilters that are going to save the world!

Being a crafter myself, I feel like the Venn diagram of quilters and introverts has a pretty decent-sized overlap.

There are a bunch of introverts who don't quilt . . . but my experience suggests that quite a fraction of quilters are introverts. ;)

My mother quilted at home alone, but for my grandmother, aunt, and sister, it is at least in part a social pursuit. Of course they work on stuff at home alone, but they also work together on projects with other people, sometimes quilting a single quilt together (what used to be called a quilting bee), other times getting together for classes on new techniques for making blocks, or going on trips together to various quilting destinations, gathering for quilt shows, etc.

Respectfully, I don't think socializing (or not) is the measure of introversion.

I'm extremely very introverted, and I socialize - I'm kind of OK at it, actually, happily talking to strangers, being assertive when needful, have plenty friends of various cognitive styles, all that stuff. Yes, most crafters have gatherings available to them, and they're well-attended. I attend some (local and statewide versions), plus regional/national shows and whatnot for my crafts. That's fun.

In my understanding, and oversimplifying, introversion vs. extroversion is more about mental orientation toward one's own thoughts and perceptions, vs. orientation to external interactions. Still overgeneralizing, introverts tend to spend energy while socializing, while extroverts gain energy while socializng. On that same cartoonish kind of continuum, introverts are more likely to feel contented in solo activity, and extroverts more likely to become bored more rapidly. Most people are at no particular extreme of these, but are on some kind of continuum, sometimes in different spots at different times/situations.

I'm not saying that no extrovert quilts/crafts. They do. But, based on the pretty large number of crafters I know - including quilters, which I have in the past been one of myself - the percentage of introverts is higher in the crafts-hobby world than in the overall population. (Yes, this is not a scientific sample.) This is the case even among the crafters I know who are quite social, i.e., pursue lots of group crafting activities.

Bringing this whole tiresome ramble back to the thread: I'm at home alone, watching local friends through Facebook, phone calls, text messages, etc.

Those more introverted are sometimes very anxious about the virus and what will happen, but otherwise kind of "it's a pain that I don't get to see my friends for crafting except on Skype/Zoom, but at least I have plenty of supplies, so meh". The extroverts are much more clearly under stress from isolation, even those who don't live alone. They're posting things like (real quote) "I miss hugs from everyone. Sorry just feeling so isolated." And that's someone who's more self aware: Some of my friends are obviously working out distress through things like unfocused anger, over-drinking, etc.

I don't understand in my gut how it feels to be an extrovert, but I sympathize with (and am concerned for) my more extroverted friends, in a different way than I'm concerned for my more introverted friends.

Point taken on introvert/extrovert being an internal state. I made my judgment based on what I saw in people seeking out social situations and appearing to genuinely enjoy them, and assuming that was a reflection of genuine desire for social interaction, which to me seems like an odd desire to have on a fairly regular basis (typically the quilters I know have gone to at least one weekly quilt-related social event, on top of other social things in their life) if it's a draining experience. But I don't think most of us know that many people well enough to really know what's going on inside their heads. I don't doubt some of them are faking enjoyment in social situations. I fake it sometimes myself. But I don't usually seek out on a repeating basis situations in which I have to fake enjoyment and disguise the fact that it's a draining experience.
    That’s not quite it, though (introvert here). There’s a difference between feeling drained by socializing and faking enjoyment. I enjoy the heck out of many social situations. Then I go home and collapse and need to recharge. Extroverts feel charged by socializing.

I think this example comes from a Myer/Briggs book I read a while ago. Imagine an introvert and an extrovert trying to get some studying done at a library. The introvert gets tired by having to interact with other people at the library and wants to go sit alone with a book to recharge. The extrovert gets exhausted from sitting alone with the book and looks for excuses to take a study break so she can go talk to someone to recharge.

OK. I've been drained in social situations. I don't find that enjoyable. I guess everyone's different, though, so again, my point on making assumptions about what's going on inside other people's heads.

What happens for me (and why I think I am slightly more introvert than extrovert, although not strongly so) is that after interacting a lot with people I often feel tired/overwhelmed and like I need to recharge, but during the actual interacting it's usually pleasurable.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Last night around 8 pm there was a big thunderstorm, and towards the end of it our power went out. Uninterrupted power supply beeping, lights flashed on and off for about thirty seconds before finally giving up the ghost. If you had been at my house you would have heard my husband and me screaming and shouting and calling on the name of Jesus. We JUST finally found meat at the grocery and spent a whole bunch of money so as not to have to go shopping for a while! We sat in darkness for about thirty seconds, then like a miracle, the lights came back on. Heartfelt prayers of thanksgiving.

According to the outage map, most of our neighbors - about 4000 of them - weren’t so lucky. Of those about 400 still don’t have power at 2 pm the next day. Bye bye anything perishable that’s not in a freezer, and that’s starting to be long enough to shorten the life of freezer food. I wonder how many lost a whole load of groceries which they couldn’t afford to buy all at once and will have to risk their lives running all over town trying to replace.

Just a small disaster, made bigger by proximity to a larger disaster. And it’s just the start of tornado warning season!

Up here, we had the rain/thunderstorm, then the tornado sirens were going off as well. Fortunately, we didn't lose power.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    For those needing haircuts, super easy if it has some length to it:

https://youtu.be/FAmE16ej9IU

You can probably find tutorials for shorter hair too.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »
    @AnnPT77 my pastor just put out a call saying his wife is asking church members to help her make masks based upon a few patterns she's found online. Are these masks considered disposable, or can they be washed and re-used, or bleached or something?
    That’s my question... because, I admit quite selfishly, I don’t want to use my pretty fabric if they are just going to be tossed :neutral: I have a resource for quite a bit of older fabric I was told I could have, though!

ETA: thanks for the added info! I was posting and hubby came in from work so there was a few minutes lag, enough time for others to chime in!

My mother and I were just laughing yesterday about people making fabric masks. We're pretty sure every quilter on the planet of Earth is probably chortling about how this is the time they've been waiting for all their lives--a deep societal need for items made from all the fabric remnants they've been stashing for years! :D

I know the introverts thought this was their time to shine, but it looks like it's the quilters that are going to save the world!

Being a crafter myself, I feel like the Venn diagram of quilters and introverts has a pretty decent-sized overlap.

There are a bunch of introverts who don't quilt . . . but my experience suggests that quite a fraction of quilters are introverts. ;)

My mother quilted at home alone, but for my grandmother, aunt, and sister, it is at least in part a social pursuit. Of course they work on stuff at home alone, but they also work together on projects with other people, sometimes quilting a single quilt together (what used to be called a quilting bee), other times getting together for classes on new techniques for making blocks, or going on trips together to various quilting destinations, gathering for quilt shows, etc.

Respectfully, I don't think socializing (or not) is the measure of introversion.

I'm extremely very introverted, and I socialize - I'm kind of OK at it, actually, happily talking to strangers, being assertive when needful, have plenty friends of various cognitive styles, all that stuff. Yes, most crafters have gatherings available to them, and they're well-attended. I attend some (local and statewide versions), plus regional/national shows and whatnot for my crafts. That's fun.

In my understanding, and oversimplifying, introversion vs. extroversion is more about mental orientation toward one's own thoughts and perceptions, vs. orientation to external interactions. Still overgeneralizing, introverts tend to spend energy while socializing, while extroverts gain energy while socializng. On that same cartoonish kind of continuum, introverts are more likely to feel contented in solo activity, and extroverts more likely to become bored more rapidly. Most people are at no particular extreme of these, but are on some kind of continuum, sometimes in different spots at different times/situations.

I'm not saying that no extrovert quilts/crafts. They do. But, based on the pretty large number of crafters I know - including quilters, which I have in the past been one of myself - the percentage of introverts is higher in the crafts-hobby world than in the overall population. (Yes, this is not a scientific sample.) This is the case even among the crafters I know who are quite social, i.e., pursue lots of group crafting activities.

Bringing this whole tiresome ramble back to the thread: I'm at home alone, watching local friends through Facebook, phone calls, text messages, etc.

Those more introverted are sometimes very anxious about the virus and what will happen, but otherwise kind of "it's a pain that I don't get to see my friends for crafting except on Skype/Zoom, but at least I have plenty of supplies, so meh". The extroverts are much more clearly under stress from isolation, even those who don't live alone. They're posting things like (real quote) "I miss hugs from everyone. Sorry just feeling so isolated." And that's someone who's more self aware: Some of my friends are obviously working out distress through things like unfocused anger, over-drinking, etc.

I don't understand in my gut how it feels to be an extrovert, but I sympathize with (and am concerned for) my more extroverted friends, in a different way than I'm concerned for my more introverted friends.

Point taken on introvert/extrovert being an internal state. I made my judgment based on what I saw in people seeking out social situations and appearing to genuinely enjoy them, and assuming that was a reflection of genuine desire for social interaction, which to me seems like an odd desire to have on a fairly regular basis (typically the quilters I know have gone to at least one weekly quilt-related social event, on top of other social things in their life) if it's a draining experience. But I don't think most of us know that many people well enough to really know what's going on inside their heads. I don't doubt some of them are faking enjoyment in social situations. I fake it sometimes myself. But I don't usually seek out on a repeating basis situations in which I have to fake enjoyment and disguise the fact that it's a draining experience.

Not to belabor it, but I think that just like I don't really understand what it feels like to be an extrovert, you may not be as attuned to introversion. Obviously, different people feel differently, regardless of where they are on that continuum, so I'm not going to psychoanalyze anyone else.

Speaking for myself: I'm strongly introverted by nature, but I enjoy social situations (not faking), to a certain extent, just as (I suspect) many/most extroverts enjoy being alone sometimes. I do lots of things that take energy, and enjoy them. Socializing is one of those. It's stimulating and fun, but it takes energy. At a certain point, I burn out on it, get overloaded, whatever you want to call it, and need to recharge nonsocially. I go to, and enjoy, local craft group meetings weekly (plus), no faking or disguising anything involved.

But this is off-topic to the thread, other than the observation that, as one of the memes joked, introverts have been "Training for this stay-at-home order their whole lives". (But it's a joke, right? :) )

You seem to be assuming I'm an extrovert, which just goes to my point about not knowing what's going on inside someone else's head.

Yes, I did, for which I apologize. I really can't understand being an introvert, but believing that (all?) introverts who socialize are doing something they would truly prefer not to do, or are faking social enjoyment. (<= This is a an admission of my limitations when it comes to understanding what's going on inside others' heads, not a critique of you.)

I'm sure there are some people who are far enough along the introversion continuum that they would not enjoy such social interactions at all, of course. By definition, it's less likely that I've met them at craft meetings/conferences. BTW, I'm not saying that my crafter friends are mostly introverts because I infer that; I'm saying it because it's a thing people talk about, and they've said that . . . and are posting about it in social media now, as people talk about impacts of isolation.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Numbers are starting to increase even faster here: IL up to 4596+ (2026 in Chi alone, another 1419 in suburban Cook County), with 65 deaths (16 in Chi and 24 more in suburban Cook). Outside of Chicago metro, the next biggest cluster is the counties near St Louis, but they still have far fewer cases (or perhaps much less testing).
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    As to the introvert and extrovert discussion above, I think I am in the middle. I do draw energy from being around my people (aka friends and groups) but do not enjoy large groups of strangers. I go home and need to be alone to recharge. Dunno what that makes me. But I do know that my family - both kids and spouse are introverts. They do not seem to mind being self-quarantined. I am getting a bit stir crazy and missing my social groups.

I read this book called Quiet that was pretty helpful to understand them. Lots of research in there and very interesting.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I've been cutting my husband's hair for years, but he likes it super short, so it's easy. I was lucky and got my hair cut just before everything shut down.

We're starting to see cases in my county - 0 to 3 to 5 to 7 to 13 in the past week. The Governor shut us down a bit more than a week ago, so it should flatten out in a week or so, hopefully.

I see walkers and runners all the time lately, which is rather fun since I rarely see any other runners. I think I saw more runners today than I normally see in a month.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I expect other cities are doing something similar (at least I hope they are) but major props to the city of Milwaukee, WI for making sure citizens are able to vote even with the pandemic. Kudos to them. https://jsonline.com/picture-gallery/news/2020/03/28/drive-up-voting-milwaukee-draws-steady-stream-cars/2933272001/