Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I think masks likely do help somewhat but they also would make it harder to forget and touch your face before you can wash your hands again.
  • lemurcat2
    edited March 2020
    Options
    They are turning part of McCormick Place here (huge convention center) into a 3,000 bed field hospital. 500 beds are expected to be there and available later this week. https://blockclubchicago.org/2020/03/30/500-hospital-beds-delivered-to-mccormick-place-as-national-guard-builds-coronavirus-hospital-inside/
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Reporting on New Jersey: the governor (or his account) on Twitter telling people they still cannot pump their own gas, and numerous NJ residents commenting about how very dangerous that would be in this time and how good it is that they are protected from that danger and just generally wondering why anyone would ever want to have self-pumped gas. Occasional residents of other states are remarking that pumping or not pumping gas is unlikely to be a big difference and mentioning that one can wash hands after pumping or wear gloves. The apparent NJ disdain for pumping one's own gas is something that always amuses me.

I'm wondering if I can get through this without needing to get any gas at all.

Lol, that reminds me of when I used to live in NY and used to frequently take people to the Newark, NJ airport. I'd always get gas in NJ cuz it was cheaper and full serve. (My chemical sensitivity was worse then and pumping my own gas could be problematic for me. This is not the case for the vast majority of the population.)

Yes, NJ and OR. Last time I was in OR, I remember I took the rental to gas it up before returning. It was only a few gallons and I kinda felt bad - as though I was wasting the guy's time. He gets done and mentioned how little it was (it was a Ford Explorer, so I'm sure he was expecting it to be a good amount). I explained the situation, but still felt a bit bad for him. I was close to the airport, so I'm sure it wasn't the first time for him either.
  • lemurcat2
    edited March 2020
    Options
    They are turning part of McCormick Place here (huge convention center) into a 3,000 bed field hospital. 500 beds are expected to be there and available later this week. https://blockclubchicago.org/2020/03/30/500-hospital-beds-delivered-to-mccormick-place-as-national-guard-builds-coronavirus-hospital-inside/

I saw this a couple days ago in a group for those of us planning to run the Chicago Marathon (in October). The expo for the marathon is normally at McCormick Place and the person posting was wondering where the expo will be this year. Most of us agreed that if things are still like this in Oct., we won't be having a marathon in 2020 anyway. If things have settled by then, the expo will probably STILL be at McCormick place. These types of buildings can be converted into lots of different things. In fact, I worked for a convention center / arena many years ago. I remember they would haul truckloads of dirt in to setup hilly tracks for motocross and then have a hockey game the next week. It's amazing how quickly these big convention centers and arenas can be converted for all kinds of different uses.

Yep, I've done the Chicago Marathon and was thinking about the expo there too.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    <snip> I don't think there's any way to do it perfectly. I'm hoping that if I do intake any virus it's such a small number of them that I can fight it off? I don't even know if that's a thing.

I guess it's kind of a thing:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2238819-does-a-high-viral-load-or-infectious-dose-make-covid-19-worse/#
  • DecadeDuchess
    DecadeDuchess Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Reporting on New Jersey: the governor (or his account) on Twitter telling people they still cannot pump their own gas, and numerous NJ residents commenting about how very dangerous that would be in this time and how good it is that they are protected from that danger and just generally wondering why anyone would ever want to have self-pumped gas. Occasional residents of other states are remarking that pumping or not pumping gas is unlikely to be a big difference and mentioning that one can wash hands after pumping or wear gloves. The apparent NJ disdain for pumping one's own gas is something that always amuses me.

Lol, that reminds me of when I used to live in NY and used to frequently take people to the Newark, NJ airport. I'd always get gas in NJ cuz it was cheaper and full serve. (My chemical sensitivity was worse then and pumping my own gas could be problematic for me. This is not the case for the vast majority of the population.)

Yes, NJ and OR. Last time I was in OR, I remember I took the rental to gas it up before returning. It was only a few gallons and I kinda felt bad - as though I was wasting the guy's time. He gets done and mentioned how little it was (it was a Ford Explorer, so I'm sure he was expecting it to be a good amount). I explained the situation, but still felt a bit bad for him. I was close to the airport, so I'm sure it wasn't the first time for him either.

It's only New Jersey, now though.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I wash my hands after going to the grocery and wipe down the cart before I use it, but that's as far as it goes. There are very few cases in my county so it's hard to be really paranoid about it. Until a week ago, we had none at all. Avoiding groups and washing hands is as far as I feel it necessary to act.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    <snip> I don't think there's any way to do it perfectly. I'm hoping that if I do intake any virus it's such a small number of them that I can fight it off? I don't even know if that's a thing.

I guess it's kind of a thing:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2238819-does-a-high-viral-load-or-infectious-dose-make-covid-19-worse/#

"Even if the infectious dose isn’t related to disease severity, it still pays to try and minimise our exposure to the virus because this will reduce our chances of falling ill in the first place. “We want to be taking every precaution we can to prevent ourselves getting infected, which will also reduce our ability to pass the virus on to others,” says Parker. “Any measures we can take to avoid infection are worth taking.”"

Thanks for posting that good link that I thought summed it up well. When I went to order more antiviral (Quercetin) and anti-malaria (Artemisinin) supplements I found others had the same idea and had beat me to Amazon so my normal brands were out of stock with no restocking date.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

When did OR change? That story is only from a year ago.
  • foreverslim1111
    foreverslim1111 Posts: 2,607 Member
    Options
    mkculs13 wrote: »
    I was thinking about how I'd love a salad, and the reason I don't have anything to make one is that our produce doesn't last, here in WI, and I haven't been to a grocery store in 2 weeks or more. I bought a wide variety of shelf-stable foods, no more than 2 of any one thing, so I wouldn't have to go to the store. Now I am craving fresh produce. I guess I'll go soon and fill up on salad for a few days, then see if I can last another 2 weeks without any.

I find using these containers makes produce last 4 times longer then storing it without https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-FreshWorks-Produce-Storage-Containers/dp/B01FCR7MYM/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3KGQAEUXBP1P3&amp;keywords=produce+keeper+for+refrigerator&amp;qid=1585614667&amp;sprefix=produce+keepers+,aps,317&amp;sr=8-2 They even make long ones for celery or asparagus
  • DecadeDuchess
    DecadeDuchess Posts: 315 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options

When did OR change? That story is only from a year ago.

I went to check, it wasn't statewide:

Oregon and New Jersey are the only two states that ban self-service gas stations. But thanks to a new law that went into effect on January 1, customers can now pump their own gas in Oregon, though only at stand-alone gas stations in counties with fewer than 40,000 residents. Elsewhere, the ban still holds.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/instituteforjustice/2018/01/03/oregons-freak-out-over-pumping-your-own-gas-shows-why-many-dumb-regulations-still-exist/#2c9bacf8600e

~

Currently:

In an effort to comply with social distancing guidelines, the Oregon State Fire Marshal is suspending its enforcement of gas station self-service regulations.

Effective immediately, gas stations will be allowed to let drivers pump their own gas if they meet any of the following requirements:

The owner (of the gas station) retains documentation that there are no employees available to work as an attendant, including documentation for absences and employee hiring and retention efforts;
    The owner is subject to State Fire Marshal audit and has posted safety signs for how to safely operate a fuel pump; and
    The hours of operation under this subsection do not exceed 10 consecutive hours.

https://www.koin.com/oregon-2/oregon-loosens-self-service-restrictions-for-pumping-gas/
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    I wash my hands after going to the grocery and wipe down the cart before I use it, but that's as far as it goes. There are very few cases in my county so it's hard to be really paranoid about it. Until a week ago, we had none at all. Avoiding groups and washing hands is as far as I feel it necessary to act.

I'm more like you. I always wash my produce, though I think I might start soaking them in white vinegar before using them. I have been making sure not to touch my face or eat anything after shopping or being out in public until I either wash my hands or at least use hand sanitizer. If I run through the drive through, I wait until after I've paid the cashier, then immediately use hand sanitizer I keep in my truck before putting the straw in my drink or picking up any food items, and I try to keep the food items in their wrappers and not touch them directly. Since usually what I'm getting is a plain chicken fillet no bun, that's not too hard - just stab it with a fork and eat it that way!