Coronavirus prep

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited April 2020

Howard County bars sales of nonessential items at essential businesses

https://www.kokomotribune.com/news/local_news/howard-county-bars-sales-of-nonessential-items-at-essential-businesses/article_6d0c2798-7074-11ea-9136-538d5d848958.html

Howard County has banned the sale of these items in local stores during its stay-at-home order:

Banned purchases
    Jewelry.
    Furniture.
    Home and lawn decor.
    Toys and games.
    Carpets.
    Rugs and flooring.
    Non-emergency appliances.
    Music.
    Books and magazines.
    Craft and art supplies.
    Paint.
    Entertainment electronics.

Staying entertained during a long quarantine seems to me to be pretty essential. Not everyone spends all day watching TV. Books, art supplies, music, etc. and even home repair or decorating seem to me to be a very valid way of enduring the long quarantine.

Of the things you mentioned, you can get books via the Kindle app without ever leaving home. You can also get tons of music to listen to via spotify or Itunes. Art supplies can be more problematic. I hardly watch TV now or prior to the coronavirus. I am also a muscian. So, multiple instruments are at hand and plenty of material and tutorials via YouTube to learn and existing material to practice and perfect.

Then of course there is a daily walk or run and body weight and resistance band workouts for the upper body and abs. Haven't gotten bored yet....
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited April 2020
    COGypsy wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

https://www.kokomotribune.com/news/local_news/howard-county-bars-sales-of-nonessential-items-at-essential-businesses/article_6d0c2798-7074-11ea-9136-538d5d848958.html

Howard County has banned the sale of these items in local stores during its stay-at-home order:

Banned purchases
    Jewelry.
    Furniture.
    Home and lawn decor.
    Toys and games.
    Carpets.
    Rugs and flooring.
    Music.
    Books and magazines.
    Craft and art supplies.
    Paint.

Staying entertained during a long quarantine seems to me to be pretty essential. Not everyone spends all day watching TV. Books, art supplies, music, etc. and even home repair or decorating seem to me to be a very valid way of enduring the long quarantine.

I'd assume books can be delivered. My local indie bookstore says: "We can now ship books directly from our distributor's warehouse to your front door. All you have to do is place your order through our website and select our regular USPS shipping option, then we'll take it from there! This will be the fastest way to get your books moving forward, and the best way to continue to support The Book Cellar.

Now more than ever, it is important to shop locally. As many of you have likely heard, Amazon confirmed that it’s significantly delaying US deliveries of all nonessential items during the coronavirus pandemic. According to product listings on its website, some of these shipments will be delayed by as much as a month. So don’t forget to look to your local shops and vendors! We’re here to help!"

A huge number of other local stores (like my local gardening store) have gone to online only.

I feel bad for all the local businesses, but I really do think it's best to have very limited in store options right now.

Shopping locally is more important than ever. I suspect that restaurants and breweries will be shut down completely in the next couple of weeks, which will be disastrous for many of them. I’m taking every advantage of online ordering and curbside pickup for as long as I can. I live in a very “neighborhood-y” neighborhood, so I know the owners and workers at a lot of our local shops. I’m lucky enough to have a job where I can work remotely, so I figure that as long as my neighbors are open, I’ll be supporting them.

Yeah, same here, in just about all respects (except I don't think restaurants will close completely, although Chef Barbell makes a valid point). Our neighborhood chamber of commerce has a nice list of who is open and how to buy from them.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    mmapags wrote: »

Of the things you mentioned, you can get books via the Kindle app without ever leaving home. You can also get tons of music to listen to via spotify or Itunes. Art supplies can be more problematic. I hardly watch TV now or prior to the coronavirus. I am also a muscian. So, multiple instruments are at hand and plenty of material and tutorials via YouTube to learn and existing material to practice and perfect.

Then of course there is a daily walk or run and body weight and resistance band workouts for the upper body and abs. Haven't gotten bored yet....[/quote]

I play the piano, but can't play by ear to save my life - I need the sheet music in front of me, so using YouTube doesn't work in this case. Not that I need more sheet music now, anyway :)
  • mmapags

Then of course there is a daily walk or run and body weight and resistance band workouts for the upper body and abs. Haven't gotten bored yet....

I play the piano, but can't play by ear to save my life - I need the sheet music in front of me, so using YouTube doesn't work in this case. Not that I need more sheet music now, anyway :)
    [/quote]

True. But there are many sites that provide downloadable sheet music for a fairly low price. One that I use has a $9.99 U.S. subscription price for a year! Sounds like you have enough to keep you busy.

I play various styles from rock to bossa and a little classical and I've used these sites very successfully. Especially for Jazz scores. I am not musically fluent enough to play jazz but I sing jazz vocals and have often downloaded the sheet music and printed it for the musicians accompanying me.
  • mmapags

Banned purchases
    Jewelry.
    Furniture.
    Home and lawn decor.
    Toys and games.
    Carpets.
    Rugs and flooring.
    Music.
    Books and magazines.
    Craft and art supplies.
    Paint.

Personally, in addition to work and gardening, I'm also back to trying to learn German, which also is something I can work on online (although I have books too).

Great point a about language learning! Since moving to Mexico almost 2 years ago (and for some time before in preparation), I've been working at becoming more fluent in Spanish. So, I have more time to get better at it right now.

Just as an aside, we have been able to learn much from being behind the curve here in Mexico. The overall numbers are very low, 1215 cases in the whole country and 29 deaths and it is progressing at a very slow rate so far. Social distancing and staying en casa has been happening for a couple of weeks and that seems to be holding the numbers down.

Here in the state of Oaxaca, where we live, there are only 14 cases with no new ones in a few days. Mexico City has 234 cases as of today and, while that seems like a more, it is a city of over 25,000,000. Time will tell how it develops but I think there may have been a benefit to being a little later in the curve and learning from what has happened in other places.

• lemurcat2
    Ruatine wrote: »
    The zip code with the most cases also happens to be the "rich" part of town (finding a house for less than $500k is rare), which makes me wonder if the increased cases there are from people coming home from international trips, especially from Spring break a couple weeks ago.

That was the upshot of the piece I linked earlier about the Chicago burbs. Chicago itself has the most cases (but suburban Cook has more deaths so far), but some of the communities on the North Shore (rich areas with impressive hospitals) have even more diagnosed cases per population than Chicago, and the question was whether it's that those areas are getting more tests for obvious reasons, so more mild cases are being diagnosed (I suspect this is the real reason) or if it might be more people who had been traveling internationally. Of course, with O'Hare, Chicago as a whole is affected by international travel, and the city certainly is very interconnected internationally. And one of the perks of the nice North Shore burbs here is they tend to have easy metra travel to the city so you don't have to drive (which could obviously mean more opportunity for transmission). Although that is not unique to them, it is probably a higher percentage than other suburbanites.
    I'm beginning to remember why I stopped working from home 5 years ago. I've only been working from home now for 2 weeks, but I'm finding the lack of getting out and about and talking face to face with people depressing. I haven't been grocery shopping for 2 weeks and really do need to go - I'm out of several food items that I regularly use - but I'm loathe to go to the grocery store. The couple times I went out to get a few items for my grandmother were hellish - going from store to store to store trying to find basic items like milk, butter, flour. :/

Yeah, I also hate working from home for similar reasons, although I'm dealing okay so far. I normally would have hated the idea of Zoom but I get the benefits now. I did go grocery shopping today (the first time in about 2 weeks), and the grocery seemed normal (I went to a small local grocery but reports are that my closest chain and the closest TJs are also pretty normal).
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member

Great point a about language learning! Since moving to Mexico almost 2 years ago (and for some time before in preparation), I've been working at becoming more fluent in Spanish. So, I have more time to get better at it right now.

I have wanted to learn Welsh for years, but I don't do well with just being given a bunch of phrases like so many online tutorials do; I need to learn the grammar at the same time, but can't find any online classes in the US like that. Duolingo has it, I think, but its learn a bunch of phrases. I want to know how to form my own proper sentences so that if I need to say something that isn't a stock phrase, I can! that and I want to learn to read it as well as speak it. And its not exactly something I can just teach myself because while Welsh might use the same alphabet letters, they don't get pronounced the same, and a lot of those "this letter in language A sounds like this word in English" doesn't compute - I'm born and bread in West Virginia and we don't pronounce hardly anything like the rest of the English speaking world......
  • lemurcat2
    Duolingo has it. I don't know if it's good, but worth a try as it's no cost. I've thought about it -- Welsh, Swedish, and German are languages I've considered (I studied French and Russian in school and learned some Spanish and Italian before trips). Ultimately I've done Swedish and German on Duolingo (and now German at a local learning center online), and would love to do Welsh too.

The phrases are often hilarious -- I know how to say, in German, "I am not pregnant, I am a man," and "the duck ran around the pig," among other silly things, but I do think they are teaching concepts in a way.
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Duolingo has it. I don't know if it's good, but worth a try as it's no cost. I've thought about it -- Welsh, Swedish, and German are languages I've considered (I studied French and Russian in school and learned some Spanish and Italian before trips). Ultimately I've done Swedish and German on Duolingo (and now German at a local learning center online), and would love to do Welsh too.

The phrases are often hilarious -- I know how to say, in German, "I am not pregnant, I am a man," and "the duck ran around the pig," among other silly things, but I do think they are teaching concepts in a way.

I tried learning Spanish with Duolingo since Spanish is as ubiquitous as English here. I should pick it up again, now that I'm home more. I found with the first go that there are some useful community features with Duolingo where you can get insight from native and non-native fluent speakers for questions not answered by the standard lessons. I also really liked they have lessons that incorporate listening and speaking.
  • lemurcat2
    Ruatine wrote: »

I tried learning Spanish with Duolingo since Spanish is as ubiquitous as English here. I should pick it up again, now that I'm home more. I found with the first go that there are some useful community features with Duolingo where you can get insight from native and non-native fluent speakers for questions not answered by the standard lessons. I also really liked they have lessons that incorporate listening and speaking.

My dad lives in Mexico part of the year (just returned on Sunday), and he's been using Duolingo and likes it.